The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM Club Puerto Rico

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flacopower

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2005
st mary's, Maryland
my friend (he has a rx7) and i are currently considering transferring to the university of puerto rico: mayaguez. i have a couple questions about car stuff down there.. such as emissions, how the licenses work (points or no points). any help would be appreciated

Are you going to study any branch of Engineering here in PR ?

As far as traffic and vehicle information goes:

The car must be inspected once a year in terms of emissions and general aspects of a car ( Functional headlights and such )

When you are stopped by a police officer you will be asked for your Driver's license, and vehicle registration. ( No proof of insurance ) And depending on the reason, points are to be taken off, but as I said, It depends on the situation. I've never received a ticket in which im getting points deduced.

Feel free to ask, I'll do some research to get you the correct information.

damn emissions once a year.. we don't even have emissions in maryland. that kinda sucks. yeah i am originally from bayamon, but going to mayaguez because my best friend wants to study industrial engineering. i am personally studying accounting. so it works out pretty good. $50 a credit hours for one of the top 10 engineering schools in the nation. can't beat that!! so if i have 5 points on my maryland license, and get a puerto rican one will i still have 5 points? is insurance a lot down there? how likely is my car to get stolen because i remember that being a problem before..

flacopower said:
we don't even have emissions in maryland.

How do you figure? I have to get that done like every two years or something.

flacopower said:
damn emissions once a year.. we don't even have emissions in maryland. that kinda sucks. yeah i am originally from bayamon, but going to mayaguez because my best friend wants to study industrial engineering. i am personally studying accounting. so it works out pretty good. $50 a credit hours for one of the top 10 engineering schools in the nation. can't beat that!! so if i have 5 points on my maryland license, and get a puerto rican one will i still have 5 points? is insurance a lot down there? how likely is my car to get stolen because i remember that being a problem before..

Stolen ? Honestly, I have never heard about anyone having his eclipse stolen. Never. I would be worried if I had a honda. Those are being stolen a lot. But eclipses are not the target of thiefs.

I might be wrong with the emissions, but what I mean is that you have to get your car inspected once a year to check if the car is in optimal conditions to be used in public roads. Basically they look for funcional signal lights, license plate, and such, with the exhaust I think they measure the decibels and something else. I'll have to review that, but honestly I woudnt be worried for emissions. My insurance is about $500 a year.

Bayamon still has a problem with car stealing, in fact, most of the cars stolen are recovered in bayamon, but as I said, they're only Hondas.

As far as the license goes, you have 3 months to get your puerto rican license, I think you will just have to take a quick written test and done. I'll get more information on this too.

import1 said:
How do you figure? I have to get that done like every two years or something.

maybe its just st mary's county then.. we don't have emissions. but i am glad about the eclipses not being stolen because my mom told me that having a convertible is going to make my car a big target

I love it here. It's not bad, I've lived in Rico for almost 4 years and have never had a problem.

AW4G63 said:
I love it here. It's not bad, I've lived in Rico for almost 4 years and have never had a problem.

yeah i was born there, and lived there when i was younger. i have LOTS of family there and the school is pretty good. i am excited at the possibility of moving down there! this has been like the best week ever!

Have you thought about the politechnical university too ? You might want to check it out. Its on Hato Rey and its much more expensive but i've heard its beating UPR in terms of Engineering courses.

is that school taught in english? i can speak spanish fluently but i can't really read it at a college level

As far as I know, text books and reference from the classes are in english, the professors however teach the class in spanish.

hmm.. i don't know. its going to be a very interesting experience LOL

Hey Ya'll,

Just found out i am PCSing to San Juan, Just wanted to introduce myself and find out things like emission laws etc etc
Are the cops strict down there?
lot of DSMers in that area?

If you'll just be around San Juan, my main recommendation is to be careful for thiefs. There is alot of criminality in that area.

There are alot of 2Gs around here, not many 1Gs, but most of them do not even know what DSM means. [At least the ones I know of]

In that area, alot of people street race. Cops try to be strict, but our goverment is a bit corrupted. Many cops building false cases, taking advantage of people, etc.

I do not mean to scare you, its a great island.

Emission laws only harm you when you go to get your car inspected. If it fails to pass the inspection, you give the inspector 20 dollars, and you miraculously pass it. ;)

You have to get your car inspected once a year.

Have fun!

Hey, I'm from Aguadilla, PR. I was wondering if there are any DSMers out there from Puerto Rico. If so, where are you guys from, what dsms do you own, etc. I'm currently studying computer engineering at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. Do you guys know of any DSM Club down here in Puerto Rico?

Greetings from Arecibo, PR

Polytechnic University dando catedra ....jeje

97 GSX

Saludos Mi gente!!!

D carolina para el mundo con mi eclipse 99 motor 420a, y buscando mecanico y hojalatero para darle cariño.

Desde Caguas y estudiando en Guaynabo con un GST 96 automatico mi gente!!

desde Guaynabo Puerto Rico... tengo un Eclipse GST 96 violeta metalico, transmicion manual blowoff HKS y filtro, lo demas esta de fabrica, pal carro solo lo mejor... aceite Mobil1 y todo los cuidado del mundo, duerme bajo techo...

compre el carro a mi tio q lo tenia de salir los domingo nama lo compre con todo los libro de mantenimiento so se q sele a echo y todo piesas originales. la verdad estoy conociendo ahora el carro, antes tenia otro pero pos por hacer un pare el camion q estaba atras peso q no lo aria so paro con migo me empujo y un carro me dio mi y al camion quedando mi carro perdida total...

entre para conocer mas de este carro ya q se q ustede tienen tiempo con eclipse so me pueden ayudar a conocerlo.... gracias y hablamo luego...!

Hola me llamo Gabriel de Guaynabo Puerto Rico... tengo un Eclipse GST 96 violeta metalico, transmicion manual blowoff HKS y filtro, lo demas esta de fabrica... en cuanto a mantenimiento pal carro solo lo mejor... aceite Mobil1 y todo los cuidado del mundo, piesas originales y duerme bajo techo...

compre el carro a mi primo q lo tenia de salir los domingo nama lo compre con todo los libro de mantenimiento so se q sele a echo y todo piesas originales la esposa salien embarasada por segunda ves y vienen gemelos so compro una guagua. la verdad estoy conociendo ahora el carro, antes tenia otro y no era turbo, pero pos por hacer un pare un camion q estaba atras penso q no lo aria so paro con migo me empujo y un carro me dio mi y al camion quedando mi carro perdida total...

entre para conocer mas de este carro ya q se q ustede tienen tiempo con eclipse so me pueden ayudar a conocerlo.... gracias y hablamo luego...!

cualquier cosa estoy en messenger o por aqui mismo o por email.

No hobble spaniels here. English.

79927d1202295008-having-trouble-installing-t-belt-359_inglesh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back