The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

DS motorsports oil cooler not fitting????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnhieu

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
panama city, Florida
okay i feel like a jack ass. i ordered a oil cooler kit from diamondstar motorsport and before i put my motor in i decided that i would get a good idea where im gonna put it. so i take my bumper off and start to look around and i realize that their is no where to mount this damn thing. has anyone else had this problem before? has anyone every installed one of their oil cooler kits? installing this thing is like installing another supra side mount. its a huge pain in the ass.

thanks tuners

I bought the same kit for my 2g and I had a hell of a time fitting it in there. I actually had to grind down part of the bumper light and the lip on the bumper that holds the light, then use a 90º fitting on the top of the cooler. My car has ABS which makes it a whole hell of alot tighter in there.

i was considering buying one of their oil cooler kits too, and after installing my fmic a couple of days ago i realized how tight it was in there. if anyone could give some insight as to where they mounted theirs on their 1g. any pics would be awesome, i think this would help us all out a lot. thanks

i made my own kit with a SETRAB core. mounted it on the dirvers side. had to problems at all. fabricated my own brackets and it practically bolted right on.

OneGeeAWD said:
i was considering buying one of their oil cooler kits too, and after installing my fmic a couple of days ago i realized how tight it was in there. if anyone could give some insight as to where they mounted theirs on their 1g. any pics would be awesome, i think this would help us all out a lot. thanks

well it took me all damn day yesterday to get this thing so i can just bolt it on when i go to my 90's oil filter housing with my rebuild. i had to cut away about a inch of the bumper support (dejontool bumper support) and hack away some of the bracket on the oil cooler to get it to work. i then took the piece that i cut off of the bumper support and made a little bracket for it to hold on where the fog lights once were. here is a pic of what the oil cooler looked like all hacked up and ready to be put on.

EDIT: this was all done for a 1ga i dont know if their would be much of a diffrence between the two

Attachments

• oil_cooler2.JPG
    oil_cooler2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 295
  • oil_cooler_1.JPG
    oil_cooler_1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 285
i havnt gotten a 'kit' from anywhere but this is still fairly simple, heres some pictures that may help. there is no set way to do it just go with common sense and your own judgement on how to fit it and how to fabricate a way to mount it

thoes brackets look good what did you use? it looks alot easier to mount on a 2g then a 1g. also did you use teflon tape with all your fittings?

home depot has that stuff in stock get some cut and bend it. I bent it to go up to existing threaded holes in the car and ran bolts through it. Your car im not sure how it will filt. pretty much need thet bumper off to get it in though

i dont think the kit i bought really should be called a kit because it doenst directly bolt on. alot of modifling and thinking is needed to get it to fit. i still dotn know if the location of mine will be fine for a fmic. i guess i will find out when i get one

dnhieu said:
i dont think the kit i bought really should be called a kit because it doenst directly bolt on. alot of modifling and thinking is needed to get it to fit. i still dotn know if the location of mine will be fine for a fmic. i guess i will find out when i get one

I wasn't aware they advertised it as an "easy, any idiot can do it" kit. You have answered your own complaint.. it's a KIT. It contains the parts to have an external oil cooler, the brackets are up to you. If you don't want to work, then either don't do it or pay someone to do it for you. As far as "thinking", words escape me.

I did something similar to alexg1323 for my powersteering cooler when I installed a FMIC. I used the same Al strips from Home Depot. I do plan on adding an oil cooler too. I have to think long and hard about it though. ROFL

Omega said:
I wasn't aware they advertised it as an "easy, any idiot can do it" kit. You have answered your own complaint.. it's a KIT. It contains the parts to have an external oil cooler, the brackets are up to you. If you don't want to work, then either don't do it or pay someone to do it for you. As far as "thinking", words escape me.

I did something similar to alexg1323 for my powersteering cooler when I installed a FMIC. I used the same Al strips from Home Depot. I do plan on adding an oil cooler too. I have to think long and hard about it though. ROFL

WOW what the hell are you shooting bullets for? most people sell fmic kits and what do you expect. yeah, something that bolts right on with minimal work done.

any iddiot run their mouth, not all iddiots will know how to put this "kit" on. good luck installing yours :thumb:

I have the DSM kit on my 1G and it wasn't all that bad. I notched the top like in a pic above so I could get the cooler up as high as I could and the notch is what clears the bumper support/5mph crash pistons. Used plunbers metal strip with holes every 1/2" or so and found holes to bolt it to. Works great. higher oil pressure and cooler running motor. Mark

It's frustrating when people expect things to be spoon fed to them and installs magically happen on their car. It's nice to have a product that bolts up with no problems, but you can't get everything perfect all the time. To complain that you have to think, that is just ridiculous. Upgrades are all about ingenuity. Creating new, better methods. If you don't know which end of a screwdriver to use, don't bother, but don't bi*** that you can't do it and make the masses change for your inabilities... learn.

What does this have to do with FMIC kits?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back