The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

dsmlink vs ecmlink and FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spic21

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2010
albany, Louisiana
ok so i decide that im gonna bite the bullet and get either dsmlink or ecmlink for my 90 talon tsi. ive been read a bit on both of these and cant really tell much difference. i was looking for some advice on witch one to get. i have a non eprom ecu so i will have to send it to be socketed. and i will also be buying cable for my gm maf.

also im gonna thinking im gonna go ahead and get a new FMIC. i also read on this and seen alot of people recommend the Punishment Racing FMIC Kit: 90-94 Eclipse/Talon. it looks like great FMIC just had a question and remember im an idiot so be nice. if i have a 3in gm maf and 3in exhaust would i want a 3in FMIC. just seems like it makes since. also i have a small 16g turbo rite now but plan to go better in future will this change my FMIC hook up to turbo?

all my mods are on my profile and im gonna have it remotely tune once i get which ever link? also if im in need something else that im missing please feel free to give me a heads up. i have a car lot so i dont have a person car i just drive what i want from lot. so im gonna treat the money i put in to this car as a car note and i want it to be right.

dsmlink isn't exactly ecmlink...but it kinda is. ECMlink is V3 and DSMlink is everything before it. And for the FMIC, 3" is overkill, I would just go with the punishment kit.

ok guess there just 2 diff pages im looking at them. just most be diff selling calling them different thing. that would be why they both look about same. so would im on ecmlink.com guess this is a good place to buy from. and as far as kits go should i just spend money and go with V3 or spend less and go with V3lite

dsmlink isn't exactly ecmlink...but it kinda is. ECMlink is V3 and DSMlink is everything before it. And for the FMIC, 3" is overkill, I would just go with the punishment kit.

so will this change with different turbo set up?

Semantics, ECMLink used to be DSMLink. Name change happened around version V3. I'm digging the speed density capability, but the internal boost mapping I think might already be available. Very good stuff.

ok im on site now looking at what i need. looking at ecmlink V3 with gm cable to plug into ecu as well as getting my ecu converted to eprom. is there anything im miss here?

ok so i decide that im gonna bite the bullet and get either dsmlink or ecmlink for my 90 talon tsi. ive been read a bit on both of these and cant really tell much difference.

I guess you didn't read enough, LOL!

ECMtuning is the manufacturer of DSMlink, previously known as ECMlink.

No you do not need or want 3" intercooler piping.

I guess you didn't read enough, LOL!

No you do not need or want 3" intercooler piping.

yea they told me that couple post ago tx
guess i miss that forum

You have it backwards ;)

As for having a small 16g and going to something bigger later, yes, this will change how your FMIC hooks up to your turbo. The small 16g will require a J-pipe from the turbo to the lower intercooler pipe. Most larger turbos fire downwards (unlike your 16g), so you won't need the J-pipe. You might need a different coupler.

You have it backwards ;)

As for having a small 16g and going to something bigger later, yes, this will change how your FMIC hooks up to your turbo. The small 16g will require a J-pipe from the turbo to the lower intercooler pipe. Most larger turbos fire downwards (unlike your 16g), so you won't need the J-pipe. You might need a different coupler.

cool thats not bad. im ready to order it then

as far as ecu go. i have a couple. one that came with car and two i bought a few yrs ago. i notice on ecmlink web site there is a different ecu for 1990 talon. if the one that i have in my car is not a 1990 will that cause a problem. i ask this because i need to send mine off to be socketed. and dont want to send the wrong one. also since im getting ecmlink. can i remove my afc2?

You have it backwards ;)

Oops, I sure did. You know what I mean.

also since im getting ecmlink. can i remove my afc2?

Yes, link will replace your AFC2 (and add a whole lot of other goodies).

as far as ecu go. i have a couple. one that came with car and two i bought a few yrs ago. i notice on ecmlink web site there is a different ecu for 1990 talon. if the one that i have in my car is not a 1990 will that cause a problem. i ask this because i need to send mine off to be socketed. and dont want to send the wrong one.

I know that some 1990 ECU's came with EPROM. You might want to take a peak inside and see if yours does.

Here is an ECU with no EPROM:
attachment.php

Here is one with EPROM:
attachment.php

And here is one with ECMlink v3
attachment.php

Hope this helps!

think mine look like 2 one. now im real confused. i still need work done to ecu right? thought it was to make socket to plug chip in. im gonna open them again when i get home

Last edited by a moderator:
ok im on site now looking at what i need. looking at ecmlink V3 with gm cable to plug into ecu as well as getting my ecu converted to eprom. is there anything im miss here?
think mine look like 2 one. now im real confused. i still need work done to ecu right? thought it was to make socket to plug chip in. im gonna open them again when i get home

Socketting and EPROM conversion are 2 different things. If yours is already EPROM then they just socket their chip in. For instance, my ECU is non-EPROM, so they will have to convert it to EPROM and then socket it (i.e. more expensive). Sorry if I confused you, I wasn't sure if you already knew if you had an EPROM or not, just showing you the difference.

Socketting and EPROM conversion are 2 different things. If yours is already EPROM then they just socket their chip in. For instance, my ECU is non-EPROM, so they will have to convert it to EPROM and then socket it (i.e. more expensive). Sorry if I confused you, I wasn't sure if you already knew if you had an EPROM or not, just showing you the difference.

ok got it. think mine are eprom. glad i didnt place order yet. im gonna double check them. think i have 2 eprom and one non. 3 or so years ago when i got this car we though ecu was bad so i went and bought and couple ecus on ebay. ended up it was the CAS that was bad. i look at them a couple months ago just cant remember what i saw now

Looking to get a socketed eprom ecu, the cost is more it plus the conversion, i just saw that, ill sell my 93 ecu i guess. Thanks DOHC.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back