The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 1G Driveshaft rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowboost13

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2011
gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
Hey guys I have a quick question if I rebuild my driveshaft at home do I need to get it rebalanced if I mark all of the parts?

Solution
It looks like from reading just mark all the places and make sure you replace the hardware. This may help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
What do you mean rebuild? Are you just talking about replacing u joints? This will not require any balancing, that is only required if it is modified.

It looks like from reading just mark all the places and make sure you replace the hardware. This may help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Sometimes you get lucky, most of the time you don't. Get it balanced unless you don't care about vibration. Your shafts may be out of round also.

Sometimes you get lucky, most of the time you don't. Get it balanced unless you don't care about vibration. Your shafts may be out of round also.

I have been doing it for years without a re balance. There is no luck with automotive repairs, you either do it right or you don't. Most shafts aren't balanced whole anyway. The parts are balanced seperatly assembled. I'd love to see someone try and set up that style of constant velocity driveshaft with a carrier in some sort of balancing machine.

I'd love to see someone try and set up that style of constant velocity driveshaft with a carrier in some sort of balancing machine.
I've seen it done, but you're absolutely correct that it's very rare to balance the whole thing as a unit. Like you say, 99% of the time, each section is balanced separately.

I have been doing it for years without a re balance. There is no luck with automotive repairs, you either do it right or you don't. Most shafts aren't balanced whole anyway. The parts are balanced seperatly assembled. I'd love to see someone try and set up that style of constant velocity driveshaft with a carrier in some sort of balancing machine.

I've rebuilt tons of driveshafts from big trucks to small cars. There has been only a few that still had a good balance after swapping out u-joints. I'd say about 1 out of 20 driveshafts that I have rebuilt. Most of them needed to be re-balance. This is why you do it right and get it balanced. My shop has 3 balancer with a good amount of fixtures. We've balanced a 3 piece driveshaft multiple times. Usually the driveshafts that comes in are either 1 piece or 2 piece. Which the 2 piece will be balanced together. We do balance 3 piece driveshaft separately depending on length. Like the Sprinter vans. Front shaft is balanced out by itself and the middle and rear are balanced together.

Im replacing every part like the u joints the yoke and the carrier bearings.

Check for dents on the tube. And whatever you do, don't ever clamp the tube.

I've rebuilt tons of driveshafts from big trucks to small cars. There has been only a few that still had a good balance after swapping out u-joints. I'd say about 1 out of 20 driveshafts that I have rebuilt. Most of them needed to be re-balance. This is why you do it right and get it balanced. My shop has 3 balancer with a good amount of fixtures. We've balanced a 3 piece driveshaft multiple times. Usually the driveshafts that comes in are either 1 piece or 2 piece. Which the 2 piece will be balanced together. We do balance 3 piece driveshaft separately depending on length. Like the Sprinter vans. Front shaft is balanced out by itself and the middle and rear are balanced together.

Check for dents on the tube. And whatever you do, don't ever clamp the tube.

Cool story bro, I will keep driving my cars, with out of balance drive shafts. I'd be willing to bet that the shaft was as out of balance before took it apart as afterwards.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back