The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Doing ur own paintjob

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HASHIMOTO

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2002
London, Ontario_Canada
guys im really interested now in doing my own paintjob.... well i ahve a 93' tsi, does anyone knw a link that sorta gives u COMPLETE step by step instructoins on how to repaint ur car from scratch? (same colour or colour change

If you have a workshop it's alot easier!

If the paintwork is basically sound i.e no chips, dents or scratches, clean the car first using a washing up detergent to strip off all the wax.

Bodyshops use an abrasive called 'Scotchbrite', in very fine grades, they go by colour. You need the light grey colour. Use this in conjunction with some warm water and detergent. This will abrade and key the surface without leaving scratch marks. It leaves a very smooth and flat surface thats perfect for acheiving a good finish.

For best results, remove as many parts as you can, instead of masking them. This will minimise the risk of getting dirt in the paint and allow you to prep areas that might flake in the future. The use of a pre-paint wipe is essential to prevent silicone contaminants getting into the final finish and causing fish eyes. Tack rags aswell are required.

I use two-pack paint but this carries certain enviromental laws due to it's poisonous nature. If you can get away with it, use it, but make sure you have an air fed mask, this is essential.

Spraying is an art itself but if your patient you can acheive a good finish, you spray a colour base coat first which is easy as it drys to a semi-matt finish. 2 -3 coats should cover most easily. Then depending on the laquer 2-3 coats. If you try an aim for a mirror finish you will get runs, and it will take ages to dry! You apply the laquer on top of the base coat within 20 minutes. If you leave it much longer you will have to lightly sand the basecoat to ensure good adhesion. 1 light coat first, then 5 minutes to go off, then your 2nd coat which should be thicker and build up some depth and finish, it also helps if the laquer is thinned out slightly to improve the flow but be careful!

Once cured, the paint will be ready for nibbing and buffing to get the final finish.

This will give you a paint finish thats similar to the original maunfacturers finish. For show finish, you'll need lots of practice, and ideally a proper spraying booth with an oven...

There are loads more details i've missed but anything you need to know, just ask. Hope this helps!

EDIT= Should have mentioned cost factors. £250 to spray my car myself, in excess of £1000 to get the same job done

Gareth
PS Yes i sprayed my own car, and if someone gave me a job doing it full-time in the States, then i'd do it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back