The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

e3 16g install questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinsnails

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2009
Northwood, New_Hampshire
A few quick questions that I am going to do on my e3 16g on my 2g GSX.

First do I need to replace the bolts used from the o2 housing bolts?

If I am going to put a new manifold on also should I replace the studs?

I have a 2g o2 housing, will the exhaust holes on that match the ones on the e3 16g?

The bolt holes from the manifold to turbo are drilled out (on the housing), can I just use through bolts and nuts on the manifold to tighten everything down?

Also if I was going to purchase bolts or nuts from a local hardware store, use all grade 8 hardware correct??

I already have a 14b on the car so all the water lines and such are not an issue.
Thanks

you should be fine.
you dont need new studs or bolts, but obviously itd be a plus.

your o2 housing should bolt up fine.
and yes you can use bolts and nuts, thats what i did.

A few quick questions that I am going to do on my e3 16g on my 2g GSX.

First do I need to replace the bolts used from the o2 housing bolts?
no, the ones that were on the 14b you have on there will work just fine. just be sure to use antiseize on the threads when you reinstall them.

If I am going to put a new manifold on also should I replace the studs?
i have never had a problem with my exhaust mani studs and ive had that manifold on and off WAY too many times to count, again, use anti seize on the threads doing the reinstall.

I have a 2g o2 housing, will the exhaust holes on that match the ones on the e3 16g?
your 2g o2 housing will bolt right up to the side of the 16g.

The bolt holes from the manifold to turbo are drilled out (on the housing), can I just use through bolts and nuts on the manifold to tighten everything down?
NO. you need to get them tapped to run the OEM manifold to turbo bolts.

Also if I was going to purchase bolts or nuts from a local hardware store, use all grade 8 hardware correct??
NO. you can't get away with running grade 8 home depot bolts here you absolutely must run OEM mitsu bolts.

I already have a 14b on the car so all the water lines and such are not an issue.
Thanks

:dsm:

Nope.

The outlet of the Evo III 16G is approximately 2.5", where the inlet of your 2G o2 housing is closer to 2". Plan on porting the crap out of your 2G o2 housing, or buying an Evo III o2 housing to make the most of this setup.

Do yourself a favor and install HeliCoils now while the turbo is off the car.

I've seen this a lot, and I honestly don't understand how some guys can be so half-assed that they'd drill the threads out of the turbo mounting holes and use nuts behind them. The flange isn't flat on the backside, so the nut will never sit flat against the housing, and it's virtually impossible to find a nut with the correct thread size that is small enough to get a wrench on when doing this.

Alright after looking into what Helicoils are they seem great, what size do I need.

10mm x 1.25.

The kit itself is a great investment, although it costs around $40 for the initial purchase. The HeliCoil part number for the kit you'll need is 5543-10. You'll also need a 13/32" drill bit to make the holes the proper size for the tap if you don't have one already.

Nope.
The outlet of the Evo III 16G is approximately 2.5", where the inlet of your 2G o2 housing is closer to 2". Plan on porting the crap out of your 2G o2 housing, or buying an Evo III o2 housing to make the most of this setup.
agreed. i guess i should have added that tid bit of info but it will bolt up, without porting it though your looking at some bad boost creep issues. your gonna want to get an evo III o2 housing inlet gasket too. the mitsu P/N for it is MD185805 or you can order it here... EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - OEM O2 Housing Gasket EVO III : Mitsubishi Eclipse 90-99
after you get the gasket you can put it on the stock 2g o2 housing and port it to the size of the gasket.

:dsm:

Hey guys thanks for all the help, all this stuff is a lot to handle at once and you guys make it easy. Just want to get this right the first time I have a Buschur ported o2 housing on the way should be perfect for this.

I would have just gone with the Megan Racing tubular o2 housing. But the install isn't as bad as it seems. I was "iffy" my first time and it wasn't all that hard.

Yah well I am not buying the Buschur new its only 80 shipped so not bad.

Hell, why not then as long as it isn't cracked. Have fun with the install and enjoy the learning experience :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back