The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Ebay 16g rebuild kit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1slota

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2010
new braunfels, Texas
I bout my car with what appears to be an ebay 16g installed. The turbo says "TURBOCHARGER" on the housing so I'm pretty sure it screams knockoff.
I noticed some shaft play yesterday. Nothing obscene but I'd prefer none at all. I know everyone dogs on rebuilding these things but funds aren't really available for me to upgrade to a genuine turbo at this time.
The thing spools up at 3k rpm and boosts enough pressure for my needs at this time. So the longer I can make this chinese piece work, the better. I've read different things, some saying that you need to rebuild kits, 16g/t3. Is this right? I know it's only around 100 bucks more to buy a new knock off than rebuilding it, but i don't want to spend it just for the bearings to wear out in a few thousand miles like this one apeared to do.

A new knockoff turbo is $200 or less; it doesn't pay to rebuild them.

well what I'm thinking is, throwing close to 200 bucks at a knock off like the one already have would just wear out as quickly as this one seemed to. If all i need is t3 bearings(found those for 20 bucks) and a 16g rebuild kit for 50, wouldn't I be better off doing that then throwin close to 200 at the same junk I already have? What exactly causes the rapid shaft play in these knock offs? if I can resolve that issue I'd really rather just hang onto this thing and keep it going. School is killin me as far as funds go. So pardon my penny pinching here.

If all i need is t3 bearings(found those for 20 bucks) and a 16g rebuild kit for 50
Add a T3 turbine seal to that list. You might as well buy both kits for roughly $100....which is half the price of a replacement turbo in parts alone.

Jusmx would you care to explain why it doesnt pay to rebuild an ebay 16g housing with mitsu internals?
Because Mitsu internals do not fit.

I've got one of these CX Racing turbos. The turbine wheel looks identical. I havent ever opened it up to look at it though.

I am just keeping as a backup. If the hotside starts rusting I think I am gonna powder coat and use it as desk decoration.

I guess I'll just rebuild this thing and see how long it lasts. even if I only save 70 or 80 bucks and maybe end up with something that lasts as long or longer than a replacement knock-off it's worth a shot to me. I'll keep the thread posted as to how the thing holds up over time.

guess what. Just started showin smoke out the exhaust, smells like a two cycle so I'm guessing the turbine seal is toast. So the kit you posted up should be everything I need right? just want to make sure... It's guys like you that save us dsm noobs. All my knowlage lays in the lt1 chevy small block...

well... just ordered the kit. Hopefully everything fits. Thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back