The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Dyno'd my 200K 14B 450cc/min DD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destrux

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2002
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
I've had this car for almost 10 years now.... it's seen more abuse than the front of my favorite hammer. It's got 203K on it and has never been rebuilt. It's also a 9:1 compression stock 1G N/T 6 bolt engine, N/T cams and all. I have a ported 2g manifold/ported O2 with a ported 14B on it with 450's running at 55psi with a rewired 180LPH VR4 fuel pump, MAFT blow-thru, 350cc/min water/meth injection, Supra MKIV sidemount (a very beat one, it still has half it's fins though), 2.5" side exit exhaust, Keydiver stage 1 EEPROM. Tuned it with the MAFT, running 11.0:1 AFR. Base timing is retarded, set at 2deg BTDC. It's still not knocking, so I can proably add base timing and/or lean it out more. I can't add boost, the VR4 pump has a pressure relief valve that cuts fuel pressure off at 70psi. At 55psi base pressure I'm at 70psi under full boost (15psi). Need bigger injectors and fuel pump....

I just got a dyno so I figured I'd finally see how much power I could get out of this setup without spending more money on the car. I'm pretty much happy with where it's at. I don't have a ton of money to spend on it, and going any further is going to cost at least another grand... which I'd rather spend on a less rusty DSM.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Since I'm not knocking and my EGT's are ok I can probably lean it out more and lower the IDC a bit to prevent some of the high RPM roughness caused by the injectors running at 100%DC. It could really use a set of 660's or 750's and a walbro 255 pump... and something better than a MAFT to tune it with.

Wow that's awesome. 203k miles and still stronger than ever.

That's damn good number for a 14b at 15psi and 200k miles+!
I'm pretty surprised those n/t pistons are holding up

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm done with this car now (the rust and plethora of body dings and dents pushed me over the keep/sell line) and decided to part it out to fund my next project. It was a fun decade though. :thumb:

I'm curious to see what the NT pistons and other internals look like after all those years of boost.

btw, I later found out that the denso 180 pump I was using apparently doesn't have a 70psi pressure relief valve as I read on the 3S forums. I was able to run 75psi with no problem (with the pump, read on...). I was able to crank the fuel pressure up to 58psi (base) before I was at the calculated flow limit of the pump at redline and 17 psi of boost. Knock was in check, around 6 counts. I was able to set it back to stock base timing (5 deg BTDC), but didn't venture farther. It definitely felt faster, but I didn't get it back on the dyno. Before I finished street tuning the WOT in RPM mode in the MAFT, my fuel pressure regulator took a dump and stopped regulating the fuel pressure properly after it raised it under boost (I assume the stock regulator wasn't designed for 75psi of fuel pressure and the regulator was jamming, I'm using it with a bolt on OBX adjustable riser top to add fuel pressure). I bought a brand new NT 47psi regulator and bolted it on and retuned the car at that pressure (and only 14psi of boost) just to drive it till I arrived at the decision to part it out. The high RPM misfire I had might have been caused by the regulator starting to go bad, because it went away when I installed the new NT regulator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back