The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G E33A Galant tranny on 1G N/T FWD DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamadaaaa009

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2023
Asia
I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS.
My transmission has been making grinding noises every shift. It becomes louder at higher RPM and when downshifting. My mechanic recommended me to just replace the whole transmission as they're not sure if rebuilding would fix it totally. DSMs are rare in my country so finding a transmission from another Eclipse is nearly impossible but the E33A Galant (FWD, n/a) is very common here.

Would their transmission fit? I've read somewhere that they're also an F5M22 tranny but with different gear ratios, would it affect anything or is it just a bolt on?

Last edited:
Definitely verify the whole transmission code on any transmission you buy. It looks like a F5M22 from a Galant should bolt up. Same starter plates, same ring gears.

Use the transmission mount from your Eclipse. You’ll also want to use the shifter cable bracket that bolts to the transmission from your Eclipse as this is not a part between the two vehicle models. Past that, depending on the year of the transmission you get, you may have some issues with shifter cables. The gear selector shaft on the transmission is, like the 1990 DSM, different from later model years. So it would be very helpful for us to help you if you could provide the whole F5M22… codes from your transmission and any potential units you are looking at. From there, we should be able to decipher whether you will need shift cables also or not.

The gear ratios only matter for overall drivability, not for whether it physically works or not.

Definitely verify the whole transmission code on any transmission you buy. It looks like a F5M22 from a Galant should bolt up. Same starter plates, same ring gears.

Use the transmission mount from your Eclipse. You’ll also want to use the shifter cable bracket that bolts to the transmission from your Eclipse as this is not a part between the two vehicle models. Past that, depending on the year of the transmission you get, you may have some issues with shifter cables. The gear selector shaft on the transmission is, like the 1990 DSM, different from later model years. So it would be very helpful for us to help you if you could provide the whole F5M22… codes from your transmission and any potential units you are looking at. From there, we should be able to decipher whether you will need shift cables also or not.

The gear ratios only matter for overall drivability, not for whether it physically works or not.
Been a while and I haven't gotten across a transmission for my car yet. I've been asking around and unfortunately they couldn't tell me the exact model of the transmissions of their Galant (they couldn't find the model numbers or claim that there's no markers). Is the shifter cable my only concern? If I'm able to get a transmission with the shifter cable and the whole shifter assembly, would that give me less of a headache to install?

It would be on this pad, in the red circle.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks for the photo, Marty! @1990TSIAWDTALON

As possibilities for direct swap, I’m seeing F5M22-2-XQZH, F5M22-2-XPZH, or F5M22-1-RPKH. They should be directly compatible with your shift cables as well. If it is not one of those, you may need to source the cables for a later model year transmission. The Galant cables may work but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back