The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had my trans go bad so got one from IPT with his converter. Pulled motor to fix an oil leak that i found was from the front case(friend helped assemble when I was immobilized from bicep surgery).

Now we are pulling out the stops and doing the front mount and trans cooler so Ill be set to go with a mostly new motor and new trans!

Attachments

• 20191108_121013.jpg
    20191108_121013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 20191109_125556.jpg
    20191109_125556.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191109_125631.jpg
    20191109_125631.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 124
I like your trans cooler. Nice and big. Do you run a fan?
What FMIC is that and where did you get the upper bumper mount plate? I had to cut out the back of my crashbeam.
Looking good! :thumb:
This is what I am using on my car for cooling the trans. Twin Hayden 1403s and no fan.
Screenshot_20191110-090510_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191110-090445_Gallery.jpg

You can get the bumper support through JM fab. Its a nice piece. Intercooler was some off name i had laying around but not too worried with just the 16g. Plenty of room to go bigger!

The trans cooler is a b&m.. i forget the model number. Plenty of room for a pusher fan if i need more cooling.

This should be a fun daily here soon. Its got poly mounts and solid driveshaft bushings so it rumbles at idle.

Loving the progress - for us both!! :thumb:

Feeling defeated a coiple of heat cycles to break her in after never hitting boost and I find this.

1000008578.jpg

Never hit boost and only put heat cycles in it so I doubt its toast but dont have a clue how this could have happened. Assume headgasket didnt seat right

Unless somehow my e85 made it like this.. it doesnt smell overly fuel like though. Ive always run synthetic until this break in oil

Looks like it comes out again

Last edited:
Assuming this is a fresh motor? With e85 I have seen this plenty of time. I try to never let a built motor just idle but that's me. Needs to see enough decel drives to start seating the piston rings. What afr's did you see on idle? E85 could be getting past the rings. I personally would do a pressure test on the cooling system to get your worries away from a potential blown head gasket issue on a fresh build. This way your not yanking a motor out for no reason. Or do a leak down test on each cylinder if you don't have a coolant pressure tester. Keep us updated.

Yes it was fresh. Afrs seemed normal 13 to 15 bouncing around

I may be prematurely panicking. Had the wife smell the oil and she said it smells like paint thinner.

Im going to put conventional 20n50 in and drive it now that its been heat cycled.

Hope thats all it is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back