The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Drag Week 2G DSM - 8 Second Street Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumping this back up. The car is running great, nestled in the garage and taken out for the occasional trip.

I'm contemplating getting a new turbo for the car for next year but not sure what to go with. I'd like something that can run mid/high 8's without really stressing. I like the Garrett G45 72mm but I'm open to other options.

Currently the only planned event for the car is Sick Week 2023. I'll likely register soon.

Sick Week 2023 is in the books and damn was it awesome!

8.76 average over 5 days and 800 miles reclaiming the record of quickest drag and drive 4 cylinder!

Winner of Sick Week Freaks

Winner of Quickest 4 Cylinder

New best ET of 8.713

New Best MPH of 160.61 mph

New best 60' of 1.273

Zero issues throughout the entire event!

Pictures and longer recap to follow!

Sick Week 2023 is in the books and damn was it awesome!

8.76 average over 5 days and 800 miles reclaiming the record of quickest drag and drive 4 cylinder!

Winner of Sick Week Freaks

Winner of Quickest 4 Cylinder

New best ET of 8.713

New Best MPH of 160.61 mph

New best 60' of 1.273

Zero issues throughout the entire event!

Pictures and longer recap to follow!

That’s freakin awesome. Hate that y’all got almost no coverage and when you did it was full of hater ass questions like “herp derp DSMs are unreliable how do you do it” but glad y’all did your thing.

Great job fellas.

That’s freakin awesome. Hate that y’all got almost no coverage and when you did it was full of hater ass questions like “herp derp DSMs are unreliable how do you do it” but glad y’all did your thing.

Great job fellas.

No complaints here, I was happy to get coverage. As of a few hours ago 1320Videos post on IG had more likes than any other sick week post they made so far. I believe there will be a few more features on the car coming out soon so stay tuned.

As for haters, they're always going to be there. DSM's do have a bad wrap for being unreliable which I think makes it so much cooler to accomplish this. The posts I have to laugh at are the ones who either say "any DSM with an auto can go 8's and drive this far" or "who cares, Boostin's car is faster."

No complaints here, I was happy to get coverage. As of a few hours ago 1320Videos post on IG had more likes than any other sick week post they made so far. I believe there will be a few more features on the car coming out soon so stay tuned.

As for haters, they're always going to be there. DSM's do have a bad wrap for being unreliable which I think makes it so much cooler to accomplish this. The posts I have to laugh at are the ones who either say "any DSM with an auto can go 8's and drive this far" or "who cares, Boostin's car is faster."
Absolutely fantastic job!! I was happy to see any coverage I could find with your car. What you have been able to do with your car is amazing!! Very few have actually accomplished what you have, with the results you have had. It is a true measure of how well you have built that car and how all the details add up.

I was happy to see you got coverage from 1320 YT as well. Saw you on day 4 and day 5 of their videos. Was happy Fred finally gave you and the dsm community some love that hater LOL. Congrats on all the success though, happy to see that you show the community that stuff like this can still be done with our cars!!!

Congrats! I enjoyed seeing the car on the Clap’d Out YT page too!

Congrats on Sick Week Tony! Currently in the process of getting my 1G ready for sub 10 sec 1/4 mile passes as well. I am curious what size of tire do you run?

I was happy to see you got coverage from 1320 YT as well. Saw you on day 4 and day 5 of their videos. Was happy Fred finally gave you and the dsm community some love that hater LOL. Congrats on all the success though, happy to see that you show the community that stuff like this can still be done with our cars!!!

LOL! Fred's awesome. I probably would have been on more days coverage but having so much success actually hurt me there! They ran slick tire quicker than 10.00 cars first on 3 of the 5 days because we were the smallest group so I was almost always one of the first cars to run every day. That usually meant the camera crews weren't really setup yet. Since the car did exactly what I asked of it first pass, I only made a second run on Day 1 an Day 5 so no one really even noticed me. Day 4 when Fred saw me he was shocked I was still there and shocked he hadn't seen me yet. :) 1320 loves the stuff you don't see often so I'm sure if they had seen me sooner they'd have covered it more.

The tires are a 26x8.5 hoosier I think. These tires have actually been 7.30 in the quarter on Aaron's car. After a small incident at WCF one year I brought them down to him to use and he was able to claim the Auto DSM record with them.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'll try to post more details and share some videos today or tomorrow. I'm going to post a story about why great parts and companies matter here in a few minutes. Keep the posts and questions coming!

Great parts and great companies matter!

Here's why:

Coming into Sick Week this year I changed my fuel system to save a little weight (more to follow in another post). Essentially I just put the car on straight E85 for racing. It's cold in the north east right now so after getting the whole fuel system together, I was able to do one partial, super sketchy pull on the street and nothing more. I basically wanted to see if fuel pressure held and whatnot, it did so that was good.

After reviewing the data log, I had hit right at 100% duty cycle on my injectors, which are FIC 650 primaries and FIC 2150 secondaries per my old dual fuel system. I'm not running 43 PSI base pressure to help the fuel pump out which is why I maxed them out.

Now onto why its so important to buy great parts from great companies. I have a set of FIC 1650's here for the dragster that were freshly cleaned and flowed. I grabbed those injectors right before loading up for the event, put them in, put the data match data directly into Haltech, started the car and drove it into the trailer to tow to Florida. The car started and ran perfectly for loading up but I was still slightly nervous about the AFR's under full boost.

Sunday after tech I decided to make one pass (hopefully) to check out that everything was working correctly and the AFR's were dead on with virtually zero O2 compensation. We set the fail safes pretty tight just in case but it didn't even get close to them. They continued to perform flawlessly the rest of the week.

Now, could you possibly get ebay injectors to run ok on the track? Maybe. Can you get them to idle like stock so you're comfortable making a 1000 mile drive in the car? Maybe but less likely. Could you swap them out with a different set of ebay injectors, plug in the data they don't provide you and have the car perform exactly the same as it did with the old injectors? I highly doubt it. Fuel Injector Clinics Data Match Technology data sheets get you properly matched injectors to make tuning easier and they get you the exact data on how that exact set of injectors performs. I'm confident now that I could swap any FIC injector into my car and have it repeat AFR like it just did, assuming they're large enough.

The second piece of that puzzle is an Engine Management System with true VE. Haltech is the main stand alone ECU to provide this (or Motec but not many of us run that). If your ECU runs on pulse width or some other table rather than VE, you're stuck scaling the whole table and hoping you got it right. With Haltech, you simply enter the data directly off the data match sheet from FIC and bam. Some other ECU's claim a VE method but they're not a true VE method and you don't enter injector data directly.

I'm just super stoked that we as a community have parts like this available to us now that make some things that used to be a pain so much easier. Huge thanks to FIC and Haltech.

Great work bud! Showing the world DSMs can compete at a high level and survive!

Cliff Notes: Build an 8 second AWD DSM that can be driven 1000 miles between tracks to race for 5 straight days.

The post that started it all in 2019...mission accomplished.

Hey Tony,,,,Funny to me,,,,I had been following this thread since 2019 and never realized who's it was until I posted this week LOL :D. Disconnect between internet and real world LOL

The post that started it all in 2019...mission accomplished.

Hey Tony,,,,Funny to me,,,,I had been following this thread since 2019 and never realized who's it was until I posted this week LOL :D. Disconnect between internet and real world LOL
That's awesome! Now you know my dumb screen name from 20 years ago. :)

I find it funny how many of these builds never come close to their goals. I see a lot of 8,9,10 second street car builds in the related posts whenever i come here, some are very old and almost none of them have any results. I wish it wouldn't have taken me 4 years to get to my goal but running out of time the first year and failing miserably, then covid canceling Drag Week 2020 set me up for this taking a while. You have to break a lot of stuff before you find the right combo!

Great work bud! Showing the world DSMs can compete at a high level and survivDSM powered MR2
That's awesome! Now you know my dumb screen name from 20 years ago. :)

I find it funny how many of these builds never come close to their goals. I see a lot of 8,9,10 second street car builds in the related posts whenever i come here, some are very old and almost none of them have any results. I wish it wouldn't have taken me 4 years to get to my goal but running out of time the first year and failing miserably, then covid canceling Drag Week 2020 set me up for this taking a while. You have to break a lot of stuff before you find the right combo!
Slow and steady build, wins the race!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back