The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Driver side axle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Jedrzejek

Proven Member
Apr 23, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
So I'm in the middle of my build putting my driver side axel on and that bearing that is in the middle of it and is supposed to bolt to the block. There are two holes but only one spot to bolt it to on the block. I'm so confused by this. I've changed my clutch before and never had this issue. Is there a difference in engine blocks when I had mine rebuilt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the A/C bracket in place, or the appropriate spacers if A/C has been deleted?

I'm assuming you have a 2g and therefore a 7 bolt? Generally all 1g/2g 4g63s will have both bolt provisions to my knowledge.

ThunderChild is right, all 4G63s have the two main bolt holes for the AC brackets, and the 1 extra for the carrier bearing. However, the second bolt hole for the bearing lies on the AC bracket itself, which is different for AWD and FWD, as well as 1995-1996, and 1997-1999.

Did you do an AC delete while in there and forgot to put the bracket on? Or was it always missing? Maybe you just forgot about it.

Personally I'm driving without the bracket and technically my halfshaft carrier bearing is only being held on by one of the two bolts. It's okay but not ideal, since that allows more flexing and more loads that go back to the inner coupling and wears out the axle seal.

I did delete the ac bracket and moved the alternator to be located back there. So I need to put on the AC bracket in order to bolt that down? Or should my alternate relocation kit have that on it?

You can put the bracket back on. You can get the appropriate spacer. When I swapped my Talon back to a 7-bolt and found that I had a 2gb AC bracket and a 2ga axle/carrier bearing, I just bought a ton of washers to space it out correctly. Certainly not my recommended solution, but it does work. At least with 2ga axles.

Can you fill out a profile for your car so we know what you're working with?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back