The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Door-Mounted Gauge Pod [3D Printed] | Interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The ASA is taking longer than anticipated to get here. They are saying Wednesday delivery now! Stupid COVID ruining shipping. Luckily the fine-tuning of the part is already done so once the ASA finally gets here, they’ll be pumping out.

I’m not worried. I’ve had good luck with printed products mounted right on my engine (lots of vibrations there).
Along this point, there is an improvement in the design and manufacturing! The gauge pods will now be printed out of ASA. This filament is very similar to ABS in its properties, but it has incredible resistance to UV light. ASA is commonly used for exterior printed parts, so there is no worry about this parts melting in the sun for whatever reason.
On another note, there aren’t great mounting possibilities for this part, but I’ve figured it out. I use both stock mounting mechanisms for the cover that usually sits in that area. The screw, and the plastic clippy bolt thing on the top. It is designed to sit really flush and clean. Took me a few tries to get it right but now I’m confident in this thing holding up.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also had to fix a tiny bit of a fitment issue on the bottom here when the door was closing, it would drag on the dash. Now there is plenty of clearance.

The ASA will take a few days to arrive. Mainly just COVID shipping delay. I was going to ship out the first batch on Friday this week, but I will have to push it through the weekend. Really excited to see these things work!

very neat work!
I have a spyder so if you want to send one over for science i can test fit ect LOL.. and send it back to ya with feedback and markies

very neat work!
I have a spyder so if you want to send one over for science i can test fit ect LOL.. and send it back to ya with feedback and markies
I am working on making a spyder one. I appreciate your help! It’s just waaay harder to do stuff when I’m not there in-person.
Had a ton of delays with printing. COVID was on top of all of it but I actually ended up frying my printer. Everything is fixed now and I have some non-spyder versions ready to ship out.

pm me Ill take one
Sweet! PMed.
I forgot to mention. I didn’t include any instructions for installation. I’m making a showcase video showing EXACTLY how to install the gauge pod. Also any tips/tricks if you have issues. Hoping that this method will work better than the paper instructions.

So maybe it was just that it was an older version... but the gauge pod actually fits on spyders! I remember visiting my buddy with one of the earlier prototypes and it didn’t fit the mirror location but the final design seems to fit on his car!
If any spyder owner wants one of these... lmk.

I just want to clarify something so I don’t run into issues going forward. When I was test-fitting on my buddy’s spyder, his pillar pods were angled very harshly towards the passenger. I think this was just how his were designed for whatever reason. I just want to clear up that I can not guarantee that the angle of the mirror gauge pod will match your pillar pods. I can, however, guarantee that the mirror gauge pod will point at the driver. I just can’t be sure that EVERY pillar pod is made the same.
You can check the pics in my Talon though, and if it looks like your pillar pod is around the same angle, you should be good.

Here's one I saved from 2003 when I was making these. Sorry Kai, I'm almost 20 years ahead of ya! :):)

A few thoughts to those wanting this. If you have a 'door slammer' car, this pod may cause you grief over time. Also, I strongly recommend you only use this for an electronic gauge. The boost line won't be happy over time, and oil/fuel is beyond an absolute no no. Other than that, it's a good spot to have a gauge.

The idea definitely wasn’t original. It could have been your part that I got the idea from!

The door slammed input is definitely something to keep in mind but personally, I think it’ll be fine. Obviously time will tell but I’ve had good luck with printed parts holding up in places that see a lot more vibrations than door slamming. I expected that vibrations would make that one screw one see a lot of stress so I designed that hole to have a ton of support.

The part is also mixed infill and in the particular mounting locations, the part is 100% infill. Good call on the boost lines! I doubt they will be super happy running through the boot and all but I tried my best to have different entry ways in the part for the connectors to avoid issues. Im sure if someone is dead-set on running a boost gauge in this location that some careful time with routing could make it work. Personally, on my eclipse I’m going to be making a boost gauge work here.

How willing would you be to make 3D printed versions of the OEM mirror trim piece that's always broken?
Like the thing that this gauge pod is replacing? I wasn’t aware that this piece broke a lot?

Yes, that piece. Out of the 8 2g DSMs I've owned, all 8 have had at least one of them broken.
I'll look into it man! Honestly I can totally do it, let me print one and I'll see how it turns out.

The first people should start receiving their gauge pods soon. I hope they look good! I just made a video on how to remove the stock trim piece and install my gauge pod. Let me know what you guys think about the video. I hope I answered all the questions, but please let me know if you need help with anything else.

I'll +1 on the stock replacement pieces if you make those! my originals broke and even the new-ish ones I bought are broken, just not as bad. If you make a 3D printed part out of ADA I'd be down to buy!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back