The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Drum Brake To Disc Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Amodeo

Probationary Member
Aug 13, 2020
Elizabeth, New_Jersey
So. I have a 98 Eclipse and I am replacing the rear drum brakes with discs. Since this is my first time experiencing anything like this, i dont really have an idea of what to do. i have taken out the dust shield and entire drum on one side but im not sure where to go from here. Im pretty sure i need to get new e brake cables for the discs. So if someone can help me with that and maybe give a bit of an idea of how to do this. There is also the question of where the caliper mounts.

Thanks,

I actually saw those pictures. It was just sorta confusing. Like which backing plates are those? How do I get them? And it almost seems like he keeps the drum shoes in there. I also think I don't have a part of my caliper. Like the spring thing on the back. I don't have that. Don't even know what it's called

Like which backing plates are those? How do I get them? And it almost seems like he keeps the drum shoes in there. I also think I don't have a part of my caliper. Like the spring thing on the back.

2G's with disc brakes have a parking (emergency) drum brake inside the rear rotor. The backing plates are part of the swap, you'll need to source them since the parking brake shoes attach to them.

2G's with disc brakes have a parking (emergency) drum brake inside the rear rotor. The backing plates are part of the swap, you'll need to source them since the parking brake shoes attach to them.
Ohhh. Ok. That clears things up quite a bit actually. I hate to keep asking questions but any ideas where I could source those LOL? And I'm guessing the calipers will also mount to that backing plate? So the backing plate is pretty much the key

The calipers mount using special unique "guide and lock pins" so they can float. The pins mount to a "caliper support" piece (to hold the pads) which is bolted through the backing plate from the rear. Here's what a new LR backing plate looks like on my 99 GST.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
The calipers mount using special unique "guide and lock pins" so they can float. The pins mount to a "caliper support" piece (to hold the pads) which is bolted through the backing plate from the rear. Here's what a new LR backing plate looks like on my 99 GST.

Sorry for the late response but is there anywhere i can find these? i found one on ebay but it was only the one side. I found some on autozone but it said it doesnt fit a gst

Like it said it's been a very long time since I did my swap but if memory serves me right the GST and GSX brake were different than my GS spyder, both front and rear(not sure if 420a gs had different options). My gs came single piston front and drum rear and the gst swap I did was dual piston front and single piston rear disc.

@sirnot like I said before, I am unfamiliar with 420a models and the options they came with, but out of curiosity why would the gs disc be a better option then the gst?
Cuz GST is more worth than GS and you are more likely be able to get GS body with brakes for the same price as just gst brakes

The rear disc brakes on a GS and a GST are identical... only the front varied.

I personally think the easiest option would be to buy the entire spindle. Just swap your spindle out with that one and be done with it.
I know they're identical, but get body is in general more worth than gst, that was my point

you can source the parts off a 3g with the v6, i know 2000-2002 uses the same rear knuckle, rear hub assembly and rear brake setup as a 2g. I'm not sure if the 2003-2005 does also. The 2001-2002 two door dodge stratus with the mitsubishi v6 also has the correct parts.

i was pulling parts off a 2002 today so here is a few pics if anyone cares.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back