The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Drag Radials 2007-2008 topic on rims/tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo Monk3y

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2002
Orlando, Florida
2g Fitment only
Ok I want a better 60 foot for the upcoming season. Street tires did not cut it with the 2.0L 35R setup and they def won't with my new 2.4L t67dbb setup.. I have a few options and I will list them. Anyone with experience please feel free to let your opinion out.. I noticed GaStroker is the only one here that has 255/50/16s on his 2g with some 16x8s +40. Anyone else ever try this? Btw his setup looks badass and does not stick out very far from the fenders. This is something that I want, I don't need to have my dsm look like a frogged out Mexican mobile...

1st off
My current wheels are 17X7 Konig Traffiks 15.1lbs with 225/45/17 Hankook RS2-z212s. Would putting on the BFG 225/45/17 Drag radials make that much difference? or should I go wider as the car will be driven on the street.

2nd
Rx7 wheels 16X8 50 offset + 10mm aluminum spacers make this rim a +40 offset correct?. Will I need Longer wheel studs for 10mm spacers? If I got this rim setup I would be looking at getting the 255/50/16 bfgs

3rd Hunt down old Kosei K1s 16X8.5" 35 offset (unlikely to happen)

4th Who makes light 16X8 that look Decent.

5th Nitto 555R drag radials make a 245/45/17 But they recommend a 7.5" or wider wheel would these work with my 17X7s and not pose a saftey problem?

My car has a locked 50/50 center diff, an aluminum Driveshaft shop Driveshaft, and still running a Southbend Kevlar sprung Disk all to save the Shep Stage 4 and rest of driveline.

i would not bother with BFG or Nitto DR. If i were you i would just get RX7 wheels, longers studs, and 10-12mm spacers, and slap some 225/50 or 255/50 Hoosier DOT Drag Radials.

if you get the 225/50 DR all you need 5mm spacers and stock studs

if you get the 255/50 you need longer spacers and probably 12mm spacers, 10mm might not be enough.

check out jegs.com

I know GAStroker personally and first off I must say that car is badass. Looks even better in person. Now to actually fit those 255/50/16's you're going to need to find a wheel that will be a 32 offset or lower with or without spacers. I've never been a fan of using big spacers so your best bet is to try to find a wheel with that kind of offset. Not an easy task. However I have been searching(I want to use the same tires as well) and I've found these wheels at Tirerack.

WedsSport TC005 Light Grey Painted

All you need to make them work would be to use a 3mm spacer and effective have a 31 offset wheel. That will allow the tire to clear the control arm. You will need a strong suspension setup like coilovers to make sure these to hit the fenders though... because they will!

As far as traction goes with these tires they seem to hold up to the kind of power GAStroker was making but now that he is on the verge of low 9's, these were starting to spin a bit. Even up to 3rd gear sometimes! He has now moved on to some 15's with Hooiser Quicktime Pro's I believe. He'll have to chime in to tell you how those are working out as I'm not sure.

If low 10's or high 9's is all you're looking to achieve then these tires will probably be fine. However it would probably behove you to just buy the Hoosiers. The only nice feature I could see with the BFG's is that you can drive them on the street.(Not that you can't drive the Hoosiers on the street, but they are slicks!) Hopes this helps.

I know GAStroker personally and first off I must say that car is badass. Looks even better in person. Now to actually fit those 255/50/16's you're going to need to find a wheel that will be a 32 offset or lower with or without spacers. I've never been a fan of using big spacers so your best bet is to try to find a wheel with that kind of offset. Not an easy task. However I have been searching(I want to use the same tires as well) and I've found these wheels at Tirerack.

WedsSport TC005 Light Grey Painted

All you need to make them work would be to use a 3mm spacer and effective have a 31 offset wheel. That will allow the tire to clear the control arm. You will need a strong suspension setup like coilovers to make sure these to hit the fenders though... because they will!

As far as traction goes with these tires they seem to hold up to the kind of power GAStroker was making but now that he is on the verge of low 9's, these were starting to spin a bit. Even up to 3rd gear sometimes! He has now moved on to some 15's with Hooiser Quicktime Pro's I believe. He'll have to chime in to tell you how those are working out as I'm not sure.

If low 10's or high 9's is all you're looking to achieve then these tires will probably be fine. However it would probably behove you to just buy the Hoosiers. The only nice feature I could see with the BFG's is that you can drive them on the street.(Not that you can't drive the Hoosiers on the street, but they are slicks!) Hopes this helps.

Yeah, You guys along with all of my friends have all told me to go with the Hoosier QTPs LOL... Oh and thanks for finding those WEDsports those are awesome and I could not find them in 16X8 +34 thats pretty much was I was looking for... I also found some 16X8 ENKEI RPF1 +32 as well that weigh 14.0lbs too.

So let me get this straight, If I put 26X9.5X16 QTP's technically those will fit better than say a BFG 255-50-16 because it has a 10.3" footprint on an 8" rim? The QTP would only be 9.3" footpring or so on a 8" rim right? Am I thinking about this correctly? Oh and If Gastroker could reply that would even make this thread all that better! LOL I Know hes on alot of other forums but this one is the only one Not blocked at work. HAHA:coy:

I know 1G's can run a 1/2" spacer on OE studs, but I'm not sure about 2G's.

Why not run a 15" wheel?
My FWD 2g runs a 1/2" spacer on stock studs (I believe they are the same extension as the AWD's).

But I would ask again, why not 15's? You're looking for sidewall.

MB

This season, I'm going to run a Mickey Thompson 255/60/15 drag radial on 15X8 rota slipstreams for my 2G automatic talon.

In my evo 3 I am running a 15X8 rim with 235/60/15 BFG Drag Radials and the best 60 I have done is a 1.46 and I average around the 1.5's.Im running a 2.4 with a 35R turbo:D
I think sidewall does make a difference.

In my evo 3 I am running a 15X8 rim with 235/60/15 BFG Drag Radials and the best 60 I have done is a 1.46 and I average around the 1.5's.Im running a 2.4 with a 35R turbo:D

Sidewall is a huge factor, and one of the main reasons I'm so limited by my 18's. Just no sidewall to flex and give you a good bite.

Hey Rob, you ever thought about trying out the Mickey Thompsons?

I was thinking of doing that as I only have one more meet left in these tyres.
It will be interesting to see if there is a better result too:)
The MT's are much easier to buy here in Australia than the BFG's

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but is anyone running a 255 drag radial on a 2G?

Does anyone think a 255 radial will be over kill? Should I just go with a 235???
This is a built 35R AWD Auto car that shouldnt make more than 550whp. Please help!

For the record 255/50 16s will fit on a 1G just fine if your rim is backspaced properly(40-42mm).

I use 1/2" spacers on the rear and none in the front. Pics of the tires/wheels on the car are in my gallery on this site.

For the record 255/50 16s will fit on a 1G just fine if your rim is backspaced properly(40-42mm).

I use 1/2" spacers on the rear and none in the front. Pics of the tires/wheels on the car are in my gallery on this site.

Thanks. That helps alot:thumb:. How do you like the MT radials? I'm going with a 255-60-15.

Is anybody running 255/60/15 mickey thompsons with pics? Id like to see how they look and fit (i think they might have to much sidewall),... i would like to run the 255/50/16s but i really want to run a 15 inch rim (for the weight)....

ihatedsms said:
I want to run a 15 inch rim (for the weight)....
The weight difference isn't great enough to justify the smaller diameter rim. The taller tire itself will weigh more and offset the weight savings of the 1" shorter rims.

The weight difference isn't great enough to justify the smaller diameter rim. The taller tire itself will weigh more and offset the weight savings of the 1" shorter rims.

yea i guess your right, i just looked and the 255/60/15s are an inch taller then the 255/50/16s... so the 255/60/15s are out of the question.... i also wanted to run 15s not only because of the weight but the price as well.. 16 inch wheels are at least 100$ more and another 100$ more for the tires. i figured, less weight and less money... im probably just going to go with the 16s, and get some rota slipstreams (again had 2 sets) or if i can get my hands on some rx7 wheels with the 255/50/16s

I was going to run hoosier 225/50/16's for later this year. Hopefully they will work out well, but i'm no tire/rim guru with offset/back spacing and all that. I dont think I can run a wider tire with how low the car is, and new suspension is out of the budget. Now I have eibach sportline springs with K.Y.B. adjustable shocks. Any body run a similar set-up with good outcomes on the same size ?

i will be running my BBS moda wheels that are 16x8 with 45 offset and i hope to run 235-245/55/16's, i have a Red on a 2.0 and plan on losing traction but we are spending a lot of time on trialing proper tire pressure. might be going to a 35r soon so i know what ya mean when your concern with good rubber comes up.
I would spend some time tuning your suspension properly and getting a good tire pressure with some DR's. Suspension is soooo important when getting traction, adjusting caster and rear spring rate is what i am focusing on right now.
Think about it, Shep ran DR's into the 8's so i dont think slicks are a must for you right now.
Good luck! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back