The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

dsmlink ???'s can't find answers anywhere

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90laserRSfwd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Ok so I'm getting ready to purchase DSMLink. I just bought an eprom ecu, and I'm having it socketed and recapped. I have been searching all around and I can't seem to get a straight answers to my questions.

1) It seems as though you can't run the car past 8K with DSMLink?
Now when I say can't run I don't mean the rev. limiter, I mean that it only have timing
and fuel controls for up to 8K, so does that mean I can't rev my car higher, or can't
tune it higher then 8K, or what's the deal?

2) Are 950cc injectors the biggest that I can run? I have been doing alot of research and
based on my finds thus far I have come to the conclusion that with a few fuel system
updates I can run E85/gas mixture with good results. I was thinking about getting
1600cc injectors from FIC, but I see the biggest base setting allowed by DSMLink is
950cc. Can injectors that large be compansated for?

3) Base timing and fuel pressure. Do I have to change them to start out? Or just later on
if required? (with larger injectors I mean)

* I have a 1990 plymouth laser rs fwd turbo 5 speed. My mod's list is currently not up to date because I haven't finished putting the car back together yet. Need advice b4 I order the injectors and pump. Will a Walbro 255hp (rewired) be enough pump, or do I need to look into something like the Aeromotive A1000? I have a scm6152e - 61mm inducer / 82mm exducer, stage 5 turbine wheel, mitsu turbine .63 a/r (maybe to small for high rpm we'll see) it's more or less a gt35r non ball bearing basicly I have come to assume. Also 272's or 280's? I have ferrea s/s valves, bronze guildes, crower single springs and titanium ret. (ffwd s/s denominator head). arp head studs and Mitsu MLS gasket. (motor will have eagle rods / wiesco 8.3:1's (ordered and waiting like a kid at Christmas). Thanks in advance, sorry for the poor layout and disorganized information.

-Jace :laser:

You can only use the dsmlink forum if you have bought dsmlink...
:beatentodeath:

Anyways, dsmlink can control much larger than 900+ injectors.. And why do you want to reb to 8k anyways? is your head built for it? These arent honda motors, you dont need to rev to 9k to get some vtec power.
255 pump should be fine on that turbo. Set your fuel pressure at 43 and see how it is and base timing at 5 to see where you are at. From there adjust them.

I have a PTE 6152 turbo with a 2.0L and a ffwd connection s/s dominator head

s/s valves
crower single springs and titanium retainers
you probably know the head

I don't think the PTE (scm6151e) would give me a very good power band, it only spools 21 psi fully around 4600. So say even 4500 to 7K is very fast haha, so I thought about doing 8K or 8500. Plus I'm fwd and 1g so wouldn't fuel be 36 or 38 psi base? you know more then me that's why I'm asking, I'm not trying to be a dick just a noob and am learning. I do appriciate the info that you've provided, got anymore, I'm eager to learn and I read on these forums as much as I can in my free time. DSM's are addicting

Now when I say can't run I don't mean the rev. limiter, I mean that it only have timing and fuel controls for up to 8K, so does that mean I can't rev my car higher, or can't tune it higher then 8K, or what's the deal?
Values beyond 8K are interpolated; so, you can run above 8k just fine (and quite a few people do), but you won't be able to fine-tune above 8k.
Are 950cc injectors the biggest that I can run? I have been doing alot of research and based on my finds thus far I have come to the conclusion that with a few fuel system updates I can run E85/gas mixture with good results. I was thinking about getting 1600cc injectors from FIC, but I see the biggest base setting allowed by DSMLink is 950cc. Can injectors that large be compansated for?
Most folks will tell you that 1600s will not idle properly on traditional fuel. However, with the higher volumes required for E85 and methanol, a few people are now reporting that E85 is the magic bullet to making 1600s a joy on a DSMLink'd car. So, yes, 1600s work just fine with DSMLink, but you should be prepared for idle issues on traditional fuel.
Base timing and fuel pressure. Do I have to change them to start out? Or just later on if required? (with larger injectors I mean)
Play with these to your heart's content. You can easily compensate in DSMLink if you decide to change injectors or base timing later; the upshot is that because you're a 1g, you get the added advantage of not having to worry about losing your settings if you disconnect the battery and getting stranded somewhere without a laptop. ;)

You should also know that one of the best features of DSMLink is the forum; the sheer density of information over there is easily worth the price of admission, and everyone is generally quite friendly out of respect for our hosts (Tom and Dave).

Thank you "logic" for taking the time to answer my questions in the fashion that you did, it's people like yourself that make me wanna keep pluging away at learning this whole new thing. This isn't my first dsm I just never was intrested in tuning my car. My other talon I just did like a boost controler and K&N and I was happy. Now I'm not happy with 200hp any longer and I've decided to sell my dirtbike and start having fun with my laser. I know everyone hates fwd but out off all the fwd's I've owned this one doesn't seem to be that bad really, of course I'm not making any REAL power so I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune soon enough. Thanks again, oh and to everyone else that's pitched in on my thread's I thank you guys to, I just said something about "logic" because he answered them one at a time and I'm kind of confused about all the info I've been reading so breaking it down like that (1 at a time) helps when your a noob I guess, for me at least.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back