The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DSMs not popular throughout tuning culture.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think a very unique car with mods that have never been seen before on a DSM (like the compound turbo mr Volk is running) should be seen and get some recognition.

Personally though, I don't care about being popular, and I'd rather not be if given the choice. There's nothing like being the underdog that always takes your lunch money.

Magazine articles? Is that what this is all about? DSMs being popular? You're upset because they don't get enough attention? I understand that magazines are the heartbeat of the "tuner culture" and that may make you feel slighted, but what do you really have to prove to "the scene"? You own a car that is quicker and handles better than 80% of the rest of the stuff on the road and has the potential to someday be over 99%.

Journalists and writers want to sell their print and sell their advertising space. This means staying on the bleeding edge of the newest fad. The DSM platform to most of them is soooo old news that it takes something truly incredible to turn their eye to a DSM anymore, and even then they will argue with themselves over whether it's what the majority of their readers want to see. -Their readership being primarily comprised of the nutswinging JDM fanatics who only care about looking cool, being popular and portraying a certain identity. Most of them couldn't care less about performance or technical innovation -unless it will do something to make them look even cooler.

Don't get me wrong, I read the mags too. Some are better than others, but I remember to look at all the articles with a jaded eye anymore because I can see the underlying ignorance in most of them. No matter what mag they work for, a writer is first and foremost a writer and often their technical knowledge is low enough that they are forced to ask someone else (like AMS's contributions to Modified) to handle the actual technical articles. The parts reviews are an especially funny joke. Ever notice that the products tested are always the same ones advertised extensively throughout the mag? If so, then also take a look at the feature articles and see how many of those same parts are installed on the cars featured.

I'm just happy when I find ideas in a magazine. Maybe a part with possible relevance to my car, or even something I could modify or adapt to work on my ride.

Do you want to get your car in a magazine? If so, then go out and spend all your money on the parts advertised in the magazine you want to get into, even if it's silly or makes no improvement to mechanical function. Then, make sure the body is perfect, it's painted a nice bright color for photo purposes, has an assload of carbon fiber pieces and make sure it has the most expensive set of forged racing wheels you can find. Then hire a professional photographer.

DSMs aren't popular because they are so cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap to build, and their owners have a reputation of innovation and ingenuity. When a problem arises, a real DSMer engineers a solution instead of buying more uber expensive parts from some Japanese company that spends big money on magazine advertising worldwide. The owners have a reputation of finding low cost effectiveness, and as a group don't contribute a large amount of money to the higher profit section of the market that has become spo-com tuning. DSM owners as an average have very low budgets and very rarely does anyone ever actually complete an extreme DSM build.

The DSM owners who had the big budgets have all moved on towards the newer Evo community in order to have more potential, more OEM parts availability, more aftermarket tuning support, less immediate maintenance, less intensive pre-modding repairs, less rust damage and less ricer hacking reversal. Or else they've moved to another platform with lots of magazine coverage so they can feel like they're more popular and have the heartbeat of "the scene" rapidly stroking their pitifully shriveled self esteem phallus. DSMs will quickly weed out the weak willed or unconfident. It takes a true enthusiast to build a truly great DSM.

If you want to see a DSM in a magazine, build one the magazines can't overlook. Use expensive parts, make obscene power, get big-name sponsors and do something other than drag race it. I think you already understand that aspect though, based on what you wrote about trying to get Mr. Brilliant's car in a magazine feature.

Sorry for writing a small novel here...

Well said!! And being a decade old the DSM's still are withstanding the test of time and no doubt will evolve into one of the future collectibles. Even with the abuse brought about by the fast and furious movies on these cars, more and more are being rescued including the 1g's. It is true being a DSM owner you have a love/hate relationship with them. Back when they were first released they were given Musclecar status and even compared to a 70 Hemi Cuda in a performance sense( I still have the article that was written ). Don't misunderstand me I do not ever see a DSM getting the 6 digit figures a Hemi Cuda used to, but the GST GSX & TSi's are holding their own!

Before 2005, I hardly knew anything about DSM's! My son got a subscription to the late "Sport Compact Magazine" and the first issue we recieved had a red 1992 TSI AWD in the cover. The article was about 10 cars that are the best bang for the buck and I was really impressed by the Talon. Shortly after, I stumbled through the one I have now. Even thought it has now 220k km, it has been a very reliable car and never let me down since I bought it in the spring of 2006. Even with all the mods I am planning, It will still cost me a farction if compared to buying a more recent car that does not get even close in performance (specially in the winter). The best part of owning a DSM, it keeps my wife from complaining about my hobby. That is PRICELESS!

I would just love to see more aftermarket support from bigger companies that can really R n D for us and put out some wide body kits, etc.
Typical ricer.

Typical thread? It was made to get opinion on why NO ONE builds awesome DSMs, no one uses them to break records. Plain and simple. FYI my car is maintained, and only has 60XXX miles on it, that means it was barely driven since 1999. Most honda and toyota cars run amazing after 15 years and just oil changes! These cars were engineered poorly, made with taiwan cheapo parts, and suffer from crankwalk. Just saying, no need to make assumptions when you do not know what I have done and the money I have spent to get so many problems fixed.

Did you know that there are less than 2000 cases of REAL crankwalk, did you know that there were 1,100,000 2g dsms produced? Do we suffer from it? Can you tell me what happens to a supra when you put a heavy PP on it? Did you know there is a TSB for the thrust bearing failing on SRT-4's.

Holy thread revival...

its funny how when you get into higher end cars, the 03/04 Cobra and GT500 guys, C5 and C6 vette modders, LS1 guys, etc. how they all know and respect well modded DSM's and/or have come from a DSM background.

So true. I've browsed around the vette and stang forums from time to time, and occasionally come across posts where guys are saying stuff like "you should be pretty fast with that setup, as long as you aren't up against a DSM". LOL

Back in the 80's, I put twice as much $$$ into my '77 Camaro as I have my current Talon rebuild, just to end up going 2 seconds slower than I already can with that <<<. I like being out of the spotlight now. Let's keep it that way. ;)

Typical ricer.

Did you know that there are less than 2000 cases of REAL crankwalk, did you know that there were 1,100,000 2g dsms produced? Do we suffer from it? Can you tell me what happens to a supra when you put a heavy PP on it? Did you know there is a TSB for the thrust bearing failing on SRT-4's.

Only a small fraction of the 1,100,000 figure were 4g63 Turbo cars!

I dunno what you guys are talking about....I'm pretty sure SUPER STREET had a built talon tsi awd a few years back when I was in highschool and Modified mag featured a fully built 2g in 08 cause I picked up the magazine when I was on my honeymoon. There was also a 93 GSX featured in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. There was also a 99 spyder featured in April of 2009. August of 2004 there was a 95 eclipse too. I also just spotted our own time attack 2g in two issues this past month...

Modified mag in 2008
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ultimate Street Car Challenge

April 09 Spyder

Aug 2004

Our cars are gettin older man. Magazines tend to cover the newest and hottest trends that come out. That's why we don't see too many dsms in magazines nowadays.

I think a very unique car with mods that have never been seen before on a DSM (like the compound turbo mr Volk is running) should be seen and get some recognition.

Personally though, I don't care about being popular, and I'd rather not be if given the choice. There's nothing like being the underdog that always takes your lunch money.

I also have to say, this exact reason is one of the many reasons I got into dsms. Everytime I go to the local meets you overhear someone saying,

"that's the guy with the talon"
"oh yeah? whats he got?"
"man, I dunno, you can never tell with those guys"

LOL. I LOVE that rep! Anybody who knows anything about dsms knows that we may be broke as shit but our cars are built to hell and that's why we stay in our grandma's spare room LOL

"oh yeah? whats he got?"

I know what he's got! He's got whatever turbo he found on the diesel in the pick-a-part yard! :thumb:

DSM = definition of a budget build. :cool:

I dunno what you guys are talking about....I'm pretty sure SUPER STREET had a built talon tsi awd a few years back when I was in highschool and Modified mag featured a fully built 2g in 08 cause I picked up the magazine when I was on my honeymoon. There was also a 93 GSX featured in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. There was also a 99 spyder featured in April of 2009. August of 2004 there was a 95 eclipse too. I also just spotted our own time attack 2g in two issues this past month...

Modified mag in 2008

Ultimate Street Car Challenge

April 09 Spyder

Aug 2004

Our cars are gettin older man. Magazines tend to cover the newest and hottest trends that come out. That's why we don't see too many dsms in magazines nowadays.

I also have to say, this exact reason is one of the many reasons I got into dsms. Everytime I go to the local meets you overhear someone saying,

"oh yeah? whats he got?"

LOL. I LOVE that rep! Anybody who knows anything about dsms knows that we may be broke as shit but our cars are built to hell and that's why we stay in our grandma's spare room LOL

That first 2G is Ron's from up here in Alberta. Since then it's been stripped down, chuted, painted Lamborghini yellow, another new motor(one every year). That car is the definition of fully built/modified:thumb:
The rep we have is awesome, everyone thinks twice before they run against a DSM.

to those who dont think people arent doing huge builds anymore, obviously arent on the DSMlink forums.

big builds that go all out are no big thing to those guys.

im glad dsm's werent whored out in every mag. While the honduh kiddies were out ricing their cars and making pages with shitty motors and setups, dsm's were out there laying down the groundwork for the turbo 4cyl revolution that made cars like the SRT4, Evo, STi, Genesis, etc possible. Plus this way not everyone and thier cousin has one

btw, im watching top gear right now, Evo7 vs the Tanks. If anything we can always live vicarously through the Evo's, as they are techincally our "big brother" even though the DSMs have always been the ones doing the real work and setting records.

Dsm's are just so versatile, They are the known underdog as I call it. People who are in the tuner world know who we are and know just because we might have faded paint and stokc wheel's doesn't mean we can't have over 400hp under the hood. Think of it this way. What other cars do you know f that you can take a bigger turbo form a different model car or one that's older (16g big16g 14b for the 2g guy's) just go to the local junk yard get some bigger injector's go online get fuel pump fuel pressure regulator and a dsm link and everything to need to make the car breath better. And when everything show's up for what aroudn $1500-2000 later and what 4 5 hours of work you have a 11-13 second car. And you can go terrorize the the local tuners the same day you put it all together. I love my car all my friend's havent seen it go down the road yet except for one. I took him for a ride in it.

It sounds like your car is simply in need of maintenance. You most certainly don't have to worry about crankwalk if you have the original engine, however. '99 4g63's have a floating thrust bearing - crankwalk is virtually unheard of with that setup.

my 99 2.4 walked at 122k... Just like my 1g...

:
And not ironically, doing things that way also gives us our other reputation. :)

I wish I would have seen you guys while I was in Edmond, OK maybe my 1g would still be up to par :( :banghead:

AMS in Chicago started off tuning DSMs and I'm sure all the more serious companies they have spanked would agree they are not joke.

AMS is racing an evolution though and it's not a 4g63. They do specialize in our cars and do wonderful work. Just be aware that the "spanking" is not with a DSM.

d

Quote:
"The only "well known" or famous DSM besides the non practical drag DSMs is a horrible car that ruined the DSM reputation from The fast and the furious. These cars are only competitive in drag racing, sure gixxerdrew built one hell of a GST for time attack, but that's only one car."

I'm sure the Archer Brothers might be a little upset to be forgotten. The absolutely cleaned up in SCCA racing for years until they were ruled out of competition.

AMS is racing an evolution though and it's not a 4g63. They do specialize in our cars and do wonderful work. Just be aware that the "spanking" is not with a DSM.

d

They still use 1g drag cars.:hellyeah:

All I really need to say is when you picked up an issue of "Turbo" or "Sport Compact Car" magazine back in '99 these cars were everywhere. These things are old news now, of course the S2000 and EVOs are big deals now.

DSMs arent in Japan where those shops are. American shops love DSMs.

Because they are domestic cars. Sure there first cousin is the Evo and that is a true import.

DSMs are like the redheaded step children, a domestic car but import engine sold by chrysler and mitsu.

Now where I am from there is a rather large dsm following and even the people that hate rice burners see me get out of my car and ask "Is that an AWD" every day.

Edit:

Also, These cars are all at least 10 years old. Many are even older. Most of the "good ones" i.e. Sheppard's car, most of the more highly built ones on this site etc are 1st gens.

Whats cool now is whats new. Just as it was back in 99-02. These cars where "the shit" and it was too bad they quit making them. Too bad they turned the eclipse into a teenie bopper girl car.

And this stuff about Eclipses in Japan, they were sold new over there. They weren't popular becuase they're all left hand drive. It would be like driving a RHD car in the states, just awkward. Not to mention the popularity of the FTO and EVO puts it in an odd spot. There are tuned Eclipses in Japan, and most are "American Style" think fast and furious LOL it's silly.

I love DSMs. I hardly ever see nicely modified cars though. I was soooo close to getting a Sorrano Red 2G GSX back in 2001....but someone had already picked it up. The other choice was a 5G Prelude SH....but it was $7k more than my car. So I went with the car I have now.

I'd still like to pick up a 2G someday if one is in good shape.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back