The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dual oil filters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowavenger96

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2003
Flat Rock, Michigan
I am going to use a 91 oil filter houseing whit my 6 bolt , well here is the ? Would useing a 2nd oil filter remotelt mounted before the oil cooler hurt anything . Now it my drop oil preshure but how much? Is this really worth the extra hastle?

Im not sure how much your pressure would go down if they are in series, but if you put them both in parrelel you would gain pressure. I wouldn't think using 2 would hurt anything.

Lo 96 - If I understand you correctly I think the SECOND Oil Filter is a terrible idea. You can just cut the threads off the Oil Filter bolt of the 91 Housing & Loctite it into the Housing & delete that dumbass water cooler!

If you really are gonna use a 91 Housing with an Air to Oil Cooler instead of the stock Water Cooler (damn good idea) - AND if it's like my 91 Housing - The "taps" for the Air to Oil Filter are already in "paralell flow" to the Oil Filter - That is - Some of the oil goes to the Oil Filter - Some to the Air to Oil Cooler. The 91 Oil Filter Housing lacks the Low Oil Temp Cooler Shut Off Valve that the preferred 90 Housing has.

Those plugs are loctited into the 91 Housing - you need to pull it off & apply just a minute of propane torch heat & the Allen Plugs will pop out - DON"T do it on the car - you'll regret it & probably round out the Allen plugs - then you are drilling a hard ass plug... etc, etc...

Here's a good recent thread about the 90 Housing which is the hot set-up:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87160

Now a remote filter would be a idea. I was going to do that awhile back and mount it on the drivers side where my old foglight was (right by the current fog light in my sig pic). Easier access, cleaner engine bay, and possibly cooler oil temps. Just dont let a rock destroy it LOL.

exactly what Defiant said...you just don't need it...the only thing, in my opinion that makes it better is that now you will have more oil capacity...which is a plus...but you really don't need it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back