The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM History - Touring the Factory

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
After having some discussion about the 1g talon convertible amongst our members I wanted to see who remembers the concepts at the factory? I hope I'm not remembering this incorrectly. We were not allowed to take pictures. I was at the 97 factory tour prior to the shootout. I'm sure somebody on this board was there. There were some concept cars on the floor and one of them was a 1g convertible. I thought it was the X2S concept car but after reviewing some online pics I don't know anymore. It was so long ago. Was anybody on here there for that tour?

As a little side history we had a lot of fun on the trip. On complete accident me and a few friends ran into a guy at an autozone in Normal. He was wearing a DSM jacket (really nice too) and we just assumed he was part of our group. He wasn't. He was the quality control guy at the end of the assembly line. Drove a porsche as it turns out. We introduced ourselves and hung out for the evening. I had to bail early but I'm told my buddies schooled his porsche all night long.
The following day was the plant tour. I remember most the PR session we had with a whole group of us. Up front was myself, Tom Stangl (vfaq.com) and Todd day (talon digest). This was pre-tcase recall. The PR guy was giving his speech (usually reserved for average people, school kids etc,). We proceeded to ask direct questions and he got nervous. He told us about installing a motor and transmission in less than 2 min (the audience visibly laughed) and it was NOT the reaction he usually got. At the end ouf the tour somebody from the PR group was giving away a bunch of DSM related stuff as DSM the company was already disbanding so the logo merchandise for DSM wasn't worth anything. It was like pirahna as I recall.
I don't think teh company guys knew what to think of us. We were also allowed into the plant store (DSM merchandise, tshirts etc). That wasn't usual for a plant tour but we were happy to be able to buy it.
Neat time in history. Not sure another plant tour like that ever happened again.

Ok now. The cars at the plant may not have been concepts. The first 2 produced of the tsi line for 90 1 for sure was kept at the plant and the 2nd was given to the city of normal but it may have been stored at the factory still. Now there was a few at the Chrysler hq in Detroit. Those was concepts or prototypes. Because back then all the engineer designers was in Detroit still. When I was driven around by Robert he took me around showed me the Bronco test off road track and engine designers shops some closed but they still had all the decals faded on the buildings. And a few of the body modification design locations for Ford gm and Dodge. Back in the 90's . So they would drive the concepts or prototypes the week before the Detroit Autoshow to the location and set up for the show.

And what about the Plymouth x2s proto? anybody seen that in the last 10-20 years?
Had to look that up, as I didn't remember what it looked like....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i thought the coupe one, but the roadster is missing too..

It's the last information: "The Plymouth X2S is currently being stored at the DaimlerChrysler Detroit Office Warehouse. It has been seen stored outside, in an L-shaped area on the south side of the building." from wikipedia, but no one knows somebody who knows somebody, who see that in the reality...
I tried to find the google maps satellite view, I can't see dsm-shaped car...

I can go by this summer and see if I can find it. I might know a guy that knows a guy.

Fyi the convertible laser is also there. Its the twin to mine it was the 2nd car mentioned in the old craigslist ad. Both was built together but was fwd non turbo. I will try and get pictures of it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc one of the 1g designers names was listed in the xs2 article and I tracked him down and actually got him to call me back, he was living in CA back in 09. I can't remember a lot of what we discussed but I do know they had no clue when they were designing the car how insanely popular it would become.

I really wish I would have made a post about our discussion.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back