The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

spark plugs that create 1million watts (Pulstars, pulstar, pulse) [Merged] snake oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok....sorry to the moderators to keep having to post on this topic! I know there could be better questions answered elsewhere.
Since the company that my father used to work for made some of these assemblies for the pulsestar plugs, I can offer a little bit of an answer. If it helps you, take it at face value. I have no comment on the subject other than stating fact instead of opinion.
The PULSESTAR plugs are not a good option for our cars!
Let me repeat for those of you that missed it the first time.
THE PULSTAR PLUGS ARE NOT A GOOD OPTION FOR OUR CARS!
I got a "insider" message from an engineer that stated that the "capacitor" effect of the plugs was actually playing havoc with the electronics in some of the cars tested. That was enough for me to stay away from them.
Take it at face vaue. Never put them in my car to test them.
Gee whiz.....kind of disappointing to realize that moderators and wisemen might actually be correct!
Does this mean that it will affect your car?.......NO
Electronics are not my forte and I am not going to test my luck to see if it screws up my electronics.
Good Luck to you that are brave enough to try them.
Eric:talon:

So, I did a search on these and I could not come up with anything. A friend that is going to school for auto mech recommended these to me. I was going to order NGK's like always but I figured I would ask if anyone had used these yet, and if so, were they pleased with them?

Again, why deviate from something cheap AND has been proven to work?

EDIT: Here's a nice bit I found on another forum...

Originally posted from NGK Spark Plugs USA

Be cautious! In reality, most "racing" spark plugs are just colder heat ranges of the street versions of the spark plug. They don't provide any more voltage to the spark plug tip! Their internal construction is no different (in NGK's case, as all of our spark plugs must conform to the same level of quality controls) than most standard spark plugs.

There are some exceptions, though:

Extremely high compression cars or those running exotic fuels will have different spark plug requirements and hence NGK makes spark plugs that are well-suited for these requirements. They are classified as "specialized spark plugs for racing applications".

Some are built with precious metal alloy tips for greater durability and the ability to fire in denser or leaner air/fuel mixtures .

However, installing the same spark plugs Kenny Bernstein uses in his 300+ mph Top Fuel car (running Nitromethane at a 2:1 air/fuel ratio and over 20:1 dynamic compression) in your basically stock Honda Civic (running 15:1 a/f ratios with roughly 9.5:1 compression) will do nothing for you! In fact, since Kenny's plugs are fully 4 heat ranges colder, they'd foul out in your Honda in just a few minutes.

NGK as a company tries to stay clear of saying that a racing spark plug (or ANY spark plug) will give you large gains in horsepower. While certain spark plugs are better suited to certain applications (and we're happy to counsel you in the right direction) we try to tell people that are looking to "screw in" some cheap horsepower that, in most cases, spark plugs are not the answer.

To be blunt, when experienced tuners build race motors, they select their spark plugs for different reasons:

* to remove heat more efficiently,

* provide sufficient spark to completely light all the air/fuel mixture,

* to survive the added stresses placed upon a high performance engine's spark plugs,

* to achieve optimum piston-to-plug clearance.

Some of these "specialized racing plugs" are made with precious metal alloy center/ground electrodes or fine wire tips or retracted-nose insulators. Again, these features do not necessarily mean that the spark plug will allow the engine to make more power, but these features are what allow the spark plug to survive in these tortuous conditions. Most racers know screwing in a new set of spark plugs will not magically "unlock" hidden horsepower.

It's doubtful that the design of the spark plug will really net you any gain. Right now, the e3 Diamondfire spark plugs are the newest craze to hit all the car-minded media. Remember the Pulsar plugs? Did the new spark plug for DSMs change to them?

Stick with the classic design.

Again, why deviate from something cheap AND has been proven to work?

+1 for the price of those e3 you could buy several sets of NGKs. The diamond fire thing just looks like marketing hype, like splitfire, platinium and and all the others that dont work.

+1 for the price of those e3 you could buy several sets of NGKs. The diamond fire thing just looks like marketing hype, like splitfire, platinium and and all the others that dont work.

Platinum plugs have their place, just not on cars with forced induction or NOS where you have to be worried about pre-ignition.

For FI cars, especially where you are pushing the car to the limits, you should just stick with the basic NGKs. The copper electrode conducts heat away better, reducing the chance of the electrode getting hot enough to cause pre-ignition.

Every time one of these "which spark plug" threads comes up, I get side tracked and end up reading spark plug threads for nearly and hour, across all makes of car forums. This seems to be the general consensus that I've found.

Anybody ever hear about these they're supposed to give you more power and better fuel milage. The guys on powerblock tv dyno'ed them and saw an increase of 5hp I think. Just want to get some opinions on them thanks

Attachments

• auto-plug-with-box.jpg
    auto-plug-with-box.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 98
NGK's run the best in a DSM. Sometimes the cheap plugs out perform the expensive plugs. In are case cheap plugs are the best for are motors.

The design has been around for quite some time. The arc is only going to go to 1 "strap", so it really would not matter if there was 20 vs. 3 vs. 1. Plus more difficult to set the gap on multiple "strap" design.

If they did actually increase HP it would be due to the fact that the replaced plugs were on their way out in the first place.

I would just stick with the "tried-n-true" NGK coppers at a buck-fifty times 4.

my 0.02.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back