The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Doing the Army thing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I grew up army. Born at Ft. Jackson, brother born at Ft.Devon, grew up in germany. Personally I joined the Air Force. My dad confided in me once, he had a shit job, dropped out of school, but if the Airforce recruiter was open he would have joined them instead. But the Army did him good.

I almost joined the service (Coast Guard). Took the ASVAB and just needed a physical
and to sign the dotted line. Then I got a better paying job a decided to bite the idea in the butt.

I love it, if I could go back I would have joined up sooner. great training, lots of fun, and a ton of beniffits. just make sure you pick a job you will like and don't let the recuiter try to get you to take a job you don't want.

I took the ASVAB (well amost completed) I found it an insult to my inteligence! and walked out of of the test. I grew up USAF and was hatched in Lakenheath, Eng. Ive always gotten into military stuff! but i never joined. Its not for every body. If my country absolutly needed me I would have been there, but Im glad i did not join for one reason.
That is that most sevicemen get out after 4 to 8 yrs. and when they do its like being 18 in the job market and all your peers now have 4 to 8 yrs more experience than you. Ive seen this repeatedly and there was a Time magizine artical on it recently. My advice is If you have another way to go to college take that route instead!

ShadowWulf said:
*Insert the infamous Anti-Flag song here*

I'm hoping your not saying that you don't like America, but I won't start a flame war. I don't want this getting locked.

Redmachine said:
I grew up army. Born at Ft. Jackson, brother born at Ft.Devon, grew up in germany. Personally I joined the Air Force. My dad confided in me once, he had a shit job, dropped out of school, but if the Airforce recruiter was open he would have joined them instead. But the Army did him good.
My dad did the same thing. 82nd airborne at ft bragg. He said he loved his job, but the army was shit to their people. Air force is the way to go man. If you dont go, your going ot be one of the people at the deployed locations hating hte air force because we get the cool shit. Last time i checked, army and marines have to pay for alot of the shit we get issued, i.e Gortex (250 bucks a set), boots and other stuff. Im currently deployed wiht the air force in africa adn i see firsthand how shitty the marines nad army have it compared to us.

But ultimately its up to you. If you want to g oarmy go for it. But i don tlike to get shot at, and i like my computers and ps2.

bfdahl said:
"DONT want to be American Idiot" :rolleyes:
MyEclipse5 said:
I'm hoping your not saying that you don't like America, but I won't start a flame war. I don't want this getting locked.

Nono the band doesn't mean anti-american. It means anti-war.I believe the song he's talking about is "You've Got to Die for the Government", by Anti-Flag. It talks about the abuse that the US has forced on its own soldiers in wars throughout history..how the US is willing to sacrifice its own people to gain power and money,etc.

virginia army national guard!!! 229 engineering battalion in fredericksburg.

been in since nov. 2001, 8months of basic/AIT at ft. leonardwood, mo. got back home for 2 weeks of leave for christmas and was deployed to the pentagon for a year of active duty. been to ft bragg for 3 months last year ending in sept. its fun and learn hell of alot. good luck

a_scobel said:
Nono the band doesn't mean anti-american. It means anti-war.I believe the song he's talking about is "You've Got to Die for the Government", by Anti-Flag. It talks about the abuse that the US has forced on its own soldiers in wars throughout history..how the US is willing to sacrifice its own people to gain power and money,etc.

:rolleyes:

Yep, thats where I get my history and political news from, a third rate wanna be punk band who are probably just saying this shit to cause controversy so they can get their name out there. If your against the war, fine, I'm not exactly for it either. But to say stuff like that is idiotic. Especially when compared with the likes of Stalin or Hitler. Those men abused their soldiers. God I would love to get into a debate just once with idiots like these to just try and understand how the hell they come to that conclusion.

To everyone in the service, I salute you. I'll be doing my part as soon as I am out of school.

edit: sorry a_scobel, none of that was directed at you if it sounded like that. Just throwing in my two cents.

crashed97tsi said:
:rolleyes:

Yep, thats where I get my history and political news from, a third rate wanna be punk band who are probably just saying this shit to cause controversy so they can get their name out there. If your against the war, fine, I'm not exactly for it either. But to say stuff like that is idiotic. Especially when compared with the likes of Stalin or Hitler. Those men abused their soldiers. God I would love to get into a debate just once with idiots like these to just try and understand how the hell they come to that conclusion.

To everyone in the service, I salute you. I'll be doing my part as soon as I am out of school.

edit: sorry a_scobel, none of that was directed at you if it sounded like that. Just throwing in my two cents.

Actually they've been around since '88. Taken from their site:

While Pat and I had already used the name Anti-Flag years earlier in our other band we had been kicking around the idea of using it again. Why? Well, it was like this... the name was originally inspired as a result of the late 80's Pittsburgh scene being infiltrated by a bunch of ass holes who toted the slogan, "Freedom not fascism". Well, that would've been great if these jerks practiced what they preached, but unfortunately, their idea of punk rock was VERY fascist! They took to sporting the American flag on their jackets, saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and (like the bunch of goons they were) beating the #### out of each other and anyone who got in the way. (basically they were just macho jock types who happened to have gotten into punk) At shows I would see these ####ers sporting their flags singing along to the Sub Humans, Exploited, Circle Jerks, whoever happened to be on tour, and I would wonder why? Weren't these bands completely speaking out against everything these "punx" believed in? It seemed to me that these kids were really missing the point to it all. They needed to look "fascism" up in the dictionary so they could learn that fascism controls the masses by 1. Promoting extreme nationalism, and 2. Using systematic violence and terror. (To these kids credit they were against racism but they failed to realize that you can be anti racist and still be a fascist!)

They're far from a third-rate punk band, also.

Ps., I'm not against the war.

Of all the times to join up...

a_scobel said:
Actually they've been around since '88. Taken from their site:

They're far from a third-rate punk band, also.

Ps., I'm not against the war.

didn't mean to say you were. WHat I should of said was that I'm sick of the media(bands included) trying to tell me what think about things. I'm very proud to be an american and I'm very proud of the things this country has accomplished. I guess I just lost my head a bit. I apologize. As for calling them a third rate punk band, I think pretty much any punk band is thrid rate, but that is just personal preference. Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to. This is just like the 18th post today I have read on various message boards about the punk view of our country and I guess it just through me over the edge a bit.

seriously gotta agree with leet. bad timing dude. have you considered taking some time to work, save money and explore your options? and have you seen ferenheit 9/11? have you heard green day's album? be aware of the cause you'll probably die, lose limbs or be crippled for. and please don't say it's your only option, i won't even get started on that.

crashed97tsi said:
didn't mean to say you were. WHat I should of said was that I'm sick of the media(bands included) trying to tell me what think about things. I'm very proud to be an american and I'm very proud of the things this country has accomplished. I guess I just lost my head a bit. I apologize. As for calling them a third rate punk band, I think pretty much any punk band is thrid rate, but that is just personal preference. Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to. This is just like the 18th post today I have read on various message boards about the punk view of our country and I guess it just through me over the edge a bit.

Heh you didn't offend me, it's cool. My bro listens to Anti-Flag, so he knows about them...I could care less.

Anyways, back to the topic..should've gone AF, dude :D Kidding

crashed97tsi said:

Freedom of Speech is one of the rights your military protects.

It's quite simple really, if you don't like their message, don't buy their CD's.

If you don't like what you see posted, either respond in a reasonable manner, or move on.

Can we please stay on topic?

Have you considered any other branches? Have you taken the ASVAB? If you have post your score, you never know guys, he might not have a choice other than the army/marines. So people like it also. But if you dont have a certain reason to go army, i would look at another service, i.e. air force. Mind you i am partial. But i have seen firsthand the difference in living between the two services here in africa and on TDYs.

i think about joining the service all the time. I have a friend that was from what i hear "special ops" in the army. he says not to join the serivce because they treat you like shit. I still think if something drastic happened that changed my life, i would enlist...my roommate left school last semester and joined the Marines.

Well the army may not be the smartest one to joine. But ever since I was a little kid I always wanted to joine. And I have worked almost everywhere around this county so im jobless right now.

My first thought was infantry, not ever sure thats spelled right LOL, but now im thinking ground survailance, Militery police, or mechacnic. I didn't score to well on asvab (39) I have been out of school to long and haven't studied.

I also am thinking about something in comunications, but im not sure my scores will qualify for it.

I leave out to MEP's tomarrow... oh and no bonus for me :( (GED)

Been in the Oregon National Guard for almost 2 years. Combat Engineer. Joined ROTC back in September and will be commissioned when I get my degree. Trying to branch Aviation but I will see what happens.

But choose a MOS that you think you want to do. Don't pick one because it has 2k dollars more in bonuses that you will be taxed damn near 40% and won't see for 4 years any ways.

Congradulations in having zero skills that you can apply to the real workforce. Have fun in the military.

RipperXX said:
Well the army may not be the smartest one to joine. But ever since I was a little kid I always wanted to joine. And I have worked almost everywhere around this county so im jobless right now.

My first thought was infantry, not ever sure thats spelled right LOL, but now im thinking ground survailance, Militery police, or mechacnic. I didn't score to well on asvab (39) I have been out of school to long and haven't studied.

I also am thinking about something in comunications, but im not sure my scores will qualify for it.

I leave out to MEP's tomarrow... oh and no bonus for me :( (GED)

I joined the Army Reserves and really enjoyed. Just make sure you enjoy what your doing and you should be ok.

If you like Survailance then look at Military Intel. Military Police is a good one and it will make it easy for you to get a law enforcement ( even FBI) job when you get out. But just to warn you. My best friend was a Reserve MP and was called up twice. Once to Bosnia for 9 month and once to Iraq for 1 1/2 years. MP are one of the most active forces in the Army. But from what my buddy says and what I;ve seen they get some cool training. Also the $80,000 he had in his account after 4 years was nice too.

I was in Signal. In the rear with the gear in the A/C shelter. Just got lucky on the type of local unit that I got in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back