The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder dye convertible top

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinking about going black on my convertible top. I bought this tan one brand new and installed myself, but now looking at it i think id rather it be black. Is there a good way to go about this without completely changing the top again? I have searched and watched videos about dying them, but nothing really model or material specific.

I have been an auto upholsterer for over 45 years and never in a million years would I want to dye a top.. I have used color back .. this restores a faded black top back to it`s original luster .. Your just asking for trouble trying to dye a tan top to black . A top that has already been exposed to the elements will probably turn out blotchy ..When it`s rains it will most likely bleed the dye. I have never seen a dye that penetrates the material permanently .. there will always be bleed ..Don`t do it...
You do not say you are an upholster but if this is your first top install I am very impressed with your outcome. I notice in the pics .. just above your side window .. there looks to be something white or this just a sun reflection off the rubber ? .
My suggestion would be to find someone who needs a new Tan Top and carefully remove yours and install it on their car . Charge them the cost of your new black top and maybe a bit for installing .. Make sure they are aware this is what your doing...They can see your tan top and how well it looks...
OR.... you could remove the top frame and all and switch with some one .. That would take a bit more work...
Last but not least just get yourself a new black top and install....
P.S I know from experience that dyeing canvas adds weight to the fabric and it`s more likely to crack with the motion of a convertible top ..
Hope this helps you make the right decision ...

no this top in the pics is the old one, unfortunately I never uploaded new pics. that white spot was where the old tops seams were tearing and pulling away. I am in no way an upholster LOL just like trying to do all the work that i can on my own, plus the shop in town quoted me $1600 to do it :oops:

I have been an auto upholsterer for over 45 years and never in a million years would I want to dye a top.. I have used color back .. this restores a faded black top back to it`s original luster .. Your just asking for trouble trying to dye a tan top to black . A top that has already been exposed to the elements will probably turn out blotchy ..When it`s rains it will most likely bleed the dye. I have never seen a dye that penetrates the material permanently .. there will always be bleed ..Don`t do it...
You do not say you are an upholster but if this is your first top install I am very impressed with your outcome. I notice in the pics .. just above your side window .. there looks to be something white or this just a sun reflection off the rubber ? .
My suggestion would be to find someone who needs a new Tan Top and carefully remove yours and install it on their car . Charge them the cost of your new black top and maybe a bit for installing .. Make sure they are aware this is what your doing...They can see your tan top and how well it looks...
OR.... you could remove the top frame and all and switch with some one .. That would take a bit more work...
Last but not least just get yourself a new black top and install....
P.S I know from experience that dyeing canvas adds weight to the fabric and it`s more likely to crack with the motion of a convertible top ..
Hope this helps you make the right decision ...
Can you link what you're referring to as "color back" that is safe for our fabric tops?

Here's some random pics after top was installed

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey dude.. That is pretty awesome work for a first timer.. I`m Canadian eh .. so my top cost me a thousand bucks just for the top with tinted heated glass .. To have a top done over here would coast about 2500 / 3500 hundred installed.. You could make some extra cash installing tops on a week end... Your top looks pretty dame good to me .. Congrates Job well done

Hey dude.. That is pretty awesome work for a first timer.. I`m Canadian eh .. so my top cost me a thousand bucks just for the top with tinted heated glass .. To have a top done over here would coast about 2500 / 3500 hundred installed.. You could make some extra cash installing tops on a week end... Your top looks pretty dame good to me .. Congrates Job well done
LOL thanks man i was pretty impressed myself also LOL and wasn't really all that hard. The top only cost me $399 USD which i didn't mind paying, but that 1600 to install? yeah ill try it myself first LOL. With your advice i'm gonna leave it tan, and just color coordinate around that kinda. thanks for the info!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back