The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Door-Mounted Gauge Pod [3D Printed] | Interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey all!

I'm back experimenting with 3D printing and our cars after some much needed chill time. I was wondering, would there be any interest in this door-mounted gauge pod mount? It bolts-in to the factory hole, has all the required notches for the factory wires, as well as a hole in the back to run your gauge's wires through the door trim. It is made from ABS and will be polished. The infill is not yet determined. I'm thinking it will be varied-infill, where some of the part is 100% and some of it will be 50%. Still plenty strong.

At first I really wanted this to be an affordable item but COVID has ruined 3D printing. It has made it impossible to find filament, and when you find it, it's stupid expensive. If you're interested in the part, let me know. The price is looking to be around $65 USD shipped. I know, I know, for one gauge mount? But imagine flexing on everyone at the car meet when you swing open your door to display your dropping oil pressure!

Since the prototyping and printing of these guys is so expensive, this is kind-of just an interest thread to see how many people are interested in this. What would help even more is if you're interested to place an order, then place it! I could likely have the first batch of these guys out by the end of next week, possibly earlier.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

very neat but i would be a little concerned about the prolonged extra vibrations from opening and closing the door over the years, unless this thing is tight tight tight to the door frame. very neat concept

very neat but i would be a little concerned about the prolonged extra vibrations from opening and closing the door over the years
I’m not worried. I’ve had good luck with printed products mounted right on my engine (lots of vibrations there).
Along this point, there is an improvement in the design and manufacturing! The gauge pods will now be printed out of ASA. This filament is very similar to ABS in its properties, but it has incredible resistance to UV light. ASA is commonly used for exterior printed parts, so there is no worry about this parts melting in the sun for whatever reason.
On another note, there aren’t great mounting possibilities for this part, but I’ve figured it out. I use both stock mounting mechanisms for the cover that usually sits in that area. The screw, and the plastic clippy bolt thing on the top. It is designed to sit really flush and clean. Took me a few tries to get it right but now I’m confident in this thing holding up.

I also had to fix a tiny bit of a fitment issue on the bottom here when the door was closing, it would drag on the dash. Now there is plenty of clearance.

The ASA will take a few days to arrive. Mainly just COVID shipping delay. I was going to ship out the first batch on Friday this week, but I will have to push it through the weekend. Really excited to see these things work!

Angle towards driver and/or match the angle on the pillar pods and you’ve got a slam dunk on your hands.
It does for me at-least. I’m going to test it near my other car’s gauge pillar too just to be sure.

Is it possible to do it in the OEM medium grey color scale? I don't need an exact match, just a grey that's close rather black?
It is possible to do grey but I'm pretty limited in my options when it comes to ASA. As in, I COULD print in grey but I don't have many grey options to try and find the best color-matched one. I also wouldn't print in grey unless there was a bit more interest from others.

It is possible to do grey but I'm pretty limited in my options when it comes to ASA. As in, I COULD print in grey but I don't have many grey options to try and find the best color-matched one. I also wouldn't print in grey unless there was a bit more interest from others.
I mean black wouldn't be the death of me, just curious. Thanks for the reply.

I should also mention that I’m not sure this part fits on spyders. I briefly tested it on my buddies car and it seems like the spyder doors and slightly different than the 2g hard roof doors LOL.
I believe it's in the pillar, they have a lower angle... ?? Which then would effect the door I suppose... Good call though

I believe it's in the pillar, they have a lower angle... ?? Which then would effect the door I suppose... Good call though
That’s what it seemed like it is. The window is more angley.

I should also mention that I’m not sure this part fits on spyders. I briefly tested it on my buddies car and it seems like the spyder doors and slightly different than the 2g hard roof doors LOL.

Well damn, I really wanted one. Well if you can get it to fit Spyders, I'd buy one.

Same here, just wondering how fun it is working through a door jam and wire boot.

Its not that bad, when I rewired my sound system there was plenty of room and it was fairly easy to fish through the rubber wire boot and door jamb.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back