The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Eagle crank advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
With stock cranks seeming to be harder to find I came across a sweet deal on an unused eagle crank. $300 to my door.

I have heard they need machining to work right... looking for experience so I know what Id be getti g into before I buy it

We have one of the top crankshaft grinders in the country right here in Colorado.

Mile High Crankshaft. He has my 3800 crank right now. Been a long time customer. He has machined literally hundreds of crankshafts for me.

No need for him to outsource to some weirdo in Washington who is going to outsource it himself.
Thats good to know and worth the hour drive

Fun thing I learned this weekend. Eagle doesn't tap the flywheel bolts deep enough, so watch that. Stock flywheel bolts on an act flywheel bottom out with almost a turn to go before touching flywheel. Stock cranks are good in this regard, usually deep enough for even a thin flywheel like a quartermaster.

Oh and the damn timing keyway isn't mahcined deep enough either.

Fun thing I learned this weekend. Eagle doesn't tap the flywheel bolts deep enough, so watch that. Stock flywheel bolts on an act flywheel bottom out with almost a turn to go before touching flywheel. Stock cranks are good in this regard, usually deep enough for even a thin flywheel like a quartermaster.

Oh and the damn timing keyway isn't mahcined deep enough either.
Wonder how it will line up with the kiggly flexplate....

May have to tap them a bit deeper if you don't have the shorter and thin headed bolts, IIRC. I wlll be watching and checking that. Thanks @bastarddsm !

Oh no doubt but so was a Stainless BEP housing, none of their holes were good and I went thru 2 taps fixing one housing. It may not be easy but if it is necessary........
Appreciate the tips !

Please let us all know :thumb:;)
The quarter master twin flywheel bolted up to mine fine and dandy!

What crank keyway do you need to compare to? A stock one or an Eagle one?
My keyway in my Red Talons crank (Eagle) is fine, no issues at all on that. I have a stocker I could measure if that is what you need or I can measure the other Eagle crank.
Let me know. :)

What crank keyway do you need to compare to? A stock one or an Eagle one?
My keyway in my Red Talons crank (Eagle) is fine, no issues at all on that. I have a stocker I could measure if that is what you need or I can measure the other Eagle crank.
Let me know. :)
The stocker would be good. Just going off @bastarddsm post I want to check these things.

From what Im seeing eagle can be hit or miss in some areas. I can confirm mine works with the kiggly plate just fine as pictured above.

Ps... the guy emailed me and found 2 more

Remind me to check a stock crank this afternoon. I have one in the garage. Just check the depth?
And REALLY???? Hmmm :hmm: :thumb:

I measured 1 Manley crank and 1 Stock crank for depth and lengths. Here are the pictures Sean.
The first 2 are stock measurements and the second 2 are Manley measurements.
Manley has a slightly deeper and longer key way slot.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check your flexplate again, that black part is on upside down. put each bolt in on it's own by hand count turns till it bottoms. try again with flexplate and all on there. You need a whole turn min. to be safe. It ruins everything when it's wrong.

Key wasn't deep enough, crank pulley won't go on. Probably easiest to put a key in and measure overall height of key and crank to compare.

I have updated pics... can confirm flexplate bolts are fine regardless.. sunk one for reference without plate or spacer

Other numbers are fractionally off of yours marty. Would like to have a keyway to verify

The numbers vary, as we see, between factory and 2 other brands. It could be up to Quality Control in each instance. Everyone has their +/- tolerances. Unfortunately, every now and then they all add up to not be good together but generally, they usually do a ok job. I really like having my rotating assembly balanced at the shop 45 mins from my house for the best results possible, but that doesn't always happen for every build.

@enriquez2000 aren't there some oilway plugs in that crank? That's what I've heard of as sometimes a problem with the Eagle cranks. A plug can vibrate out. Aaron (JohnBradley) at English Racing posted this in Evom way back in 2011: "We havent seen any issues with the balance on an Eagle, the main thing is getting the galley plugs out, look in the bores, reinstall with threadlocker and prine (peen?) the end over so they cant walk out. As soon as one of those is gone so is the oil pressure and the motor."
Maybe this is no longer a problem, I don't know. That was a long time ago. Maybe Eagle is peening the plug ends over now so you don't have to mess with it.

Once on a 1965 Alfa Romeo Veloce engine I had to take their silly lead plugs out of the crank oilways, tap the holes! (they were nitrided cranks) and put threaded plugs in there. Loctite and peen. Yeeesh. That was standard "preemptive" practice on those engines. Be thankful you don't have to do that! I hope.

Last edited:
I got my OEM crank key in today and it fits the new Eagle crank perfect. I will see if I can find a crank pulley and check for fit and see if it will slip on, for more info on this thread this weekend! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back