The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DSM picture in the news (maybe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy E

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2003
Syracuse, New_York
I was reading this article on CNN, and the picture appears to be a blue 2g....at least thats what I think......

DSM in the news!

Maybe I'm wrong, take a look and tell me what you think

I know why their percentages were off... They included Maryland!

I've never seen more people that can't drive in my life. I think it's a sport to see how slow they can go when getting on the highway. If there is a car within 400 yards, it seems they must come to a complete stop before merging.

it looks like a 97-98 talon:D cuz the headlights wont go to a 97-99 eclipse and the front bumper just seems like the 97-98 talon :D god i love them cars:thumb:

That article is a load of crap. Driving faster does not cause accidents, being an incompetent driver causes accidents. I am getting sick of all these articles being written lately that purely blame one factor of driving to cause all these accidents. Its not the faster driver, its other drivers that have no idea of their surroundings on the road. I wonder why in Europe, where there are areas of much faster driving than in the US, there are less fatalities? The answer is because drivers are actually TAUGHT how to drive over there. In America, if you can read and do a 3 point turn, by God, you deserve to pilot a 3500lb car anywhere you damn well please. Across the pond, it is MUCH harder (and more costly) to get licensed, but the result is being on the road with other drivers that acknoledge your presence on the road. (note- there are also a fair share of HORRIBLE drivers in europe, who dont give a damn about anything, including how many lanes a road has)

I can list off countless horror stories of driving here and almost being in accidents due to incompetent driving. The latest being just today, merging onto a highway with a posted limit of 70mph, the 90 year old lady in front of me in her Grand Marquis (French for Old Slow persons car) decided that she would hit her BRAKES the whole way up the onramp, and slow to 35 mph so she could merge with traffic. This caused the person behind her to actually pull around her and end up cutting off the Grand Marquis when the merge lane ended.

Another quick example. I was riding in my friends Supra on the same highway as before. We were going approx. 80mph (10 over limit) and came up on a vehicle doing 60 mph (10 under limit) in the LEFT HAND LANE. Due to traffic we were unable to go around for a few moments, so my friend decided to signal the driver. He tapped his horn at first to no avail, so, in european fashion, decided to flash the high beams once or twice. Still nothing. He started to flash his lights AND honk his horn simultaneously for approxamately 5 minutes of driving before the driver of the other vehicle FINALLY got the hint and sped up and moved out of the way. Amazing. It is this kind of lack of acknowledging your surroundings that causes people to die on Americas highways. Its just a lot easier to write a speeding ticket than an "incompetence ticket".

I totally agree with the V8 eater, people in this country need to learn how to drive, there is a merge near my college and no one knows how to do it correctly. They all stop at the merge and just sit there, nothing pisses me off more. Then you have to floor it and merge like an @$$ because people in front of you dont know how to merge correctly.

Dont blame high speeds for fatalities, blame idiots that dont deserve to drive a car....

people need to learn how to control their car, not blame "speeders" who know what they are doing

Back in the Dark Days, when we had a National Maximum Speed Limit of 55 MPH, the CHP had a bumper sticker that read:

55 = Lives/Fuel

Which to me, always read as "Lives divided by Fuel".

It was the first generation in history to have travelled more slowly than its fathers.

Thank god we're getting faster. The few more lives lost are made up by the millions of hours no longer wasted behind a wheel.

.....Congrats

Suprised nobody mentioned the GST Spyder in the Carmax commercial yet

I don't think the article is a load of crap, in fact I believe it to be true. But here is where the V8 eater is wrong. The article doesn't say that faster speeds cause more accidents, it says that faster speeds cause more DEATHS. The number of accidents might be the same or more, but if the accident occurs at a higher speed, death is a more likely result. I agree that incompetent drivers cause the most accidents, but they won't go away any time soon:) And as for Europe, I think you are wrong too. Do you know what percentage of the population drives a car in Europe compared to the percentage of the population that drives a car in America? I don't know the numbers, but I have friends from Europe who will say that MANY more Americans drive (they have to!) than Europeans. Maybe it is the public transportation system here (lack of) and the suburban living we all like, but Americans need to have a car and drive themselves. This will naturally put more of the incompetent drivers on the road. Personally, I think it is the bad attitude of a lot of drivers that causes accidents (How dare you pass me you bastard, I'll show you! Or...That bastard cut me off, I'll fix him!). Now those are some stories that are fun to tell:)

Yeah I think people with hondas cause accidents. They are #### heads. I used to own a civic and I drove like crap too LOL. Trashed the car but not in the accident. ####ed up a motor. I was happy to get rid of the slow pc of shit.

Originally posted by TwoLiterV8Eater
That article is a load of crap. Driving faster does not cause accidents, being an incompetent driver causes accidents. I am getting sick of all these articles being written lately that purely blame one factor of driving to cause all these accidents. Its not the faster driver, its other drivers that have no idea of their surroundings on the road. I wonder why in Europe, where there are areas of much faster driving than in the US, there are less fatalities? The answer is because drivers are actually TAUGHT how to drive over there. In America, if you can read and do a 3 point turn, by God, you deserve to pilot a 3500lb car anywhere you damn well please. Across the pond, it is MUCH harder (and more costly) to get licensed, but the result is being on the road with other drivers that acknoledge your presence on the road. (note- there are also a fair share of HORRIBLE drivers in europe, who dont give a damn about anything, including how many lanes a road has)

I can list off countless horror stories of driving here and almost being in accidents due to incompetent driving. The latest being just today, merging onto a highway with a posted limit of 70mph, the 90 year old lady in front of me in her Grand Marquis (French for Old Slow persons car) decided that she would hit her BRAKES the whole way up the onramp, and slow to 35 mph so she could merge with traffic. This caused the person behind her to actually pull around her and end up cutting off the Grand Marquis when the merge lane ended.

Another quick example. I was riding in my friends Supra on the same highway as before. We were going approx. 80mph (10 over limit) and came up on a vehicle doing 60 mph (10 under limit) in the LEFT HAND LANE. Due to traffic we were unable to go around for a few moments, so my friend decided to signal the driver. He tapped his horn at first to no avail, so, in european fashion, decided to flash the high beams once or twice. Still nothing. He started to flash his lights AND honk his horn simultaneously for approxamately 5 minutes of driving before the driver of the other vehicle FINALLY got the hint and sped up and moved out of the way. Amazing. It is this kind of lack of acknowledging your surroundings that causes people to die on Americas highways. Its just a lot easier to write a speeding ticket than an "incompetence ticket".

I agree with you completely. I know ALOT of people who should have never been given their drivers license. I have a friend who honestly CANNOT back up in anything resembling a straight line and has the perception and reactions of a freaking rock. I hate driving with him because I always have to point things out to him. Sometimes he tries to start his car when its already running, and sometimes he tries to take off when it isnt even running!
:rolleyes:
Im not even going to get into his shifting, picture slipping the clutch all the way through 1st and sometimes going from 2nd to 5th gear and not realizing it. He actually wouldn't believe me when I told him he was doing this(he thought thats how the car was geared) until I took his hand on the shifter and showed him where 3rd and 4th is. I mean DAMN.
Yeah basically alot of people shouldnt be behind the wheel.

Well the study basically said higher speeds = more deaths, which will basically be a no brainer.And dont blame the drivers blame the country, becuase it is so easy to get a drivers licence it isnt even funny.Permit, wow thats a breaze, about 18 common sense questions. Then actually getting your licence doesnt take a lot of driving skills either.I was reading an article that said Germans were better drivers than Americans, which is true becuase it is 10 times harder and more extensive to earn a licence in Germany than it is here in the US.Thats why they can have the autobahn there and we have 50mph speed limits here.Its not too cool bashing people that wreck either, most likely its the fault of just one driver, not both.So being in a car accident doesnt really make you a bad driver.

Originally posted by DarthBulk
And as for Europe, I think you are wrong too. Do you know what percentage of the population drives a car in Europe compared to the percentage of the population that drives a car in America? I don't know the numbers, but I have friends from Europe who will say that MANY more Americans drive (they have to!) than Europeans. Maybe it is the public transportation system here (lack of) and the suburban living we all like, but Americans need to have a car and drive themselves. This will naturally put more of the incompetent drivers on the road. Personally, I think it is the bad attitude of a lot of drivers that causes accidents (How dare you pass me you bastard, I'll show you! Or...That bastard cut me off, I'll fix him!). Now those are some stories that are fun to tell:)

Read my post again, especially this part:

I wonder why in Europe, where there are areas of much faster driving than in the US, there are less fatalities? The answer is because drivers are actually TAUGHT how to drive over there. In America, if you can read and do a 3 point turn, by God, you deserve to pilot a 3500lb car anywhere you damn well please. Across the pond, it is MUCH harder (and more costly) to get licensed, but the result is being on the road with other drivers that acknoledge your presence on the road. (note- there are also a fair share of HORRIBLE drivers in europe, who dont give a damn about anything, including how many lanes a road has)

So you are basically agreeing with me, yet you say you disagree?

Originally posted by ABK
Yeah I think people with hondas cause accidents. They are #### heads. I used to own a civic and I drove like crap too LOL. Trashed the car but not in the accident. ####ed up a motor. I was happy to get rid of the slow pc of shit.
Don't pull this crap here.

Carry on gentlemen.

Originally posted by TwoLiterV8Eater
In America, if you can read and do a 3 point turn, by God, you deserve to pilot a 3500lb car anywhere you damn well please.

In California you don't even have to speak english or be in the US leaglly to get a license. What is it 12 dollars to get tested, hell the government doesn't care if you're an illegal alien they just made 12 bucks!

The US needs to charge as much as Germany to get a license and also make it much tougher to pass. It's not like they are going to lose money. Everyone needs to drive in the US, plus if they made it harder they'd get even more money from people who fail the first time.

BlackViper

Hey TwoLiterV8Eater, I guess I was agreeing with you in principle on the driving situation in Europe, but I was just expanding on the reasons for the situation being like it is over there, and why that makes for a bad comparison to driving here. I agree with you that by making testing much harder to pass in Europe, you end up with more "cream of the crop" drivers on the road. But I was disagreeing with the part about drivers being "actually TAUGHT how to drive over there". Drivers are supposed to be taught how to drive over here too, and if they aren't being taught well enough, that is a failing of the driver's education schools, not of the system here. At least when I went through driver's ed, we were all taught quite a bit about rules of the road (courtesy, how to get along with other drivers on the road, etc.), besides just the laws. But maybe that is a State based thing. I believe each State is in control of their own driver's ed standards, is that correct? So maybe I was a little hasty in saying you were wrong about Europe :)

And you are right about there being a lot of horrible drivers over there as well...I was shocked by some drivers I saw from Europe who looked like they didn't have the brainpower to get up in the morning, let alone drive a car. But I guess there are drivers like that everywhere...

Charging more money for a driver's license does not help with driving skills. It does prevent a lot of people from driving, however, if they can't afford a driver's license. So you end up with fewer drivers, I guess.

Oh, and keeping in the spirit of this thread...that's a nice shade of blue on that 2G in the article:thumb:

The problem over here is that the driver’s test/course is based on transportation that is long gone. Back when is was RWD or nothing, 1 traffic light towns, and not all households had 2-3 cars.

The basics are there. The execution of these rules needs to be questioned, tested, and then proven. I am sorry but there should be YEARLY check-ups for the elderly once you reach a certain age. In NJ "Driving is a privilege, not a right" Well, if that is the case how come so my fvckups are able to drive!

The moving slow in the fast lane is one of my biggest pet peeves. A close second is what I call the Jersey roadblock: 2 lane road, 2 cars moving the same speed NEXT to each other.

The following laws need to be observed (it would help my blood pressure a LOT)

1. The accelerator is on the RIGHT
2. Left lane to pass ONLY
3. Yield does NOT mean stop and wait for traffic to stop for you
4. If there is someone behind you and flashes/honks. That doesn't mean they think you are going to fast and should slow down for them.
5. When a car is passing you, that isn't an invitation to speed up.
6. The driver’s manual must have been written by someone who is dyslexic. It SHOULD have read: Indicate THEN turn. Sorry for the confusion.
7. AWD means All Wheel Drive. IVS (instant vehicle stop) hasn't quite been perfected yet. The common misconception is that AWD vehicles automatically come equipped with IVS. I wish so many people wouldn't try and test their elusive IVS systems in the snow... it really adds a lot of time to my commute.
8. Cell phones and minivans are a lethal combination and should be stored separately.
9. Green means GO, not wait 'till the bloody light turns yellow again!

The problem with rule 9 is that too many people run red lights. Which baffles me because it's not like the red light comes as a surprise or anything. Greeeeeeennnnn.... and..... STOP! Hee hee… fooled you! It’s just not like that folks.

Ok, I'm done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back