The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Drive shaft play?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW4G63

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2002
TommyPantsdownville, Ohio
Ok well I have had a problem for awhile now, I thought it was a cv till I got to the cv and noticed it was fine. Checked alot of the drivetrain and im still stumped. Me and dsmed checked over the whole car and only found one odd thing that could cause the noise im getting.

example-

1st gear I let out the clutch and I start to move. Above 10 mph i hear a click click click type noise. that speeds up with speed.

Push in clutch-gone. shift to 2nd let out clutch, click click click again still doing it with the speed of the car.

push in the clutch, gone. Shift to 3rd. GONE! No noise after 2nd gear.

The location is near impossable to locate because my car is so damn noisey. im clueless.

So a summary
1st \
} clicks while torque is at the wheels
2nd /

3rd gear the noise is gone

No noise change while turning

The drive shaft has a slight amount of play to it. You can move it forward and backward about 1/2 an inch. Is this normal?

Any insight helps! I drive 40 miles to work every day so I need to get this knocked out! :D

It moves more like a inch forward and backwards. All the d.s. supports are fine and not torn and everything is tight. He has had the x-fer case recall performed too. It isn't a loud click, it is more of a lower pitch. Stumped????

I was hopin you would pitch in your .02 cents.

Any one?
This forum never gets replys. Kinda dead.

no, I thought it was my CV boot flapping but nope.

Im thinking T O bearing but who knows.
I may just take it somewhere and have them tell me whats wrong then fix it.

Ya gotta love free estimates. LOL

Originally posted by AW4G63

not a T O bearing. It doesn't spin. What gets me is that nothing is leakin and there is no grease anywhere. The only other thing I am thinking is the x-fer case, it may hae been damaged before you had the recall done.:confused:

Originally posted by AW4G63

You didn't answer my question. What does 'no, I thought it was my CV boot flapping but nope.' mean?

Does it sound like cards in the spokes of a bicycle or not?

Sorry man, It doesnt really sound like a card in the spokes. More like a faint knocking. It has a deep tone to the noise. What was your idea, I'll still look into about anything you think it might be. Im stupped.

O and if I drop it down to 2nd at about 35-40 it thuds and the goes. Weird.

I dont think thats the noise. It does it from 1st and in to 2nd then it does that thump/pop noise in any gear when you get on the gas.

Would it still do that if it was the teeth? It is loudest in 2nd but the car is the quitest (overall car noise) in low second. Thanks dude for your help, do you still think thats the cause or got any other ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back