The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Door won’t stay shut

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Kardashian

Probationary Member
Apr 13, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
My 97 gst spyder is being a pain in the ass again. Passenger door will not stay shut, the rocker arm that contacts the latch when closing the door doesn’t stay put, therefore the door just bounces off the car. I’ve poked and prodded. I’ve got it to close once by luck out of nowhere. And then it goes back to being loose and not shutting. What the hell is going on! New to the forum by the way hello fellow dsmers! Thanks for the help in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Welcome to the forum. Judging by the rust on the top of the jamb I would guess the door is sagging just a bit, but that isn't the main problem. The catch (black piece inside the jamb) isn't open so the pin is just bouncing off of it. It looks a bit mushroomed.

As @RamenPride said, spray some lubricant in there and work it. If that makes an improvement then you can go from there (take the interior door panel off, remove the latch mechanism, take it to a bench and restore it back to full working condition, then reinstall).

I would start with PB Blaster (or something similar) and, using the straw, spray somewhat liberally in and behind the catch. Make sure the window is up and you have cardboard or a towel under the door as you may get dripping on the floor/ground. Once you've doused the mechanism, insert a screwdriver into the open space of the catch and, while holding the door handle up to release the catch, use the screwdriver to move the catch to the open position. Then use the screwdriver and door handle combo to open and close the catch multiple times to work the PB Blaster in and through the mechanism. Respray if necessary. After a minute or so you should feel the catch begin to move smoother. Once that is done, use some silicone spray to lubricate the mechanism. Then test the door.

If everything seems to work fine, next check the alignment of the door. Like I said, seems like the door is sagging a bit, striking high. You can adjust the door or the striking mechanism depending on what you find.

If everything is back to reliable function, I would recommend you remove the mechanism from the door and thoroughly clean and grease it on a bench, then reinstall so you won't have to think about this again. Also consider lubricating the other door's mechanism as well.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum. Judging by the rust on the top of the jamb I would guess the door is sagging just a bit, but that isn't the main problem. The catch (black piece inside the jamb) isn't open so the pin is just bouncing off of it. It looks a bit mushroomed.

As @RamenPride said, spray some lubricant in there and work it. If that makes an improvement then you can go from there (take the interior door panel off, remove the latch mechanism, take it to a bench and restore it back to full working condition, then reinstall).

I would start with PB Blaster (or something similar) and, using the straw, spray somewhat liberally in and behind the catch. Make sure the window is up and you have cardboard or a towel under the door as you may get dripping on the floor/ground. Once you've doused the mechanism, insert a screwdriver into the open space of the catch and, while holding the door handle up to release the catch, use the screwdriver to move the catch to the open position. Then use the screwdriver and door handle combo to open and close the catch multiple times to work the PB Blaster in and through the mechanism. Respray if necessary. After a minute or so you should feel the catch begin to move smoother. Once that is done, use some silicone spray to lubricate the mechanism. Then test the door.

If everything seems to work fine, next check the alignment of the door. Like I said, seems like the door is sagging a bit, striking high. You can adjust the door or the striking mechanism depending on what you find.

If everything is back to reliable function, I would recommend you remove the mechanism from the door and thoroughly clean and grease it on a bench, then reinstall so you won't have to think about this again. Also consider lubricating the other door's mechanism as well.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!
If you can't get any of the above responses to work for you, let me know, I have replacement parts for the door latches if needed.
I will need the replacement part, the latch does close and open, it just won’t stay closed. Should have phrased it better. I don’t believe the lube is the solution since it does move. My cell is (813) 625-5373 if you could contact me I’ll buy it!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back