The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Downpipe nuts backing out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92gsxbafaro

10+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2011
Spokane, Washington
Just like the title says I just got a new exhaust on my gsx and the nuts that connect the downpipe are backing out. My question is will red locktight be enough to hold them on?

Red will work but might be a bit too much, use blue as its more vibration and heat proof also stick some locking washers on that will also help them stay on

The nuts from the DP to the O2 housing?

Use a copper based anti-sieze lubricant and hot torque the bolts. (do a couple hard pulls and then torque them right away) You have to do the same thing when you plan on loosening them later on though...

I have never had an exhaust fastener come loose again after doing using that procedure. And I have never had a stripped, broken or corroded exhaust fastener using the copper based anti-sieze. It works better than the graphite based IMO.

If you are still having the problem of the nuts backing out, get yourself another nut for each stud and double them up. Just don't over torque them. Had the same problem and ended up taking the bolts out and going v-band.

What is so hard about buying the OEM nut and using it. They are not simple nuts, they are lock nuts and they do have a finite life. Lockwashers won't last under exhaust heat, they lose their spring. It's not a serious enough connection to warrant locktite. 200k miles and I don't know how many times I've had a down pipe off but I never had one back off. I also replaced the downpipe nuts periodically with new OEM nuts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back