The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Drive Shaft Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseGSX13

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2002
Bellevue, Ohio
Heres whats up. I'm removing my engine, and taking my tranny out also, I heard this is the easiest way. All I have left is the drive shaft, and Im not sure how to go about doing it. I'v tried to SEARCH but no luck, looked in my Chiltons manual and its doesnt give me a clear idea about how to do it. Could someone give me some advise or tell me where I can find an online "how to".

Thanks

Drain the t-case. Then, unbolt it from the rear diff & then the carrier bearing from the body & remove the shaft from the t-case. Takes about 20 minutes.

Or you can just unbolt the transfercase from the tranny.

Yeah, removing the five transfer case bolts and then lowering the transfer case is by far the easiest way. The fluid stays in the case, the case stays connected to the driveshaft, no problem. Use a couple blocks of wood or something keep them from laying at extreme angles, though.

you can use wire to tie up the driveshaft to the bottom of the car as well.

Back from the dead. So as a general rule of thumb, is it easier to remove the t-case from the tranny, or unbolt it from the rear and then the 2 carrier bearings, and then pull it out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back