The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM Daily Driver Success/Horror Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega260

10+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2012
Clinton, New_Jersey
Hello all,

I am currently saving my pennies for a DSM. Now I hear lots of shyte about this car all the time, (especially from friends trying to convince me not to buy one) but I want to hear stories from you actual owners. Does it break everyday? Have you not broken anything in a year? Obviously their are alot of variables (condition of car when bought etc etc). Im probably going to buy one anyway, but I just want to hear stories.

Hello all,

I am currently saving my pennies for a DSM. Now I hear lots of shyte about this car all the time, (especially from friends trying to convince me not to buy one) but I want to hear stories from you actual owners. Does it break everyday? Have you not broken anything in a year? Obviously their are alot of variables (condition of car when bought etc etc). Im probably going to buy one anyway, but I just want to hear stories.

I daily drove my gst for over 2 years and I've had my gsx a few months now. I drive it hard from time to time. Ive haven't had any major issues. Always kept up with maintenance. The gst had 138k on it and my gsx has 115k. Both cars are fantastic and I really enjoy owning a dsm.

DSMs are just like every car. You run them hard they wear faster. And obviously people buy them thinking they are supercars from stock and beat on them. Then you have the idiots modding them without a clue as to what they are doing. You do your maintenance on time and don't cheap out, then your Dsm will last. Keep in mind these are 13+ year old cars. They aren't going to be perfect or mint as if they just rolled off the assembly line. Good luck with the shopping and keep us posted!
I have had one DSM break due to my own stupidity. When you go for a test drive, if you are serious about the car. Show them the cash and push the car a bit so you don't get surprised later because you were to scared to push the car while testing.

If your buying one off of Craigslist or something, be prepared to test it right, if your boosting listening for any boost leaks (you should definitely feel the car not pushing as much as it should) try to find one as close to stock as possible, as already stated people mod these cars not knowing how to do it or go the cheap route and end up messing up the car. Be patient in your search, when you find one be prepared to drop money on the maintenance regardless of what the previous owner tells you and be prepared to get your hands dirty. Good Luck with your search :)

If you start off with a good condition one they are great, a friend of mine has had his for 7 years, and DD'ed it non-stop, has a/c, p/s, cruise etc.

I DD'ed mine for about 3 years making upwards of 450whp and never had any problems either.

All cars require maintenance, nothing new there, just starting with a solid car is almost everything. If you buy a poorly maintained one, be prepared to get it up to par before you start having fun with it, but just do you best to find a decent one off the rip.

Just keep up on everything and it will be fine. If you build one do it right and don't buy cheap crap. I have been d.d. Dsms since 98 and my wife has been d.d. Them also for the last 10 years. I just keep up on it all and they go just keep going strong.

So I've been told. However it seems people are convinced on convincing me that its going to.break all the time no matter what :rolleyes:

So I've been told. However it seems people are convinced on convincing me that its going to.break all the time no matter what :rolleyes:

Its because all people hear are the bad stories. You never hear about peoples cars when theyre running right, people bi*** when things are bad with them. Ive DD my spyder for the last 4 years.. Sure its broken a few times and parts have gone bad.. Most of that is my stupidity but some is just the part wore out..

I have been daily driving mine for two years and did not have any problems until the last two months. I bought the car off craigslist for cheap and it was modified. I would beat on the car often and drive it like any 17 year old kid would. I too heard and saw my friends with dsms having problems but my car would just keep going. Then things started to break but none of them were the cars fault. The things that went wrong were due to the previous owner or my own fault. I would suggest as the others that have posted to find a clean close to stock car.

I believe my car is reliable. It was in a front end collision. So that doesn't exactly help with the reliability of things in the front you would think.

However. 20,000+ km and I've had to replace my coilpack (used junkyard parts), and clutch slave cylinder (had a minor leak, lost pressure, again used a junkyard part to fix).
Other than that. Turbo gasket, but that was my fault for not using brand new oem parts the first time I put it together!

I daily drove my 1995 TSI with BPU mods for three years never had a problem The only thing i did was the day i bought it i put all new belts, water pump, gaskets in it. Now if you mod the piss out of it and beat the crap out of it then yes like any car it will break.

Are these the kind of people that buy there performance parts from Ebay?

Some are just cynical and need something to argue about, others are just ignorant. I mean besides crankwalk what are the real common serious issues? Most things I read that break could be solved by proper maintence and proper tuning or not being a hack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back