The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved dsmlink doubts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
Here's the story: I was ready to buy dsmlink but ecmtuning stopped shipping until August 8. Today is that day, but I'm not ready yet. I'm missing a weidband and injectors. Should I just buy link or wait? I've been waiting for a long time and I have the money to buy link brand new now. Are there any benefits tuning a stock car?

Last edited:
I don't think you will get much from it with stock injectors and no wide band, but it is definitely worth it. I used it to "band aid" problems I had on other cars before I modded them, worked great and in the end I was going to need it anyways. If your strapped for cash pick up some evo injectors or 650's and a used wide band, that will get you plenty and they are cheap these days. Evo injectors can be had for $50.

I just sold my 560 injectors today :rolleyes: Since I was buying link, I decided to upgrade injectors. Another problem, I have a full stock exhaust system. If I find the bigger injectors and weidband, am I still at a disadvantage with the exhaust system. :banghead: I want link in my hands so bad now :cry::cry:
I don't think you will get much from it with stock injectors and no wide band, but it is definitely worth it. I used it to "band aid" problems I had on other cars before I modded them, worked great and in the end I was going to need it anyways. If your strapped for cash pick up some evo injectors or 650's and a used wide band, that will get you plenty and they are cheap these days. Evo injectors can be had for $50.

Some vendors on here will offer discounts on ecm link or special offers, I'd say buy it from a reputable vendor, but make sure all boost leaks are fixed prior to tunning with link, and also inspect the compression of the engine... you pretty much should check up on all maintenance, before you tune it or raise the boost.

Some vendors on here will offer discounts on ecm link or special offers, I'd say buy it from a reputable vendor, but make sure all boost leaks are fixed prior to tunning with link, and also inspect the compression of the engine... you pretty much should check up on all maintenance, before you tune it or raise the boost.
I'm buying from ecmtuning since there socketing my ecu when I order link. So should I order it following my circumstances?

Buy it or see if there is one in the classifieds that comes with a ecli. I got mine for like 550 with ECU V3full. It was a great deal. Sometimes they pop up just saying.

I would just invest in link if you have the money.. then you'll never have to worry about it again

Not really sure I understand your problem here. A wideband and injectors are "useless" without tuning, so you need link regardless. You can do more right now with just link than you could with just wideband and injectors.

You are eventually going to get link anyway so just get it. These FIRST mods can be done in practically any order but you should have them all done BEFORE you start changing anything (tune, boost etc...)

WBo2, Boost gauge, Link, MBC.

Yeah I think dsm link, a wide band o2 sensor, bigger injectors, better flowing exhaust, install a catch can, and a brake upgrade should be among the first upgrades you do.

In your case Id just wait for ecmlink to be ready to socket the ecu, or contact some vendors that are advertising, specials on ecm link, and see what they can offer you as far as a whole packaged deal including the ecu socket job, if you want to save a few bucks some vendors will offer things like free shipping and no tax etc.

what ever you decide to do, leave the money you saved for link alone, and budget some more money towards a wide band and other upgrades you plan to do.

I actually started with buying the 3kgt big brake calipers, and the evo 8 brake master cylinder for my dsm, I plan on hunting down some stainless lines too, have not installed them yet cause I plan on making a large post on my dsm build, I figured there would be vary little sense putting all the power down, if you cant stop it when you want to.

Even a stock DSM can benefit from having ECMLink and a wideband gauge, if I were to start over from a blank slate the first "mod" to my DSM would be ECMLink.

Exactly. I just recently put a 14b on my car coming from a T-25, and I've only got intake and exhaust. I'm using EcuFlash for my car, but the concept is still the same. I don't have a wideband, only a boost gauge, so I leaned my map out just a tiny bit and felt a difference immediately.

I say get Link, learn your way around the software and practice making very small changes to your stock setup. You'll be much better prepared when you do end up getting the rest of your parts.

Exactly. I just recently put a 14b on my car coming from a T-25, and I've only got intake and exhaust. I'm using EcuFlash for my car, but the concept is still the same. I don't have a wideband, only a boost gauge, so I leaned my map out just a tiny bit and felt a difference immediately.

I say get Link, learn your way around the software and practice making very small changes to your stock setup. You'll be much better prepared when you do end up getting the rest of your parts.
Thanks for everyone's input. Now to order link later on today. :hellyeah:

Please do not attempt to tune your car if you do not have a wideband or do not know what you are looking for while logging. Buy it now, leave it alone until you are ready for it. These people saying you don't need a wideband and it can be used on a stock car already know what they are doing(or at least have an idea...) and know when to back off and when to give it more. Don't cut corners. Not accusing you of being ignorant, just felt this needed to be clarified.

Please do not attempt to tune your car if you do not have a wideband or do not know what you are looking for while logging. Buy it now, leave it alone until you are ready for it. These people saying you don't need a wideband and it can be used on a stock car already know what they are doing(or at least have an idea...) and know when to back off and when to give it more. Don't cut corners. Not accusing you of being ignorant, just felt this needed to be clarified.
I had no plans of tuning until I buy what's needed. I just wanted to know if I should just buy link and get over it already.

Last edited:
Im glad I got link best investment in my dsm, lots to things to log and already my dsm is running much better than before with a bit of tuning.

Link is one of the first things any stock DSM should get + a wideband + nitrous + LOL jk just link + wideband when ever you got the money get link then get a wideband when you can.

Since you haven't bought one yet, don't purchase an AEM UEGO wideband because 9 times out of 10 they don't log accurately in ECMLink. Look at purchasing an LC1 or MTX-L if you can help it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back