The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G "Early 95" Timing Belt Tensioner Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMlover2011

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone. I recently ordered a timing belt tensioner MD308086 for my build. I have a 97 GST but I'm going to be using an engine out of a 95 GSX. It turns out that early 95 engines have a different tensioner than later 2g motors. Unfortunately, I can't make out the VIN number on the 95 block so I have no idea if it is an "early 95" engine. So, I did some research and came across post 18 and 22 at this link---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/early-95-timing-tensioner-build-date-dec-94.312293/

According to Grimis, late 2g timing belt tensioners can be used on "early 95" engines if you trim the lower timing belt cover. Can anyone else verify this? Is the timing belt cover the only thing preventing a late 2g tensioner from being used on any early 95 engine?

Bringing this back from the dead. Can anyone confirm this?

Can you use a late 2G tensioner on a early 95 block??

Last edited:
I believe 6 and 7 bolts on the timing side are interchangeable so any should work

6 bolt and 7bolt have different bolt holes. I’m talking about early and late 7 bolt tensioners if they are interchangeable

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back