1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Driver’s Side Axle Change-out

Posted by Mech Addict, Nov 2, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    So all my front CV boots are completely torn in half. Highway vibrations and tight turn clicking are noticeable. Going to purchase new or rebuilt assemblies and change them out. I’ve read several posts on doing this, and read through the FSM and Haynes. Question: is there an easier way to remove the driver’s side T.J. Housing and put in the new one without removing the center shaft bearing housing? If that center shaft looks OK, why take it out? I’ve read that once you remove both center and left shafts together, they can be separated with some persuasion, and the new T.J. splined receiver can be coupled back w/o disassembling the boot (vs. how the FSM instructs, piece by piece with a press). Who’s got the magic tech on this?

Street Build 275  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Man I would unbolt the lower control arm from the ball joint, unbolt the strut and swing it out JUST ENUF to get the axle to get out of the front hub. Of course remove the nut and cotter pin first. Then a quick snap with a flat bar will snap the coupler off the jack shaft. Then its just R&R.
    Anyone else???

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

403  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

412  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 585  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    Mello likes this.
  3. Cherry

Cherry Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2019
    Hull, Georgia
    I replaced both seals this weekend. The only difference is that I removed the 2 nuts and bolts from the shock and swung the hub out. It takes a little bit of work to get it out of the hub this way, but its literally 2 bolts and 3 nuts and you get get them out. Other than that its just how 1991TSI said. It took me like 20-30 minutes with replacing the seals.

Oh, and put an oil pan under the trans where the axles go in because some gear oil might come out. Check the gear oil levels and add some if needed.

Street Build 255  3

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Murdertalon

Murdertalon Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2016
    East side, Washington
    I unbolted carrier bearing, pulled whole axel out put carrier in a vice and violently smashed axel with 4lb sledge. then replace the carrier bearing since it's apart.

199  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Boy I sure am thankful for my Harbor Freight press :thumb:

Street Build 3K  27