The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 2gNT Dying randomly while driving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
I've made a post about this before and it seemed to have went away but now randomly has arose again...

Here is what it is doing, the car starts up just fine, good afr etc. Ill drive maybe 2 miles down the road casually driving not getting on it at all, and randomly the car will just loose power. Like I turned the key back. I even tried to put it in gear and see if it will start back up rolling and nope... I turn off the road and simply unplug the battery and bam starts right back up like nothing was wrong. I go to drive it again and bam... turns off again..

I can not figure this out. I changed my ASD. CAS. Crank sensor. Fuel filter. Battery. Everything that someone has mentioned. And it ran good for about a month and now it's acting up again.

I have no CEL at all after it shutting down. I had it idling for a good 20 mins in my drive way and randomly shut off with out even me driving it. Car didn't even get above 140° it was pretty cold last night so I know it isn't a temperature problem... I went out there unplugged the battery for 5 mins and bam fired back up like it never even shut down...

Can someone please point me in the direction of this issue ? Afr sits at 14.8 idle. Idles at 970 rpms some times 1000 . But don't jump much at all. What ever the issue is, is temporarily fixed after the whole car being restarted from unplugging the battery... I'm on no tune right now so its not a tune issue I been running no tune on low boost for a good minute now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the coil pack? Sounds like an ignition related problem.
Usually I'd say this a dead giveaway for a crank sensor going bad, but if your replacement is recent, of decent quality and not already oil fowled (and the wiring isn't oil fowled/shorting) then I'd start looking at the other components related to the ignition system.

First of all, is it losing spark or fuel? you need to find out whats missing next time it shuts down and wont start.

I think its honestly a spark issue... imma order a new crank and coil pack. Wires and plugs are new. So imma go with that route..

Check the ground on the driver side fender area of the engine bay. I've seen 3 or 4 420a cars that work fine and then randomly die due to this ground being bad and it acts as if the key has been turned off.

Instead of throwing parts at it you really should try and diagnose the issue. Cleaning up a ground is free but throwing parts at it is expensive and if your tossing autoparts store brand parts in it your gonna have a lot of issues down the road.

Does it crank over when you have this issue?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back