The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM 4G63T Shortblock in EVO?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockey1013

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have searched and couldn't find anything via Google. Is the 4G63 in an Evo the same as in a DSM? The reason why I ask, I know someone with an EVO 9 MR that his timing belt broke/oil pump gear shattered and he is trying to sell it to me for 10k. I started to wonder if my short block (1g 7-bolt/Evo 1-3 7 bolt) would accept the head and mount into the Evo engine bay. I know that the MIVEC head requires different oil passages I think. Thanks

It won't fit at all. Engine isn't even the same orientation?

I understand thy te orientation of the engine is not the same. But let's say I took out a dsm short block. Turned it 180 degrees. Lowered it into a bare Evo engine bay. It wouldn't bolt up to the chassis with evo mounting brackets? Would the trans bolt up?

I understand thy te orientation of the engine is not the same. But let's say I took out a dsm short block. Turned it 180 degrees. Lowered it into a bare Evo engine bay. It wouldn't bolt up to the chassis with evo mounting brackets? Would the trans bolt up?

The bellhousing is slightly different. The 2 upper holes will bolt up, but the 2 lower are slightly different. You would be way better off to just rebuild the engine that is in the car.

There are people (even a damn good thread about it recently here) who have made evo 4-9 heads work on our cars so, realistically there are very few excuses other than small minor issues that the engines won't swap in. I think its mainly the bellhousing bolts and the mounts IIRC. This IS possible people... :barf::rolleyes:

But... I'm :cool:

There are people (even a damn good thread about it recently here) who have made evo 4-9 heads work on our cars so, realistically there are very few excuses other than small minor issues that the engines won't swap in. I think its mainly the bellhousing bolts and the mounts IIRC. This IS possible people... :barf::rolleyes:

But... I'm :cool:

Interesting. I would think its wouldn't be so difficult because they are basically the same 4g63. I think the head (evo9 head) has to be machined a bit. ie. drills water jackets bigger etc etc. As for the transmission I have no idea. Hmmm I know that with the 1g 7 bolt I have, it doesn't have a spot for the 2g trans to bolt up on 1 area already. I think this would need some time, trial and error.

You are wasting your time thinking about it, you have a perfectly good engine in the car to work with. The engine is likely still in good condition with just a head rebuild and new oil pump gear.

Here is the difference in bellhousing mount holes.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I would think its wouldn't be so difficult because they are basically the same 4g63. I think the head (evo9 head) has to be machined a bit. ie. drills water jackets bigger etc etc. As for the transmission I have no idea. Hmmm I know that with the 1g 7 bolt I have, it doesn't have a spot for the 2g trans to bolt up on 1 area already. I think this would need some time, trial and error.

I know for a fact that you have to either use the right HG, or just weld some of the extra coolant passages shut in the evo head on a DSM block. I wish i could find that thread i was talking about...
FOUND DIT!!!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/438764-diy-4g63dsm-4g63evo7-hybrid.html

You are wasting your time thinking about it, you have a perfectly good engine in the car to work with. The engine is likely still in good condition with just a head rebuild and new oil pump gear.

Here is the difference in bellhousing mount holes.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Damn well thanks for the good picture. Everything makes so much more sense with pictures!!

I know for a fact that you have to either use the right HG, or just weld some of the extra coolant passages shut in the evo head on a DSM block. I wish i could find that thread i was talking about...
FOUND DIT!!!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/438764-diy-4g63dsm-4g63evo7-hybrid.html

Yeah That's how I knew something had to be done with the head. I found that thread earlier. Good write up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back