The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Dude goes over Niagra Falls!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliminat0r

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2003
Clinton Township, Michigan
this is the best story ive read in a while:

NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario - A man who went over Niagara Falls with only the clothes on his back and survived will be charged with illegally performing a stunt, Niagara Parks Police said Tuesday

Kirk Jones, 40, of Canton, Mich., is the first person known to have gone over Niagara Falls without safety devices and lived. He could be fined $10,000.

Brian Merrett, chairman of Niagara Parks Commission, called the stunt "stupid."

"Our people went down in the gorge and got him," Merrett said. "That's why we don't condone this. It puts all of our people: the fire department, the paramedics everyone at risk to do the rescues. That's why were are so adamant about stunting."

Stunned tourists described seeing Jones float by on his back Monday in the swift Niagara River, go headfirst over the churning 180-foot waterfall and then pull himself out of the water onto the rocks below.

"He just looked calm. He just was gliding by so fast. I was in shock really that I saw a person go by," Brenda McMullen told WIVB-TV in Buffalo.

Jones was not seriously injured and remained hospitalized in Niagara Falls in stable condition.

Police said they were ruling out the possibility it was a suicide attempt.

"We're investigating it as an intentional act," Niagara Parks Police Inspector Paul Fortier said.

He said psychological tests were being conducted at the hospital.

Fortier said police have a videotape of the act that they believe was made by someone who accompanied Jones. That person has not been charged.

Water rushes over the falls at a rate of 150,000 gallons per second.

Only one other person is known to have survived a plunge over the Canadian Horseshoe Falls without a barrel or other contraption — a 7-year-old boy who was wearing a life preserver when he was thrown into the water in a 1960 boating accident.

No one has ever survived a trip — with or without safety devices — over the narrower and rockier American falls.

Since 1901, 15 daredevils have taken the plunge in barrels or other devices, including a kayak and a personal watercraft. Ten survived, said Niagara Falls historian Paul Gromosiak, who has written books on the subject.

Suicides are not uncommon at Niagara Falls, although police are reluctant to give numbers.

Lynda Satelmajer, of Brampton, Ontario, said she and her family watched the man as he entered the river and then went over the falls.

"He seemed a bit edgy, kind of jumping around," she said. "He walked over to where we were standing and he jumped and slid down on his backside and went over the brink.

"It was really freaky, actually. He was smiling."

man this dude is awesome LOL i dont get why its freaky that he smiled though come on he was ther first man to ever go over niagra fals like that and live. i would have had a big ass smile on my face if i did it!!

Is that recent? We might end up seeing this guy on the morning talk shows and such, good for him.

Happened today. What an idiot. Why is it natural selection never kicks in at the right time?

Fine!!

Yea it happened at about 2:00 p.m yesterday, its soon to be on all the news channels, and i guarantee he is gonna be famous for it now. I can't wait untill he's on one of them ghey morning talk shows saying it was a bet. because if he did that just for fun he's Crazy. i wonder how much money he got for that? Hope its more than 10grand. The one thing i Don't, get is why they giving him a fine. It's probably just t discourage other people from trying it. Even though a 180 foot drop is discouraging enough for me. :thumb:

I wonder how cold the water was. He probably didn't brace himself because he was so numb, which may be why he went through uninjured.

What a dumbass.

Stupid stunt none the less, but $10,000 seems a bit steep :rolleyes:

People like this ARE crazy. Whether it was a dare or a stut, there are other ways to get that adrenaline rush that dont involve going over a waterfall. I wonder if this guy did the reasearch before hand???!!!!:confused:

LOL! just to see what the dude's face looked like as he went over with that freakin smile. what an idiot yet classic. :laugh: :laugh: :thumb:

own pics?

I think the 10K is because people have to go actually pull the dumbass out of the water or off the rocks. It's not exactly a risk-free thing to do.

It's sort of like the fire department charging businesses for false alarms (yes they do this). In Michigan, on the Detroit river, there's allways some assmunch who tries to go ice fishing a little too late in the season and ends up getting caught on an ice flo with no way back to shore. They fine them pretty heavily, too, since they have to haul out a lot of special equipment to get to ya...it only makes sense.

was this on the american side?

because i know a 7 year old kid fel over the canadian side in a bathing suit and lived.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back