The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

dsmlink 1st log advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagri said:
98spydert

Violater101 is correct, , looking at playitlouddsm's profile, he has 50 trim, and assuming he is running anywhere above 13 psi, he will be in max airflow. Max timing for max airflow table is around 16, no matter what you do you will not get any more timing than that(every car is the same as long as they use the same 2G ECU), unless you add timing via Dsmlink sliders, or you are hiding air via (S-AFC) type of device.

In perfect world, with no knock,with normal intake and coolant temps, max timing he will get on his 2G car is around 16, so looking at his data I don't see anything wrong, he can take some fuel out and that may make his car faster but it will not give him more timing.

I was unaware that 16 was max. Why would I get 19+ when I have injector compenation via EPROM chip, therefore not hacking airflow considerably?

playitloud, yes just lean until knock shows up. The only reason I really mentioned timing so much is because timing advance = more power. Two guys running everything identicle, one having 16 degrees timing and the other at 22, the later will lay down a lot more power. It takes a decent air/fuel mixture and good timing advance (without inducing knock) to make good power.

Silly question: Did you zero out your LTFT before you started all this? If the LTFT is out of wack, it will affect your tuning a lot.

I also agree you should post this on the DSMLink forum if you haven't done so already.

Rx3 said:
Silly question: Did you zero out your LTFT before you started all this? If the LTFT is out of wack, it will affect your tuning a lot.

I also agree you should post this on the DSMLink forum if you haven't done so already.

His LTFT's have no bearing on WOT with the dsmlink...your thinking in terms of an afc. THose are for closed loop applications.

Violater101 said:
His LTFT's have no bearing on WOT with the dsmlink...your thinking in terms of an afc. THose are for closed loop applications.

That's incorrect.

A car with "trim issues" will be more difficult to tune @ WOT.

Trim issues are indicative of fuel delivery or air metering problems, both of which the ECU expects to be correct.

If they are not, then the delivered volume of fuel will not be in direct proportion to the metered amount of air.

Getting the fuel trims in line ensures that the fuel delivery and air metering is operating properly.

So, while trims don't directly effect WOT the ability to stabilize them does have a direct bearing on WOT performance.

Hal

Hal said:
That's incorrect.

Trim issues are indicative of fuel delivery or air metering problems, both of which the ECU expects to be correct.

If they are not, then the delivered volume of fuel will not be in direct proportion to the metered amount of air.

Getting the fuel trims in line ensures that the fuel delivery and air metering is operating properly.

So, while trims don't directly effect WOT the ability to stabilize them does have a direct bearing on WOT performance.

Hal

Thanks for the info... I didn't realize the latter part.

Hal said:
That's incorrect.

Hal

Hey Hal, could you shead some light on my earlier question? All my trims are zeroed, I run an eprom chip compensating for my 650s, using a MAF-t to tune, AFPR at stock 2g FP, tuned based on timing curve showed by logger and keeping an eye on my knock gauge, the basic lean til ya knock then richin it slightly. If the stock timing limit is 16 degrees, why would I be showing up to 22 at redline on a log when I'm not hacking the airflow significantly? Thanks for any info!

I am not sure what is involved in EPROM chip, I believe MAFT can also can hide airflow(are you hiding any?), but if your ship is burned for 650cc than I am not sure what is going on.
3 Possibilities;
You are either not flowing enough air to be in high airflow table(not likely if you are running anything over 15psi and bigger turbo than t-25) or , your EPROM chip is manually adding Timing or hiding air or MAFT is hiding air, I am not sure which. Either way I am really surprised that you can run 22 timing on pump gas(what octane???), and not knock.

playitlouddsm, you are coorect, if you are on pump gas, you can try adding timing to see if you can get away with more than stock timing, if you do, great!, if you don't I would let it be.

Running more timing will not gain you that much more horsepower. Running more boost will. I actually take away timing and run higher boost. It is a much safer way to make power on pump gas.

All in all, I don't see how anyone runs more than 16 degrees of timing on pumpgas with anything above 17psi. I subscribe to the more boost/less timing theory anyhow. I know with my setup, I'm adding fuel down low (1k to around 3k) in order to get my trims right and the idle to be good. I also raised the rpm level to 900. Maybe that will help.

cagri said:
I am not sure what is involved in EPROM chip, I believe MAFT can also can hide airflow(are you hiding any?), but if your ship is burned for 650cc than I am not sure what is going on.
3 Possibilities;
You are either not flowing enough air to be in high airflow table(not likely if you are running anything over 15psi and bigger turbo than t-25) or , your EPROM chip is manually adding Timing or hiding air or MAFT is hiding air, I am not sure which. Either way I am really surprised that you can run 22 timing on pump gas(what octane???), and not knock.

My chip doesn't touch timing and I run 20psi on my evo316G on 91 oct. :cool: Ah well, I guess there's nothing to worry about, it's just wierd.

adidas_coin said:
Luvin that O2 voltage!!! Shell must love you. :D
LMFAO.. ohh my god that was funny. I hope hes runnin 87 octane so he aint spendin so much money. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back