The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

DSMs not popular throughout tuning culture.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Many people build "awesome DSMs", and I'd look further into the "engineered, Taiwan, crankwalk" BS.

Ignorance is no excuse to further sully the reputation we have as a community. People like YOU are the reason we get a bad rep. "Plain and simple".

I do not wish to give anyone a bad rep, and I am not ruining the reputation we have as a community. I want to put the DSM community on the map, get us coverage. That is why I talked to Luke Munnell-Senior tech editor at Import Tuner, to get Gixxerdrew's ride into the magazine, and I have the emails to prove it. I am not trying to start a civil war here, I thought this thread would not be flamed and we can all respond like adults, and understand the situation of a fellow DSMer by relating to him and getting him not to leave the community,instead of a new member getting flamed by a moderator when he just wanted an opinion.

No one builds awesome dsm's? Do a quick google search for brett rau, or john shepard. The worlds fastest 4 cylinder is a dsm. Or are you expecting a "pimp my ride" build. As for these cars being cheap, they were built right here in the usa, with that cheap uaw labor.
Why don't you sell your dsm, buy a honda, put $5,000 into it, and maybe run 13's.

Lol, one thing I will not do is down grade to a honda civic with altezza lights, that sounds like a weed wacker. I do not like pimp my ride,I was just venting a little bit because my car can be frustrating at times, I am not trying to insult the community. There are some amazing projects going on in the DSM world like the compound turbo setup by 99GSTRacer. My point is that I believe our cars deserve alot more attention. I look in magazines and see Honda HATCHBACKS naturally aspirated, with some chrome in the engine, a wire tuck, and BRIDE seats-that annoys me. How about a clean 2G GSX with an fp3065 that runs tens on pump gas? Who really gets hard over a Honda Civic hatch-with BRIDE seats? I do not get it. I want to see DSM's get the recognition they deserve.

Go get some copies of mid 90's tuning mags and you'll find an eclipse or talon, or laser in almost every
issue. They were in the top 10 import cars list during the 90's, The problem with your post is, The DSM
platform is from a decade ago..which is when they were most relevent. The current performance car is
for Mitsubishi is obviously the Evolution. Look in any tuner magazine and you'll see an Evo in every issue, just like the DSM's of the 90's. Any car that you start modding will suffer reliability because you are making the car output twice and sometimes more the stock power. Its not a DSM thing. you make a high output integra (axles like to snap). Have a Rx-7 with high boost, Apex seals will go. Even the Supra had lots of problems with Crankwalk.
As for current high output, high performance DSM's, try looking at ::Shepracing.com - Home:: . thats
a 20 year old DSM that's running faster than ANY other AWD 4 banger out there...yes even more than the venerable EVO.

N

Obviously it is not maintained, or it wouldn't be falling apart.

Again, your model year does NOT suffer from crankwalk. You're talking out of your ass. I've had 4 DSM's now, and none of them have fallen apart like yours. Maybe it's because I perform proper maintenance on them.

Maybe you should go buy a Toyopet Corolla then. It sounds just like what a person like you needs. I don't think you're quite ready for sports car ownership and the maintenance that comes along with it.

I think you are a wee bit flustered, disgruntled, upset, and peevish.

Haha I have to admit I laughed when I read this. Maybe I should get a PRIUS? :hellyeah:

I'm good.

Have you read my mods list sir? I think I am ready to take on 20 pounds of boost. I do not like the sounds of a Toyopet Corolla. My car isn't falling apart, I dialy drive it every day, the clutch is rather new, yet grinds on me. I have bled the clutch PROPERLY about 6 times now, still sinks to the floor when I put on my brake and press the clutch in. Frustrating. So what would be your idea for what I should do? Thank you sir.

Go get some copies of mid 90's tuning mags and you'll find an eclipse or talon, or laser in almost every
issue. They were in the top 10 import cars list during the 90's, The problem with your post is, The DSM
platform is from a decade ago..which is when they were most relevent. The current performance car is
for Mitsubishi is obviously the Evolution. Look in any tuner magazine and you'll see an Evo in every issue, just like the DSM's of the 90's. Any car that you start modding will suffer reliability because you are making the car output twice and sometimes more the stock power. Its not a DSM thing. you make a high output integra (axles like to snap). Have a Rx-7 with high boost, Apex seals will go. Even the Supra had lots of problems with Crankwalk.
As for current high output, high performance DSM's, try looking at ::Shepracing.com - Home:: . thats
a 20 year old DSM that's running faster than ANY other AWD 4 banger out there...yes even more than the venerable EVO.

N

True, I have never thought about that. The evo does over shadow DSMs-took all of our spotlight away!:ohdamn:

Who really gets hard over a Honda Civic hatch-with BRIDE seats?

The people who buy the magazines.

The mag companies are in the business of selling magazines and one full of DSMs is not going to sell very well. Sorry.

I have bled the clutch PROPERLY about 6 times now, still sinks to the floor when I put on my brake and press the clutch in. Frustrating. So what would be your idea for what I should do?

Replace the clutch fork and shim the pivot ball properly.

If the flywheel was machined when the clutch was installed that material that was cut off needs to be made up for by shimming the pivot ball. :thumb:

I broke down once and it was my own fault. I ignored a squealing alternator belt for 3 months.

You can't expect to push big numbers without maintenance. It's not a question of if it will break, but when. That's true about any sports car.

Same thing happened to me. I have a 93 awd tsi with 74k. I'm the second owner and the first owner was a mature woman.

The only time I have broken down was because I ignored my squealing alternator belt. That being said, I have put $3000 into my car, but it is stock. I did all of the maintenance - timing belt, water pump, new oil filter housing, clutch, control arm, new drivetrain fluids etc. I drive 70 miles a day to work and my car runs beautifully.

So what your car has 60k and needs a clutch? Mine was slipping at 68k. Maintenance is what people don't understand. Most will spend $3k on a big turbo and mods but leave the clutch alone and wonder why things break.

->PrOjEcTGS<-

Take a look at these member's Awesome DSMs:

99gst_racer
blcknspo0ln
gixxerdrew
twicks69
ArcticTsi
andy4g63
fst91dsm

I want to add Phil1320 to that list. This guy is running 12's on the stock 14b turbo!

I just had to get all that off my chest. It bugs me when people complain about DSMs.

The people who buy the magazines.

The mag companies are in the business of selling magazines and one full of DSMs is not going to sell very well. Sorry.

Replace the clutch fork and shim the pivot ball properly.

If the flywheel was machined when the clutch was installed that material that was cut off needs to be made up for by shimming the pivot ball. :thumb:

I see. :hellyeah: :thumb:

I will get this done soon, thanks bro.

Same thing happened to me. I have a 93 awd tsi with 74k. I'm the second owner and the first owner was a mature woman.

The only time I have broken down was because I ignored my squealing alternator belt. That being said, I have put $3000 into my car, but it is stock. I did all of the maintenance - timing belt, water pump, new oil filter housing, clutch, control arm, new drivetrain fluids etc. I drive 70 miles a day to work and my car runs beautifully.

So what your car has 60k and needs a clutch? Mine was slipping at 68k. Maintenance is what people don't understand. Most will spend $3k on a big turbo and mods but leave the clutch alone and wonder why things break.

I want to add Phil1320 to that list. This guy is running 12's on the stock 14b turbo!

I just had to get all that off my chest. It bugs me when people complain about DSMs.

Lol I do not want to start a community hate of TURANO-, maybe I should of re-worded what my post was because I really meant to say I am tired of our community being ignored and not getting recognition for what great cars we have.

That would have been a bit better; thinking THEN typing.

Me "flaming"? You ARE new here.

Lol I do not want to start a community hate of TURANO-, maybe I should of re-worded what my post was because I really meant to say I am tired of our community being ignored and not getting recognition for what great cars we have.

ah, you see, wording does count. ;) I got your point from the beginning, but at least you clarified. Besides, DSMs have gotten their fair share of recognition when they FIRST came out over a decade ago. Our cars have had our reputations set and I don't think I could complain. We're known for having extraordinary powerplants (save for reliability! haha) with a solid capability of bringing the money when its time to cash the check. As for aesthetics, sometimes you can have the hot-chick-from-highschool-2g's, the lacrosse-butch-chick-1g's, or our ever favorite step-child GVR4's LOL

I myself own hondas and toyotas, supra and civics. Maybe some of you will disagree. But those cars were rep. as reliable, cheap to go fast cars.

Supras cheap?

QFT.
#### HKS. #### Greedy, I am glad its overpriced BS collapsed. I'll take my Borg Warner or holset turbo into 10s with pride. I love the value of the american performance parts(except for Garret.). Screw all the JDM tuning companies and their Fanbois.

HaterLOL and since when did HKS collapsed?

It's often because DSM's aren't so reliable that most of us here know how to turn a wrench ...and that's not something to be ashamed of ;)

I drove my car on a 1000 mile round trip without worrying about it. The first 500 miles it was packed full to the point where the hatch would almost not shut, my son was in his kid seat in the rear and my wife was riding shotgun. Car rolled over to 201k miles when I completed the trip. Unreliable bah.

Typical thread bitching about an unmantained 10 year old car. Next?

Exactly! Doesn't matter if YOU maintain your car. Most of the time it's the PREVIOUS owner that didn't. Who's to say those 60k miles were not 60k miles of "run it till something breaks". Or like most 1g guys problems, which is owning a car after some douche beat the living hell out of it without knowing what's right and what's wrong. A used DSM is exactly that, a used DSM.

I also agree with the DSM being a consumer product more then a rarity. Try looking up how much 3si, jza80, FD or NSX parts are. You are LUCKY that the DSM market is this cheap. And you get the best of both worlds. To me, a 4g63 is like a 2jz minus 2 cylinders. Fast and cheap.

I also agree with the DSM being a consumer product more then a rarity. Try looking up how much 3si, jza80, FD or NSX parts are. You are LUCKY that the DSM market is this cheap. And you get the best of both worlds. To me, a 4g63 is like a 2jz minus 2 cylinders. Fast and cheap.

Very good point. I don't want to pay the prices those guy do for no real reason. I like how we are, and I don't want it changed.

its funny how when you get into higher end cars, the 03/04 Cobra and GT500 guys, C5 and C6 vette modders, LS1 guys, etc. how they all know and respect well modded DSM's and/or have come from a DSM background.

Exactly! Doesn't matter if YOU maintain your car. Most of the time it's the PREVIOUS owner that didn't. Who's to say those 60k miles were not 60k miles of "run it till something breaks". Or like most 1g guys problems, which is owning a car after some douche beat the living hell out of it without knowing what's right and what's wrong. A used DSM is exactly that, a used DSM.

I like fast and cheap. :sneaky:

That sucks man. I have a perfect anti-theft system... it's called a 1G w/ bad paint :D Your car was purtiful and probably had things worth stealing. The most you could hope to get out of my car is a couple of quarters and a quart of Mobil 1 :D

That's awesome I have the exact same anti theft system as you. Plus I have no wiring harness in the car right now. Let's see them start it now.:p

DSMS dont need a body kit or any thing that would upset the great looks of the car besides a front mount that makes it look even meaner than it already is and makes the performance go threw the roof i personally own 3 dsms and lovin all of them to the fullest and would never give them up for any other car any one that hates on dsms need to step in to one and see if that dont change their preception

I believe the reason you do not see as many high profile dsm's is because they were a pretty high selling production car. The supras, RD's and other cars are thought to be "exotic" cars. But there are ups and downs to having a dsm vs say an RD(since I own one ;) )

As a dsm owner pretty much everyone knows what they are and the mouth doesn't water when you see one driving down the street. <---con

-FD's are rare and people come up to you all the time and ask what it is and how nice it looks.(they always think it's brand new.) <----pro

As a dsm owner there is a shop around every block with competent people to work on them. <---pro

-FD shops are few and very far inbetween. And alot of shops have only survive a few years unless they are very good at what they do. <---con

As a dsm owner there is more information out there than you could possible read in a lifetime, not to mention great forums and guys that can and will help you. Heck, I see guys on here all the time that say they'll come to your house and help you fix whatever is broken at the time.

-FD owners I've noticed aren't the most helpful bunch of guys in the world. And that's partially due to the fact that there are not many resources out there for us to get information.

just my .02$

Charlie

Charlie! Don't you miss your dsm? BTW you never brought the FD out this summer!

If you look at tuner magazines from the 90's early 2000's they are filled with DSM's... They are 11-20 years old now, do you think they are going to be around forever? Most of the cars in magazines today are newer cars, EVO's STI's and such. Why would they put DSM's in these magazines when they were in the magazines 10 years ago! GTFO!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back