The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Easy wastegate creep solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.4 turbo Hyped

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Just wanted to share an easy way to eliminate wastegate creep.

After trying several different mbcs and growing tired of the wastegate slowly opening and messing with my fuel trims I wanted to figure out a way to open the wastegate on or off like a switch.

Heres what I came up with you will need a hobbs switch and your old boost control solenoid.

I think this is self explanatory but here goes, hook the hobbs switch to a power source, the boost control solenoid, and a boost source (I threaded the hobbs switch directly into my compressor housing).

Put the boost control solenoid inline with the wastegate vaccum line.

The hobbs switch is adjustable from 6 psi to 30+psi (havent tried it this high but there is plenty of threads inside it to do so). The hobbs switch sends power to the boost control solenoid at a certain psi of boost that you set ,therefore opening the boost control solenoid and letting the "turbo pressure" open the wastegate. Once the solenoid closes so does the wastegate just like a switch. This is a similair setup that the expensive electronic boost controllers offer but without the fancy screen or controller.

The wastegate now opens like a switch rather than a gradual opening and makes it alot easier to tune with / scare people on the highway. :thumb:

Damn good boost controller for less than 30 bucks.

Yes Im running it as my boost controller right now and it works great.

i don't really know what a hobbs thingy is, but could you use a TurboXS MBC in place of the hobbs and set the pressure that way? or do u need something that isn't spring loaded?

ninety7gst said:
i don't really know what a hobbs thingy is, but could you use a TurboXS MBC in place of the hobbs and set the pressure that way? or do u need something that isn't spring loaded?

The whole point is to get rid of the spring loaded garbage so you dont have wastegate creep.

i thought that the BCS was controlled w/ vaccum lines, i used the lines i pulled off for a vaccum hose on something else of my car...

ninety7gst said:
i thought that the BCS was controlled w/ vaccum lines, i used the lines i pulled off for a vaccum hose on something else of my car...

It's controlled by the ECU. When the ECU detects knock, its job is to close up so the entire boost signal hits the wastegate, and boost decreases.

psychlow said:
It's controlled by the ECU. When the ECU detects knock, its job is to close up so the entire boost signal hits the wastegate, and boost decreases.

Actually it opens and is in a normally closed position unless 12 volts is applied to it.

Heres a pic of the setup. Nothing visually impressive just damn good boost control for cheap.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

View Full Size at Glowfoto

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

View Full Size at Glowfoto

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back