The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dry Ice Chamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2003
MissouriUS
Dry Ice Chamber
My friend has two DSM. 91 and 92 TSi AWD. One he always is moding the 91 with his own hacked up ideas. Recently he built a chamber around his stock IC. He had to mount the IC differently and cut out the finder wall a bit. But anyway the chamber around the IC is multilayerd in the inside with Foam and something else I cant remember. But the top snaps off and you fill it up with dry ice. The IC get Very Cold. Didnt have anything to get an exact temp measurement but the HP gain was outstanding. He been talking about this idea for months before he did I thought he was nutts. He did say he spent weeks perfecting the chamber. Lots of time with the torch and stainless steel.

After 3 hours of driving IC was back to normal temp.(chamber empty)
You could feel the Hp lower as the IC got warmer.

Not sure if dry ice leaves any deposits behind after it evaporates but it would be B**** to take apart and clean out.

Good old Walmart sells dry ice in my town.

No deposits from CO2 (they use it as crystals to sandlblast things in the aerospace industry).
Does he still have airflow through it when there's no ice?

I too thought of doing that very same thing. But I was concerned about putting dry ice into a sealed chamber. I thought the expansion of gases from the evaporation would casue the chamber to explode. I really have no clue if this would happen but that is what stopped me from doing this.
Also, is there any kind of smoke trail from the CO2 or anything as it evaporates? I don't think the track would like that very much, having a car plum out smoke as it goes dwon the track? clear this up for me if you can.

Originally posted by ILOSE
I too thought of doing that very same thing. But I was concerned about putting dry ice into a sealed chamber. I thought the expansion of gases from the evaporation would casue the chamber to explode. I really have no clue if this would happen but that is what stopped me from doing this.
Also, is there any kind of smoke trail from the CO2 or anything as it evaporates? I don't think the track would like that very much, having a car plum out smoke as it goes dwon the track? clear this up for me if you can.

This is a very good point.

The lid is designed to fit air tight. But there is a hinged door(1/2in x 3in) with a 1/8 drilled hole(safety precation) to let the gas escape. As the pressure build the trap door will open.

If the door got stuck or blocked would make a mess for sure. Put some dry ice in a soda bottle and see what happens.

I was going to post something I observed last night but you got a head of me:

Last night we filled the chamber. While driving the fans and the wind disapate all the gas from the engine. A friend following us didnt see anything but when we pulled into the gas station and hung out a bit it started to look like a fog machine was in the engine. (not that bad)

He might be able to but a hose that would suck any gas out and devert it to the exhaust. Shouldnt be that hard.

thanks for the thoughts (ILOSE). They were very important ones!

Picked up the digital camera tonight. As soon as I can help James(my friend) we will take it off and get some close up pics as well as some after the installation.
I am trying to get him to draw up some blue print to post.
I also want him to add a temp. gauge and pressure gauge incase the hinged door where to freeze shut. That would really suck.

I think it would be cool if you kept the air tight chamber, and had a relief valve with a hose running to a chamber(made of sheet metal) that was made around the straight section of UICP. That way when the pressure builds up (because its getting hotter) the CO2 exits the relief valve, goes through the hose into the UICP chamber, and cools your UICP before its expelled from the engine bay. Also, i would make the front and back of the chamber removable for daily driving, so youre not buying chunks of dry ice with every fill-up. Maybe its just me but it sounds like a cool idea and I dont think it would be too hard to make a chamber around the straight part of the UICP. :thumb:

Originally posted by P8ntBalla
I think it would be cool if you kept the air tight chamber, and had a relief valve with a hose running to a chamber(made of sheet metal) that was made around the straight section of UICP. That way when the pressure builds up (because its getting hotter) the CO2 exits the relief valve, goes through the hose into the UICP chamber, and cools your UICP before its expelled from the engine bay. Also, i would make the front and back of the chamber removable for daily driving, so youre not buying chunks of dry ice with every fill-up. Maybe its just me but it sounds like a cool idea and I dont think it would be too hard to make a chamber around the straight part of the UICP. :thumb:

Thats sounds like a really good Idea.

If your IC pipes are metal they also get cold just for touching the IC.

But the chamber around the pipes would really get chilled down. I will run it buy James to see what he thinks.

Any ideas on where to send the CO2 off to??? and how??

drag racers have been doning this for years but they put the chamber around there fuel lines(i think they use ice not sure) to keep the fule nice and cold belive it or not it will proudce more hp do't know were you can let the c02 off to though but what ever you do do not let it into your motor because c02 is NOT combustalble and that would be very bad. I would vent it some were away from the motor.

sounds like his intercooler gets no airflow during regular driving which is ####ing dumb.

I was wondering, and maybe the pics will answer this for me when they are up, but how does the air flow through the sealed chamber? To me its sounds like the chamber is restricting the airflow to the intercooler, and the IC is not cooling when the chamber is empty, which might be causing the noticeable drop in HP. Just some thoughts I'd like to get cleared up. Also, make sure that if he's using the stock side mount IC that the CO2 is venting somewhere that is NOT up b/c it seems to me that the intake could just suck that right up...

Originally posted by ted_the_mexican
I was wondering, and maybe the pics will answer this for me when they are up, but how does the air flow through the sealed chamber? To me its sounds like the chamber is restricting the airflow to the intercooler, and the IC is not cooling when the chamber is empty, which might be causing the noticeable drop in HP. Just some thoughts I'd like to get cleared up. Also, make sure that if he's using the stock side mount IC that the CO2 is venting somewhere that is NOT up b/c it seems to me that the intake could just suck that right up...

I would say your right about the intake sucking up the CO2 (only when the car is stationary)

As for the IC:: when there is no Dry Ice to make it Cold, there is something to supply some moving air to the IC. The pictures will help show you that system. It resembels a reverse funnel.(all stainless, thanks dad) With a L shaped stainless steal door with a rubber gasket on it to make air tight. You unbolt it when your not using the Dry Ice and the bottom 4 inches get some moving Air.

Yes it does cut the power not having that cheap plastic factory funnel.

Just to clear this up. The Chamber is built around the IC. Brackets hold the chamber around the IC. The is about 1/2 to 1/4 of air space between the chamber and the IC fins.

We never designed this to be used as a everyday driven car. He has a 92 TSi for everyday use.

A very bad reason for using dry-ice is that it does not have nearly as high a specific heat as water. It will be able to get the IC cool, but as soon as the hot air comes through, bam it's hot again. The dry ice doesn't have as much cooling capacity or ability as water. It is very cold, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the ability to cool other things very well. Do this for an experiment why:

Get a small chunk of dry ice, put it on a spoon for 10 seconds. Then feel the spoon. Is it cold? (not very)

Okay, now get a chunk of regular ice, or very cold water, and put the spoon on that for 10 seconds, how cold is it? Much colder than with the dry ice, even though the water/ice is warmer than the dry ice is to begin with.

So.... Dry ice isn't going to help much at all, unfortunately.

I have also looked into using a peltier-junction based cooling setup (people use them in computers, to super-cool processors) but it would require an ungodly amount of energy to operate as well as a stock SMIC (something on the order of 100,000 amps or so, if I remember right).

-Jesse

Yeah i agree with Jesse here; its the same idea as those people that walk on coal. The coal doesn't transfer the energy very well. I would just use ice and water instead of the dry ice. Have you ever had dry ice in a bowl of punch. The punch really doesn't get as cold as it would with regular ice.

but i give you a :thumb: for ingenuity

Now I have an experiment too. Take the same spoon and spray liquid CO2 on it for 1 second, now I dare you to touch it.. Liquid CO2 changes phase at -75*F. Liquid CO2, when changing to gas will remove way more heat than water. Does a great job on a hot race day or dyno day. Plus of course you don't need to box in your intercooler, all you need to do is purge for a couple of seconds on your air to air IC. Instant freezing cold. :thumb:

Man...this sounds really sweet. Great idea! Especially useful for those hot sumer days, or long boost runs where you get hella heat soak.
Can you post a photo at all? That'd be great....

yea but I think the main point here is not to use Nitrous. Anyone can go buy a 50shot. I like the different ideas.

I have a couple of my own I'm workin on...

:thumb: To: 1 fast POS,
Congratulations! One of you guys has used common sense in his
approach to the use of CO2. Using a liquid siphon CO2 bottle will allow
you to spray the intercooler with liquid CO2. A 20oz. paint ball bottle
will last for 12 secs. with the main valve completely opened. Usually
the bottle need only be opened 1/2 way to accomplish a complete
cool down, so you will have about 24 secs. of liquid to spray.
The reason that CO2 does not cool water very effectively is that the
water is so much warmer than the CO2 that is causes the Solid CO2 to
effect a two state change (go directly from a solid to gas, without being
in the liquid state), thus there is a gas barrier around the solid
preventing the water from coming in direct contact with the dry ice.
You want to make something really cold? Surround the intercooler
with dry ice immersed in etylene glycol. Ethylene glycol adsorbs heat
10 times faster than it absorbs heat. In other words, it gets very cold
very quickly and because it is a liquid it has 8-10 times the heat
transferrence of air.
For those others concerned with a persons age, and therefore their
experience, I'm 61 years old, and have been building engines and
racing since 1957. 40 years ago I was using CO2 with etylene glycol in
my big block Mopar's fuel cool can.

all i have to say after reading this post is that you guys are my new heroes....even if the idea has been around in different forms for a while...just the fact that you thought it up on your own shows that you've got some smarts in the mechanical area, kudos to you guys

Nate

has anyone realized that u could just cuy a liquid to air IC and run it inline with ur regular IC? they arent that much, my friend found one made to mount to the stock location on his turbo 2 rx7 for a little over $100, although it can be mounted anywhere on any car if u can find a place to fit it, they are made to put regular ice in when drag racing but u could easily modify them with a relief valve of some kind to allow the use of dry ice of they dont already have it, then if the chamber was empty the air to air IC would still function fine and if u put dry ice in it would lower the intake air temp without affecting the air to air IC performance

Running two intercoolers in series is a sweet idea, if you're aiming for high pressure drop and low performance.

....Kyle T.

What about using a air/water IC and CO2 to cool the water? Any thoughts on that?

YEP. Done that. We simply insert a long coil of aluminum tube into the water resovoir. Then the system works the same. Simply manual purge for a few seconds to drastically lower water temps, or use the boost sensative system to automatically purge at a set boost level. The CO2 will change phase while traveling through the aluminum coil, freezing it over, then the CO2 vents externally. Since CO2 has a HUGE expansion rate, you don't want to actually purge inside the res. The aluminum coil will get VERY cold, and drastically change the water temp.
It is a run off of the Drop Zone kit for air to air. Same components, just changing up the spraybar system. Sure beats carrying ice around in a cooler, dumping extra water from the system, then adding more ice in between runs.
Only thing is that water to air are not very common intercooling systems. They have greater cooling potential when done right, but cost and all the extra stuff you need still keep it unpopular.

I have been hooked on air/water systems for years because they make the most sense to me. The ability to cool the water in a hurry outside the regular heat exchanger would be priceless IMO. I know the price and complexity of the system are drawbacks for most, but I believe if you want to go faster you do what needs to be done, especially when most everyone else doesn't want to go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back