The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

E85 spark plug question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 gst spyder

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2007
st. paul, Minnesota
Just done with dyno and everything went great.. I have bpr7es while dyno/tune and now I seem to get spark blow out or major stutter when full boost and in the high rpm level at 5k plus to redline... Gap at .24.

So my question is how often am I suppose to change it or am I suppose to change it right after the dyno?

On e85 you are just fine with br7(I would personally try BR7ES, w/out the P). I think its something to do with the temp of the fuel. Gas is hotter therefore people move up to br8,br9. E85 burns cooler so Br7's are ok. Anyway, thats what i was told a year ago or more by several people.

At 30+ psi i would have to gap down to what Derail said: .018. Just fyi.

How much boost are you running?

I also run non-projected plugs (BR8ES) gapped at .018". I replace plugs about twice a year for $10 a set...

I have also had plug wires suddenly "go bad" and cause spark blowout. They looked fine, but when I replaced them with new ones the issue stopped immediately.

How much boost are you running?

I also run non-projected plugs (BR8ES) gapped at .018". I replace plugs about twice a year for $10 a set...

I have also had plug wires suddenly "go bad" and cause spark blowout. They looked fine, but when I replaced them with new ones the issue stopped immediately.

I'm at 29psi now.... Is that too much for tuned stock motor! I'll try to regap them at .018 to .020 and see how they run... Then if not I'll get new spark plugs and or switch my wires...

Whoa.... runnin a bit lean? Those all the same age? I would be checking your knock sensor and making sure its working and next set of plugs i would do a pull and immediately shut the engine off and coast to a stop. Then pull them and "read". Thats just an old school trick. If those look that bad the combustion chamber/pistons/valves might have been burned as well.

edited out, just checked your profile, Jake. This new site, LOL, im still fumbling a little. Its great though

Last edited:
Wow ! .. someone definitely has a lean problem if you blew the ground electrode right off....

Alcohol has a lot less BTU (explosion) output than does dino fuels, where the plus side is the 100 plus octane that alcohol contains to prevent knock.

Why alcohol funny cars do it well ...

Thus, to get the same BTU as the dino fuels contains, we definitely need to rich up that E85 mixture with different fuel mods, mapping and settings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back