The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

drivability issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmebruce

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2003
Flushing, New_York
Hey,

I seem to be having a problem when the car shifts to 4th. With constant throttle, the car seems to shift into 4th, RPMs drop from about 2500 to 2000 and there's a huge loss of power at that point. If I keep the throttle at the same level, the car seems to not want to go any faster. I have to depress the accelerator a good deal more to get it to SLOWLY start moving up the RPM scale. If I keep the same throttle the car seems to sit at 2000 RPM or even seems to slow up.
This doesn't happen ALL the time, but often enough for me to post something =P

Some background information:
-i had the translab shift kit (black spring) and end clutches done a little over a month ago.
-GM MAFT blow-through setup, which I've been tuning and got pretty close to the proper settings.
-did the fuel pump rewire recently
-haven't checked for boost leaks, and i think there probably are some, but it would seem like a boost leak would affect power through the entire range.
-running with OD off, it seems to run fine. pretty good power in 3rd.

another question:
i plan on removing the cruise control soon. i don't like the way my current throttle feels right now. it's a bit 'tight' if you know what i mean. if i depress the accelerator a tiny bit, the car doesn't want to go. if i push it down enough to make it move, it moves forward too much and if i just want to move forward like 10 feet, it seems if i have to brake harder than i should need to. it just doesn't feel right compared to other cars i normally drive (2000 altima, 95 maxima). the acceleration and accelerator feel on those cars just seem much smoother. the degree which i depress the accelerator seems more in line with how much i should be expecting the car to move.
when i install the non-cruise cable, would it help to wind it slightly looser? would this lessen the sensitivity and make driving more pleasurable? =)

sorry if i'm babbling. thanks for listening!

your problem is probably the lockup in your coverter. it sounds like it is not disengaging. it could be the lockup selinoid. or the tcc valve in you vale body. it could be the converter it self.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back