1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

DSM Club Puerto Rico

Posted by flacopower, Mar 14, 2006

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    my friend (he has a rx7) and i are currently considering transferring to the university of puerto rico: mayaguez. i have a couple questions about car stuff down there.. such as emissions, how the licenses work (points or no points). any help would be appreciated

2. uni_gst

uni_gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    Puerto Rico, Central America
    Are you going to study any branch of Engineering here in PR ?

As far as traffic and vehicle information goes:

The car must be inspected once a year in terms of emissions and general aspects of a car ( Functional headlights and such )

When you are stopped by a police officer you will be asked for your Driver's license, and vehicle registration. ( No proof of insurance ) And depending on the reason, points are to be taken off, but as I said, It depends on the situation. I've never received a ticket in which im getting points deduced.

Feel free to ask, I'll do some research to get you the correct information.

267  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    damn emissions once a year.. we don't even have emissions in maryland. that kinda sucks. yeah i am originally from bayamon, but going to mayaguez because my best friend wants to study industrial engineering. i am personally studying accounting. so it works out pretty good. $50 a credit hours for one of the top 10 engineering schools in the nation. can't beat that!! so if i have 5 points on my maryland license, and get a puerto rican one will i still have 5 points? is insurance a lot down there? how likely is my car to get stolen because i remember that being a problem before..

4. import1

import1 Proven Member

Joined Nov 24, 2005
    frederick, Maryland

How do you figure? I have to get that done like every two years or something.

5. uni_gst

uni_gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2004

Stolen ? Honestly, I have never heard about anyone having his eclipse stolen. Never. I would be worried if I had a honda. Those are being stolen a lot. But eclipses are not the target of thiefs.

I might be wrong with the emissions, but what I mean is that you have to get your car inspected once a year to check if the car is in optimal conditions to be used in public roads. Basically they look for funcional signal lights, license plate, and such, with the exhaust I think they measure the decibels and something else. I'll have to review that, but honestly I woudnt be worried for emissions. My insurance is about $500 a year.

Bayamon still has a problem with car stealing, in fact, most of the cars stolen are recovered in bayamon, but as I said, they're only Hondas.

As far as the license goes, you have 3 months to get your puerto rican license, I think you will just have to take a quick written test and done. I'll get more information on this too.

267  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    maybe its just st mary's county then.. we don't have emissions. but i am glad about the eclipses not being stolen because my mom told me that having a convertible is going to make my car a big target

7. AW4G63

AW4G63 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    TommyPantsdownville, Ohio
    I love it here. It's not bad, I've lived in Rico for almost 4 years and have never had a problem.

8. import1

import1 Proven Member

Joined Nov 24, 2005
    frederick, Maryland
    that could be it

9. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    yeah i was born there, and lived there when i was younger. i have LOTS of family there and the school is pretty good. i am excited at the possibility of moving down there! this has been like the best week ever!

10. uni_gst

uni_gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    Have you thought about the politechnical university too ? You might want to check it out. Its on Hato Rey and its much more expensive but i've heard its beating UPR in terms of Engineering courses.

267  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    is that school taught in english? i can speak spanish fluently but i can't really read it at a college level

12. uni_gst

uni_gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    As far as I know, text books and reference from the classes are in english, the professors however teach the class in spanish.

267  0

manual · 2G DSM
  13. flacopower

flacopower Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2005
    st mary's, Maryland
    hmm.. i don't know. its going to be a very interesting experience LOL

14. uni_gst

uni_gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2004

267  0

manual · 2G DSM
  15. razey

razey Probationary Member

Joined Oct 18, 2007
    San Juan, Central America
    Hey Ya'll,

Just found out i am PCSing to San Juan, Just wanted to introduce myself and find out things like emission laws etc etc
    Are the cops strict down there?
    lot of DSMers in that area?

278  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  16. Oblivion02

Oblivion02 Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2008
    Aguadilla, Florida
    If you'll just be around San Juan, my main recommendation is to be careful for thiefs. There is alot of criminality in that area.

There are alot of 2Gs around here, not many 1Gs, but most of them do not even know what DSM means. [At least the ones I know of]

In that area, alot of people street race. Cops try to be strict, but our goverment is a bit corrupted. Many cops building false cases, taking advantage of people, etc.

I do not mean to scare you, its a great island.

Emission laws only harm you when you go to get your car inspected. If it fails to pass the inspection, you give the inspector 20 dollars, and you miraculously pass it. ;)

You have to get your car inspected once a year.

Have fun!

17. Oblivion02

Oblivion02 Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2008
    Aguadilla, Florida
    Hey, I'm from Aguadilla, PR. I was wondering if there are any DSMers out there from Puerto Rico. If so, where are you guys from, what dsms do you own, etc. I'm currently studying computer engineering at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. Do you guys know of any DSM Club down here in Puerto Rico?

18. JeanDSM

JeanDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2004
    Yabucoa, Puerto, Puerto Rico
    Yo soy de Yabucoa Tengo un eclipse gst del 97 estudio ingenieria mechanica en la universidad del turabo

316  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. PRgsx

PRgsx Probationary Member

Joined Oct 31, 2007
    Arecibo, Central America
    Greetings from Arecibo, PR

Polytechnic University dando catedra ....jeje

97 GSX

Saludos Mi gente!!!

20. rockitcold

rockitcold Probationary Member

Joined Mar 13, 2008
    carolina, California
    D carolina para el mundo con mi eclipse 99 motor 420a, y buscando mecanico y hojalatero para darle cariño.

21. pote

pote Probationary Member

Joined Oct 16, 2006
    Caguas, Puerto Rico, Central America
    Desde Caguas y estudiando en Guaynabo con un GST 96 automatico mi gente!!

22. JeanDSM

JeanDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2004
    Yabucoa, Puerto, Puerto Rico
    oiganme vamos a formar algo chevre......

316  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  23. gabriel21e

gabriel21e Guest

desde Guaynabo Puerto Rico... tengo un Eclipse GST 96 violeta metalico, transmicion manual blowoff HKS y filtro, lo demas esta de fabrica, pal carro solo lo mejor... aceite Mobil1 y todo los cuidado del mundo, duerme bajo techo...

compre el carro a mi tio q lo tenia de salir los domingo nama lo compre con todo los libro de mantenimiento so se q sele a echo y todo piesas originales. la verdad estoy conociendo ahora el carro, antes tenia otro pero pos por hacer un pare el camion q estaba atras peso q no lo aria so paro con migo me empujo y un carro me dio mi y al camion quedando mi carro perdida total...

entre para conocer mas de este carro ya q se q ustede tienen tiempo con eclipse so me pueden ayudar a conocerlo.... gracias y hablamo luego...!

24. gabriel21e

gabriel21e Guest

Hola me llamo Gabriel de Guaynabo Puerto Rico... tengo un Eclipse GST 96 violeta metalico, transmicion manual blowoff HKS y filtro, lo demas esta de fabrica... en cuanto a mantenimiento pal carro solo lo mejor... aceite Mobil1 y todo los cuidado del mundo, piesas originales y duerme bajo techo...

compre el carro a mi primo q lo tenia de salir los domingo nama lo compre con todo los libro de mantenimiento so se q sele a echo y todo piesas originales la esposa salien embarasada por segunda ves y vienen gemelos so compro una guagua. la verdad estoy conociendo ahora el carro, antes tenia otro y no era turbo, pero pos por hacer un pare un camion q estaba atras penso q no lo aria so paro con migo me empujo y un carro me dio mi y al camion quedando mi carro perdida total...

entre para conocer mas de este carro ya q se q ustede tienen tiempo con eclipse so me pueden ayudar a conocerlo.... gracias y hablamo luego...!

cualquier cosa estoy en messenger o por aqui mismo o por email.

25. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    No hobble spaniels here. English.

[​IMG]

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM