The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

eagle h beam rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g awd dsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 24, 2011
longview, Washington
hey there i am trying to figure out if stock 6 bolt pistons can be used with forged eagle H beam rods. i dont really have money to buy pistons and mine are fine anyone that can help please send me any info you have.

thanks, josh.

No, eagle rods use a floating pin, stock rods use a press pin. The stock pistons don't have a groove for the locking circlips to hold the pin in. It is kind of silly to run stock pistons with eagle rods being that the stock 6 bolt rods are stronger than the stock 6 bolt pistons. Why are you upgrading the rods? You do know that the stock 6 bolt rods are good for 500+ horsepower right.

Not without extensive machine work. the stock 6 bolt rod uses a press fit wrist pin. the eagle rods have a bushing in the small end of the rod for a floating wrist pin.

haha you beat me to it.

well i seem to have a SMALL bottom end noise. i wouldnt even say its a tap or knock... yet.... my guess is that its gonna be something to do with rods/bearings. so before i figure out exactly what it is then i am just lookin around at stuff i could do. where can i find oem rods for a decent price? id like new but i guess remanufactured could work.

well i seem to have a SMALL bottom end noise. i wouldnt even say its a tap or knock... yet.... my guess is that its gonna be something to do with rods/bearings. so before i figure out exactly what it is then i am just lookin around at stuff i could do. where can i find oem rods for a decent price? id like new but i guess remanufactured could work.

You can have your rods rebuilt for around 10-15 bucks a piece.

Can you send me a link to the pistons you bought?

Here's the link for the ones I'm buying this week. The ones I bought last year were the same, just from a different site, but they have crappy customer relations so I will never buy from them again, or set anyone on here up for failure with them. These are even $10.00 cheaper than the other place was last year. Hope this works out for you.

WISECO FORGED PISTONS & RINGS | 4G63 | 90-99 DSM

Here's the link for the ones I'm buying this week. The ones I bought last year were the same, just from a different site, but they have crappy customer relations so I will never buy from them again, or set anyone on here up for failure with them. These are even $10.00 cheaper than the other place was last year. Hope this works out for you.

WISECO FORGED PISTONS & RINGS | 4G63 | 90-99 DSM

for that price i would go with Arias pistons and if you want a cheaper price n a good piston Manley

On a stock rod you don't need anything more than a set of oem pistons. Unless you are shooting for 500+ horsepower i wouldn't even think about buying forged pistons.

Ditto. How many miles do you have on the motor? I just hit 137k & planned on dropping in 6 bolt connecting rods mated to my 2g pistons.

Ditto. How many miles do you have on the motor? I just hit 137k & planned on dropping in 6 bolt connecting rods mated to my 2g pistons.

Well... That's what really sucks it's a rebuilt motor me and my buddy just rebuilt but we used the rods and pistons that came with it everything was supposed to be new on the engine when I bought it so I just went and replaced the bearings with ACL bearings and reassembled the block fired it up and it's got a bottom end noise. So ya I am just gonna rebuild the bottom end again but I'm gonna get new rods this time any help is appreciated

Well... That's what really sucks it's a rebuilt motor me and my buddy just rebuilt but we used the rods and pistons that came with it everything was supposed to be new on the engine when I bought it so I just went and replaced the bearings with ACL bearings and reassembled the block fired it up and it's got a bottom end noise. So ya I am just gonna rebuild the bottom end again but I'm gonna get new rods this time any help is appreciated

Just get your rods rebuilt. They are just as good as new rods if they are rebuilt. It will cost you 10-15 per rod.

I don't believe getting new rods or having yours reconditioned will fix your knocking issue. Did you have a machine shop check your crank? That is where your knock must be coming from. You could be running the wrong size bearings. If your crank is bad or needs to be cut then i would look at a new crank. Getting a different set of rods and pistons will be a waste of $ with a bad crank. You'll be doing the whole job over again 5 minutes after you get it running.

Getting rods reconditioned won't fix your knocking issue. Did you have a machine shop check your crank? That is where your knock must be coming from. You could be running the wrong size bearings. If your crank is bad or needs to be cut then i would look at a new crank. Getting a different set of rods and pistons will be a waste of $ with a bad crank. You'll be doing the whole job over again 5 minutes after you get it running.

IF the rod was out of round of the rod caps were mixed up than that could most certainly cause improper clearance in the bottom end or a spun bearing. It is also perfectly fine to turn the crank as long as you don't go any more than .010.

Getting rods reconditioned won't fix your knocking issue. Did you have a machine shop check your crank? That is where your knock must be coming from. You could be running the wrong size bearings. If your crank is bad or needs to be cut then i would look at a new crank. Getting a different set of rods and pistons will be a waste of $ with a bad crank. You'll be doing the whole job over again 5 minutes after you get it running.

i plan on sending the crank to the shop along with the block and now possibly the rods. no it wasnt checked last time. that could be why its messing up thanks for the feedback.

ok so ill take the crank in and have it checked along with the rods and rebuilt if needed. what about the block just get it hot tanked maybe bore if i get new pistons?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back