The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dumb Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypergenesis

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2010
Tracy, California
I Dont know I am a little bit stumped with this but if you have say ECMLINK v3 Why would you still need a MBC? Can't you change all your settings for the turbo through ecmlink? If so whats the point in using the MBC does it free up air in the vacuum lines or what?

Sorry if this is a really absurd question I have asked other platforms with turbos and they say No. But every dsm I see on this site have a MBC with ECMLINK

Thanks
Armin

You would need an electronic boost solenoid to make it work. The MBC works by creating a vacuum leak with the turbo causing it to overboost to a set level.

You would need an electronic boost solenoid to make it work. The MBC works by creating a vacuum leak with the turbo causing it to overboost to a set level.

What...? The MBC works by preventing the wastegate from opening until a set amount of pressure is made. There is no vacuum leak with the turbo and surely nothing about overboosting.. Simply a spring in an MBC that opens at a predesignated pressure (hence why you can turn the boost up and down) which then allows the wastegate to relieve pressure to prevent 'overboosting'.

V3 has and option to use an electric solenoid that you can use as a boost controller, it also gives you the option to set boost per rpm to help smooth out you curve to make sure of no spiking and such, I'm still waiting for them to make a dual stage solenoid that can be programmed to switch with their switchable tune feature, so you could run a low boost and high boost tune and change it all with the flick of a switch on the fly. many newer cars you can adjust boost with the Ecu in stock form, like my jetta, it has a flashed Ecu and I can adjust boost without a mbc because there is a stock one already integrated into the car..... dsms don't have this

What...? The MBC works by preventing the wastegate from opening until a set amount of pressure is made. There is no vacuum leak with the turbo and surely nothing about overboosting.. Simply a spring in an MBC that opens at a predesignated pressure (hence why you can turn the boost up and down) which then allows the wastegate to relieve pressure to prevent 'overboosting'.

A wastegate is designed to open at a set boost level. A manual boost controller is essentially a small leak in that line going to the wastegate. The bigger the leak it tricks the wastegate into thinking that it doesn't see the desired pressure yet allowing it to stay closed longer allowing the turbo to build more boost before the waste gate opens. I think that is what he was trying to say about a leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back