The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dumbest thing you did in your car (any car) [Merged 1-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so dumbest thing I did.... Here it goes

So my g/f at that time was in a diff state then i lived in so when i got down there both her and I kinda missed each other so we took the good ole talon up this long winding hill where at the top there was a radar station.... Outlooking the entire country side of western west virginia, in the good ole turbo dsm going at it. so we barely finish up and a car comes up this dirt road, my g/f (still getting dressed) is like ohh crap, so i start driving down the hill to get back onto actual roads where i can just gun it and get away from whoever was going to report us (why we were worried i dont know stupidity!) so ends up the car (which ended up being a truck) catches up anyway, keep in mind mountanous west virginia and im fwd. SO we get into town and im going a little fast than normal, and i still have my shirt off, i manage to catch the attention of a local cop... YAY so he follows me into town, to loose him i pull into a gas station to get a candy bar and soda. (now kep in mind small town, out of state tag, and 1 am in the morning) so the cop passes on by, and actually turns around and waits for me.... EEEK so i get back into my car and slowly drive to my gfs house (keep also in mind here.... also no one judge me :p but my g/f is/was seventeen and i was 22) so we get to her house and the cop is following me... I pull up to the front of the house and the cop throws his lights on (also keep in mind the tied up wrapped up used condom that i was holding to throw away) SO the cop tells me i ran a stop sign and asks for my license and reg. well i have my license, but the car was just bought didnt have my reg... "son can u and the girl step out of the vehicle." Upon stepping out of the vehicle my gf immediately recognizes the cop, its her friend from schools dad... EEEEK!!!! so he asks if i had been drinking no i never drink and drive a car that will waste ur cruiser im tempted to say. So he asks to search the car and that i empty my pockets contents onto the pretty spoiler on the back(through all of this my g/f is wearing a plaid button up shirt loosely over her, cuz her shirt is somewhere in the back where i threw it) then the officer looks inside the tissue... and sees the used condom and gives my gf a look. SO after an hour of bs he sasy i didnt really pull u over for a stop sign there supposedly has been a maryland plates car in the area dealing drugs but i seached ur car and im satisfied ur not it, You both have a nice evening... That was the dumbest/funniest/scariest moment in my life.

Matt

Yeah im about that height too, for those of you who try, let me tell u u need to be a fricken cortionist to have sex in those cars!!!!!!!! it was interesting when we ran into her friends dad the following weekend :-s LOL

Matt

the dumbest thing ive done was buying it in the first place. the dumberer thing ive done was buying another one after I sold the first :(

Hrm Lets see the list it probably long , First thing was driving it @ 18psi stock all except a rewired fuel pump small 16g and a 2g FPR racing nitrused mootangs and beating most of them. Crusing around with the E-brake on, Using the E-manage to add 20 deg of timing without using a logger device OMG OMG OMG then Melting the #1 & 2 pistons. then putttin a tubular manifold without ceramic or header rap on it, and catching the old oil soaked fiberglass insulation on the hood on FIRE! OMG and buring up all the rubber things under the hood,(thank god for donner cars) :thumb: ah yes , putting cheap grade bolts to hold on the tranny to the motor, *snap* and the Transfer case gets a hole worn into it OMG but its all good now.

AW4G63 said:
1. Jumped from the car while going 55mph because I was being stung by a bee.
OMG, not this again!! I can't believe some of you never heard about this. It spread across the internet like wildfire and was on the news and stuff. :laugh: Oh wait... no... that was the moth.

kevingst said:
OMG, not this again!! I can't believe some of you never heard about this. It spread across the internet like wildfire and was on the news and stuff. :laugh: Oh wait... no... that was the moth.

That was posted by some local in the hills of Lake County. It was a 240sx and it was all oveer the news.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141316

When I jumped out of my car it was snowing so it didn't hurt that bad. I was driving and there was a dormat bee's nest in my dsm hatch and once it got up to temperature the bee's woke up and started buzzing around so I was left with no choice. I'm alergic to stings so I would die if stung. I had no time to take that chance.

worst dsm story ever 1st buying it and not getting the gsx next to it because I didn't like the cd player (dumb) and getting a n/t talon auto... anyways 1st day test drove it got into a wreck 5 mins after I signed the papers stupid f150 can't back up right anyways month later water pump goes out 40 miles away from my house so I say fawk it drive it anyways my gauge was all the way in the red for the whole 40 when I pull up to my drive way it looks like I'm doing a burn out man I wish i had a picture of it it was awesome blew motor water pump just blew all the way out the motor 2400 and 3 months later finally get it back water pump went out again another 300 yeah I know now I got screwed big time on all of it then spending another about 1g alone on my ever racking up front bumpers cause I lowered my car 2inches and then dumping another like 4k in to the whole thing and it's still slow but I can beat a gst anyday I shoulda bought a gsx but I'm gonna get one hopefully next week 2g gsx. unleashing the beast.

I would say the dumbest thing I did was jumping the gun and buying a 1998 Eagle Talon ESi for $16 000 Cnd! SCREWED! Gave the POS back and now I have a TSi :D LOL!

I just remembered another one. when I was about 15 I THOUGHT I knew everything about cars. at that time ( I'm 38 now. . .) there was a real trend that all the hot cars ( almost only V8s then ) had these yellow ACCEL spark plug wires. I thought it looked sooo cool in the magazines. so I took all the plug wires out of my moms Olds Cutlass and spray painted them yellow. then I just put them back in all neatly, longest to shortest, etc, but with no regard to where they plugged into the distributor cap. I didn't realize firing order was important. man was I panicking when for about 2 hours I couldn't get it started.
my older neighbor came and helped me get it right. then as he was leaving he was like "hey stupid, stick to bicycles. . . "

LOL

I thought it might be fun to re-visit this topic. Actually that's just an excuse for my attempt at validating my automotive handiness and healing my bruised ego by convincing myself that I'm not the only occasional moron when working on my car:D . I'm considering this a form of therapy. Maybe I can regain enough confidence to once again attempt such highly skilled tasks as changing my oil or replacing a vacuum hose!LOL
Moderators, if this belongs somewhere else or has already been overdone I apologize.
So here it goes...

There was the time I removed my UICP to do some work. Stuffed rag into TB. Replaced pipes, tried to drive and couldn't immediately figure out why car was barely running and throttle felt so stiff. My friend laughed his ass off watching me pull that rag out of my TB. Luckily nothing got sucked past the throttle plate.

More recently pulled dipstick tube out of block to do work around manifold/turbo area. Finished work, forgot about dipstick. Started car and enjoyed the pretty oil fountain. Of course as Mr. Murphy would have it this happened right after cleaning up engine bay.

Again sorry if a similar thread already exists but I didn't finde one.

Boy, it feels good to exorcise one's demons:) . Anyone else?

Its fun making an idiot out of ourselves sometimes isnt it. I havent done the rag in the throttle body but I am guilty of forgetting to put the dipstick back in. ROFL

My definite worst one would have to be:
I was ordered to remove and reinstall a radiator on a dodge truck with an automatic trans at my vocational school. Well I get everything all good and dandy, and realize I forgot to re-install the shroud.... Had to rip everything back out again because the shroud has to go first followed by the rad. Dammit LOL.
Next best:
Working on a DSM for a buddy, and we get everything all good, forgot to hook back up the intake, didn't idle so well. LOL.....

Wow, that's not a good day man. I owned a mustang gt, and doing the plugs in it without any good tools was bad enough LOL. Pulled a motor out of an OMNI, and we had to go through hell to get it out. Ive done quite a bit of stupid before I started really wrenching a ton LOL.

mine probably has to be the worst my very first turbo car was a 92 tsi awd. me not knowing anything wanted to turn the boost down who knew id end up turning it up instead of down. it was all good fun till i pretty much melted piston. R.I.P little fella.

Once working on my brother's Stealth TT messing with the shift cables and such, I ran it without it's MAF plugged in, made it 3/4 of the way around the block test drive until it started running like complete and total shit. Made it back to my street and turned the car off letting it roll down the rest of the way. Looked over the area and see the plug just sitting there....
Then on my own car - Not tightening the crank pulley bolt, that made me feel real stupid.

We are only human

While routing my boost gauge line I dropped half of a broken zip-tie into the open head and (of course) right into the oil return passage and down into the block. It wasn't fun finding out what you have to do to pull the oil pan on an AWD. Learned how to do it and also found the remains of the thrust bearing from the T25 I was replacing (scared the crap out of me until I found a pic of a T25 bearing - all pieces put together looked just like the picture). Oh, and I found the zip tie. :thumb:

my friend ordered a FMIC from ebay for his Evo. When he unpackaged it he only noticed one end cap on the intercooler... didn't think about where the other could be. Installed the FMIC and a few days later he was exiting the express way, let off the gas but the car would not slow down. Ended up findng the other end cap lodged between the intake mani and the TB plate...

There was the time I removed my UICP to do some work. Stuffed rag into TB. Replaced pipes, tried to drive and couldn't immediately figure out why car was barely running and throttle felt so stiff. My friend laughed his ass off watching me pull that rag out of my TB. Luckily nothing got sucked past the throttle plate.

I would have to second that . . . although mine was a paper towel and I was working on the car late at night / early in the morning half asleep :shhh:

I was doing my alternator rewire and forgot to take off the battery ground before touching the positive terminal of my battery with a metal wrench and accidently touching the cruise control box. I had a big spark that went straight up about 4 feet that scared the crap out of me. Then I was like... Duh!

ever install 1g valves in a 2g head? not good i was working on two at the same time my 1g cylinder head and a friends 2g cylinder head and grabbed the vales for the 1g and put them in the 2g. ( to much cold beer )well 1g vales are longer the 2g and well the motor had 0 compression on #4 cylinder and well i had to do both all over again lucky for me they didn't hit that was a long night

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back