The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dual intercoolers [Merged 11-8, again] twin double two Duel stage Intercooler ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airkyd

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2002
Richmond Hill, Queens_NY
Is it possible to have 2 intercoolers in your car, one that is mounted in the front, and another mounted behind the passenger side wheel and have them connected? This is on a 92 talon turbo.

That's allright. :thumb:

I am interested though, which setup would yield better results, the Parallel way or the Series way.

If you think about it, the first intercooler may heatsoak as stated before :rolleyes: but the 2nd definately wouldn't. What is the diff. BESIDES flow with one intercooler heating up more than the other, and the one side of a front mount heating up but the other not.....

Just wondering. :D

Ok pressure drop with a series is going to be 2x as much. With them in Parallel would actually almost cut the pressure drop in half. Same amount of air being able to go to both IC's would almost half it. And they wouldn't heatsock as quick cause they have less air to cool than if it was only one.

In series the first would heat soak and then the second would start to heat soak shortly their after as the air going into it is going to be hot. For autoX the idea is very good and going parallel would yeild the bests results as you are in the turbo a lot. Then putting a IC sprayer on both IC's that came one when the core temp reached say 90-100 degrees would definitly help with heatsoak. If you can fab your own piping this route would definitly be cheaper than going FMIC plus your radiator will love you for it.

:)

Well put, looks like the way I said IS NOT the better way... :p Just SIMPLER Sorry, JessesTalon. :) On most the cars I have seen, that is the way it has been done because of space contraints.

k since stock smic's can be bought for really cheap! would it work (assuming i could find a good place to put it) to pipe 2 stock intercoolers together? b4 the intake manifold?

DSMjrv said:
k since stock smic's can be bought for really cheap! would it work (assuming i could find a good place to put it) to pipe 2 stock intercoolers together? b4 the intake manifold?

Were you thinking 2into1 or in series?

GTM

what do you guys htink would cool better starion modded with 2.5 tanks or 3 stock dsm's welded toether..... who has used both

no offense... but that idea gets nothing more then a :notgood: . don't cheap out on stuff, welding 3 IC's together is stupid. save your money and buy a core and make pipes for it.

if you want an answer... well i can't even give you an answer because i wouldn't do either.

im with post #2. but because both of us have not answerd the question i will say the 3 DSM I/C's will work better.

Good luck :rolleyes:

I've seen two stock smic's welded together. Seemed to work pretty good considering the price. Although I'm sure the flow was horrible.

i was just wondering if anyone has had 3 stock sidemount intercoolers welded together to make 1 front mount and if so cost and performance .

cost would be lower I'm sure, but i can't imaging that working well.. inlet/outlet design is important, and having the three stock intercoolers together i think would work horribly.

Im no expert on intercoolers at all, but wouldnt the pressure drop just make its stupid to even try?

I have a 97 GST and I was wondering if I could install another sidemount intercooler off of another Eclipse onto the driver's side. I have an extra that I got off of a wrecked Eclipse at the local junkyard. I was just curious if anyone has tried this and if so does it improve performance.

I'd like to upgrade my intercooler for occasional road course use (300-330HP), I'm told a front mount isn't such a good idea 'cause it blocks quite a bit of the radiator.
Dejon makes two side side mount options: a modified stock IC ($135) and thier custom big side mount ($450).
Also, I'm very iterested in getting a MK4 Supra SMIC...if I can.

My questions:
1)The Supra unit being my favorite choice, where do I get one? I need some good leads...
2) Is there any benefit to getting the Dejon reworked stock SMIC? I'd like to have some saftey margin.

Your best bet would be the Supra SMIC, although some guys have fitment issues with them.

Around here, Supra SMIC's have been going for about $50. I had one, but the fitment issues made me decide to sell it instead of using it. I use my DSM for track and rally, so a FMIC is not a good option, and the Supra SMIC just wouldn't work. I'm not about to give up any crash structure and just mounting it lower is also not acceptable.

I've had good luck with the stock SMIC handling more power than one would expect at the road course. It's handling about 400 peak crank HP, but I have a high compression motor so am running relatively low boost on an old TRE 16g (so, the turbo is not being pushed all the way to the limit, temps should be a bit cooler coming out of it. Engine is a bit of a dyno queen too, with the power not really coming on hard until 5500)... Supposedly, the 1g SMIC is even better than my 2g SMIC, but that's just hearsay. YMMV...

1LE said:
Around here, Supra SMIC's have been going for about $50. I had one, but the fitment issues made me decide to sell it instead of using it. I use my DSM for track and rally, so a FMIC is not a good option, and the Supra SMIC just wouldn't work. I'm not about to give up any crash structure and just mounting it lower is also not acceptable.

I've had good luck with the stock SMIC handling more power than one would expect at the road course. It's handling about 400 peak crank HP, but I have a high compression motor so am running relatively low boost on an old TRE 16g (so, the turbo is not being pushed all the way to the limit, temps should be a bit cooler coming out of it. Engine is a bit of a dyno queen too, with the power not really coming on hard until 5500)... Supposedly, the 1g SMIC is even better than my 2g SMIC, but that's just hearsay. YMMV...

How good of shape are the Supra SMICs in that you've been seeing sell for $50? That's a pretty good price for a Supra SMIC.

Have you considered using water injection since you don't want a FMIC and didn't use the Supra SMIC? I've been having great results with my water injection and stock SMIC running 20psi, but I still am going to get a Supra SMIC or something similar pretty soon.

another thread where people say they have problems with the supra side mount LOL! Yes it requires some modification put it is seriously not that hard to do.

Depending where you get an FMIC from, you can get one almost as cheap as an upgraded side mount. I have a johnny racecar fmic, its not huge and doesnt cover the entire radiator. Never had any over heating problems and its nots that expensive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back