The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Eagle crank advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
With stock cranks seeming to be harder to find I came across a sweet deal on an unused eagle crank. $300 to my door.

I have heard they need machining to work right... looking for experience so I know what Id be getti g into before I buy it

Yes, unless you have measuring equipment, I would have them check it over. Mine had not been ran but it was purchased second hand in a partially assembled engine, I beleive it was like that out of the box. Someone thought it was good enough to run as is. I'd like it better for me.

Yes, unless you have measuring equipment, I would have them check it over. Mine had not been ran but it was purchased second hand in a partially assembled engine, I beleive it was like that out of the box. Someone thought it was good enough to run as is. I'd like it better for me.
I wouldnt want anything but correct spec. For 300 and not findong a crank anywherr else is it worth it?

I have a 100mm here, and the rod journals are hourglassed. The mains are pretty good, but one is on the edge of the limit for taper.

For such a well respected brand name I would call that total horseshit for quality control.
Being barely just within the lines shouldnt be the standard they shoot for.
Going to have to add Eagle to my carefully considered only list.

For such a well respected brand name I would call that total horseshit for quality control.
Being barely just within the lines shouldnt be the standard they shoot for.
Going to have to add Eagle to my carefully considered only list.
Eagle’s website explicitly states that the crankshaft needs to be balanced, so a trip to the machine shop is mandatory regardless, where any competent machinist will spot other issues. Eagle essentially outsources the quality control and finishing to the user, and putting the onus on the user to make it right. It’s been like this for years, their crank is a known commodity.

Eagle’s website explicitly states that the crankshaft needs to be balanced, so a trip to the machine shop is mandatory regardless, where any competent machinist will spot other issues. Eagle essentially outsources the quality control and finishing to the user, and putting the onus on the user to make it right. It’s been like this for years, their crank is a known commodity.
Even a stock crank needs to be inspected before a build. And at 30 plus years good ones are near impossible to find

Eagle outsources EVERYTHING now is what you mean.

They used to have pretty good stuff. Not world beating, but not the subpar "its up to you to do all the work so our asses are totally covered" crap they put out now. And they used to be all made in the USA stuff. Sad.

Eagle outsources EVERYTHING now is what you mean.

They used to have pretty good stuff. Not world beating, but not the subpar "its up to you to do all the work so our asses are totally covered" crap they put out now. And they used to be all made in the USA stuff. Sad.
The percentage of things you said that are true is 0. stop spreading misinformation.

Alright so I stand corrected.
However it sounds fishy as hell and a great way to absolve themselves of rectifying any failure
I doubt many would tolerate the same kind of thing from other manufacturers.
Imagine FP saying you need to balance their turbo rotating assembly yourself before using
Or if they only produced rough cam blanks and you had to grind down to their spec yourself
They should be a ready to run, balanced and cut down to OE spec. You can get it further modified if you want because it's doubtful you'd run anything tighter than factory journal diameters. At least the quality then would be and should be consistent.

/Old guy rant

The percentage of things you said that are true is 0. stop spreading misinformation.

Make me. Also prove their stuff was never made in the USA or advertised as such.

Stop being an asshole just for the sake of being an asshole. I swear you’re gonna be that 70 year old wrinkly dude who can barely walk but still acts tough and acts like he can fight anything. LOL

Typical idiot response. Sorry I'm not one to give someone a star for rattle canning a set of brake calipers and crying to the internet the whole time....
Eagle has always been bottom of the barrel china stuff since the begining of time. Any real enging builder knows that. 5 min of google shows posts from the begining of forums about eagle cranks poorly machined, rods off size, ect. They were never a premium US brand, they never had good quality control, they never made anything but the cheapest shit you could come up with. Does the stuff work, usually. So yeah, crawl back into whatever gator pond you came from and tell them your bs.

I wouldnt want anything but correct spec. For 300 and not findong a crank anywherr else is it worth it?
Your thread has gotten off track, but yeah at 300 it's probably not bad. I think mine was oversize so it wouldn't be a huge deal to get it corrected. Your's might be good, never know, I might be more paticular about it than I need be. Need a good machine shop that can grind cranks. You might try someone like english since you are out west. They won't grind them, BUT I think I remember seeing someone from there commenting on getting one fixed up, so they might know where.

I think there is a little misunderstanding.
There is NO off the shelf crank that is perfectly balanced for your specific setup right out of the box. Not only Eagle crank, does not matter which brand. Because how can the manufacturers know what pistons/rods we're gonna use with the crank?
Eagle mention in the listing page that crank needs to be balanced to match specific pistons and rods is a general thing, they are not talking about specifically Eagle crank. It would technically need to be even if with OEM crank if you change the pistons/rods with aftermarket ones.

Just sharing my experience with Eagle cranks as most of time I use new Eagle crank on my builds and have sold several new Eagle cranks/rods, too. I have measured some amount of NEW eagle cranks by myself and not even once it was out of spec to be honest.The story may be a bit different if the crank is used or not exactly new from factory.

The only issue I had with a new Eagle crank was over a decade ago, the crank pulley bolt hole "looked like" a tiny bit off-centered. (I didn't notice it if it wasn't spinning on the machine). The Eagle rep told me that it wouldn't be an issue once balanced but anyways Eagle was willing to exchange even if it was within the spec or not, so I exchanged it. Then a machinist and I checked the replacement and all good. Since then I have no issue at all with new Eagle cranks.

Everyone has different opinion and preference, and I don't say all Eagle cranks in the market are good. But this is my own true experiences and I can say that at least the ones I have had for the last 10 years were all good. And I have never received any complains about the quality control from customers.

There is NO off the shelf crank that is perfectly balanced for your specific setup right out of the box. Not only Eagle crank, does not matter which brand. Because how can the manufacturers know what pistons/rods we're gonna use with the crank?
Eagle mention in the listing page that crank needs to be balanced to match specific pistons and rods is a general thing, they are not talking about specifically Eagle crank. It would technically need to be even if with OEM crank if you change the pistons/rods with aftermarket ones.

Just sharing my experience with Eagle cranks as most of time I use new Eagle crank on my builds and have sold several new Eagle cranks/rods, too. I have measured some amount of NEW eagle cranks by myself and not even once it was out of spec to be honest.The story may be a bit different if the crank is used or not exactly new from factory.

The only issue I had with a new Eagle crank was over a decade ago, the crank pulley bolt hole "looked like" a tiny bit off-centered. (I didn't notice it if it wasn't spinning on the machine). The Eagle rep told me that it wouldn't be an issue once balanced but anyways Eagle was willing to exchange even if it was within the spec or not, so I exchanged it. Then a machinist and I checked the replacement and all good. Since then I have no issue at all with new Eagle cranks.

Everyone has different opinion and preference, and I don't say all Eagle cranks in the market are good. But this is my own true experiences and I can say that at least the ones I have had for the last 10 years were all good. And I have never received any complains about the quality control from customers.
This is good feedback. Now given if both stock and eagle are useable do you prefer one of the other?

Thank you for a clear, honest and factually accurate bit of information based on proven first hand experience. I've already bought an Eagle crank so people were starting to worry me a little. I always look forward to your responses in threads.

regarding balancing, component balance vs full balance are two separate things and most will say or require you to do a full install balance for the new parts choces as its not oem and every item is different!

oem is easy as they know the base weights and its going to be close enough to balance that crank almost perfectly to oem parts ONLY! anything else even nippon pistons likely needs a new full re balance.

over the years Eagle have always come up in feeds on cranks specifically. the overall quality seems to get worse year by year and some other groups reporting of oval or undersized journals so they dont match across the crank! its a cheap crank but needs work and i would never opt for them myself even for the cheap price, go to one of the better finished items for a much better finished item, even those can be off but some companys check them well and dont have any issues.

regarding balancing, component balance vs full balance are two separate things and most will say or require you to do a full install balance for the new parts choces as its not oem and every item is different!

oem is easy as they know the base weights and its going to be close enough to balance that crank almost perfectly to oem parts ONLY! anything else even nippon pistons likely needs a new full re balance.

over the years Eagle have always come up in feeds on cranks specifically. the overall quality seems to get worse year by year and some other groups reporting of oval or undersized journals so they dont match across the crank! its a cheap crank but needs work and i would never opt for them myself even for the cheap price, go to one of the better finished items for a much better finished item, even those can be off but some companys check them well and dont have any issues.
I wanted a Manley, but when I was ready to buy the crank finally it seems Eagle is the only forged crank available standard stroke for the 6bolt anymore..

I wanted a Manley, but when I was ready to buy the crank finally it seems Eagle is the only forged crank available standard stroke for the 6bolt anymore..
Things like this will become more of a problem later on BUT if the bigger brands get hounded enough they could look into re making the 88mm stroke cranks

Things like this will become more of a problem later on BUT if the bigger brands get hounded enough they could look into re making the 88mm stroke cranks
I found a machine shop locally I’m targeting for the short block and machining part of things. Pretty confident they can handle it. Supposedly really good at balancing assemblies.
https://enginelaboftampa.com/

Have the whole rotating assembly balanced and you will be happy you did. That way you know it's the best it can be.
I have one balanced 4g motor and one SBC that is balanced. The SBC just sits in the bay running and doesn't wiggle or move at all. The 4g motor is in my Red 90 that is about to get running again. Both have Eagle cranks.

Your thread has gotten off track, but yeah at 300 it's probably not bad. I think mine was oversize so it wouldn't be a huge deal to get it corrected. Your's might be good, never know, I might be more paticular about it than I need be. Need a good machine shop that can grind cranks. You might try someone like english since you are out west. They won't grind them, BUT I think I remember seeing someone from there commenting on getting one fixed up, so they might know where.
We have one of the top crankshaft grinders in the country right here in Colorado.

Mile High Crankshaft. He has my 3800 crank right now. Been a long time customer. He has machined literally hundreds of crankshafts for me.

No need for him to outsource to some shop in Washington who is going to outsource it himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back