The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Doing a 4g63 turbo swap onto a mighty max.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidloot

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2005
oakville, Connecticut
Not sure where to post this topic, so i figured i'd start here. I'm looking on information about how people have gone about turboing mighty max's in the past.

Some questions i have if anyone here happens to know are:

Which model's can you do a direct 4g63 swap, i believe i read before that the 2wd mighty max's are the ones that are swap able.

Also i was wondering, if you are to swap a turbo 4g63, can you use things like dsmlink and what kind of tranny can you use for the swap.

These are kind of starting questions i have, because i've wanted to take on a project like this for a long time and i just really love mighty max's. So if someone can help me with some info on this, it would be really awesome, thanks a lot for your time.

Well if you have a 4g63 and the correct ecu for it i don't see why DSMlink wouldn't work. And i think (not sure) that the 4g63 head will fit on the engine in your truck. It may be an easier route.

I don't own a mighty max yet, but i'm planing on getting one, and getting this project going. Its been on my mind for a long time now. So i may find a shell and swap it.

Also about what you said about swapping the heads, maybe someone will know how the blocks are on the 4g63 mighty max's, if it's better to swap a whole 6blot into it or swap heads

they don'y have a 4g63. I thought it I read where they hace a g64b. But i may be wrong. But 92+ have the 4g64.

Just found it. the 85-88 have the g64b.

And i think the mighty max has a different size bolt pattern for the transmission.

Ok so here goes:

1st: There are NO stock OEM Mighty Max / D50 trucks that have a transmission that bolts to a 4g63 without modifications

2nd: :: Project Zero G :: < check here for the transmissions that are available (manual gearboxes) or you can use a Toyota transmission with an adapter from Bill > Japanese Auto Repair

3rd: If you want an auto trans try here > https://secure.buschurracing.com/ca...22_98&osCsid=14ae1935afc5c8e4d012bb54a6f0de08

4th: You use the wiring, ecu, and engine from a turbo 1g (6 bolt would be my prefference). The 2g's are OBDII and are much more of a pain in the ass to get everything working right for emissions BS.

5th: Go on cardomain (www.cardomain.com) and talk with people that have 4g swapped MM's already.

I don't own a mighty max yet, but i'm planing on getting one, and getting this project going. Its been on my mind for a long time now. So i may find a shell and swap it.

Also about what you said about swapping the heads, maybe someone will know how the blocks are on the 4g63 mighty max's, if it's better to swap a whole 6blot into it or swap heads

This site should help you alot:

:: Project Zero G::

This goes into the varying blocks of the 4gXX kind. I have a conquest and was going to do this but i'm getting ride of it. But the same applies because both the MM and the Conquest/Starion have the g54b, but the difference in terms of doing the swap are the models of might maxes that had a "wide block" 4g64 (meaning the base of the block (skirt) is wider) DSM's have the narrow block version. Anyways, that's the jist of it. So find your mighty max, find a wideblock 4g64, and by the way, the mounts on the mightymax will mount onto the 4g64 wideblock if i'm not mistaken. Check out the site, it will help!!

KJ

Ok so here goes:

1st: There are NO stock OEM Mighty Max / D50 trucks that have a transmission that bolts to a 4g63 without modifications

2nd: :: Project Zero G :: < check here for the transmissions that are available (manual gearboxes) or you can use a Toyota transmission with an adapter from Bill > Japanese Auto Repair

3rd: If you want an auto trans try here > https://secure.buschurracing.com/ca...22_98&osCsid=14ae1935afc5c8e4d012bb54a6f0de08

4th: You use the wiring, ecu, and engine from a turbo 1g (6 bolt would be my prefference). The 2g's are OBDII and are much more of a pain in the ass to get everything working right for emissions BS.

5th: Go on cardomain (www.cardomain.com) and talk with people that have 4g swapped MM's already.

DAMN, beat me to it!!! ROFL :thumb:

I had a guy telling me the transmission from a Mitsubishi starion or a Chrysler conquest TSI will bolt to 4g63. Both cars are RWD, might be an option worth checking out.

I had a guy telling me the transmission from a Mitsubishi starion or a Chrysler conquest TSI will bolt to 4g63. Both cars are RWD, might be an option worth checking out.

Well seeing how they are the same car with only minor differences.

Which are the same car. the Starion and a talon. or the starion and the conquest

a conquest/starion trans WILL bolt up to a 4g63.

if you look hard enought for vehicle specs on these cars, you will see that they came with the 2.6l or either the 2.0L 4g63 motor.
i have one of these cars, and damn there fun!! i was planning on building it up for a drag car, but i decided to get a gsx instead

This swap is incredibly easy. Use a 2.0 mighty max 5 spd trans(bolts to the 4g63), mighty max clutch, mighty max engine mounts, reverse the turbo, block off the throttle body hole on the intake and weld a flange to the hole you bore into the other side of manifold. 1g fuel pump is a direct replacement. Beat the firewall and brake booster with a hammer(some clearance issues). Build some piping and run some wires. Took me a couple weeks to do mine. Funnest vehicle I ever owned. Wish I hadn't sold it!!

Attachments

• PB240163.jpg
    PB240163.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7,349
This swap is incredibly easy. Use a 2.0 mighty max 5 spd trans(bolts to the 4g63), mighty max clutch, mighty max engine mounts, reverse the turbo, block off the throttle body hole on the intake and weld a flange to the hole you bore into the other side of manifold. 1g fuel pump is a direct replacement. Beat the firewall and brake booster with a hammer(some clearance issues). Build some piping and run some wires. Took me a couple weeks to do mine. Funnest vehicle I ever owned. Wish I hadn't sold it!!

What about the alt, ps and a/c??? Are they still MM? Or do you need 1g stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 1991 Mightymax, it is already wired for a 6bolt swap...it will have a TH350, with an Adapter Plate from Bill Hincher. Project zero has some great info. I cannot wait to get this project started!

So you guys are sayng if i have a 86 conquest tsi that i can bolt in a 4g63 right onto the stock transmission? I think the car has the 2.6 in it now. I have a 4g64 out of an eclipse and ecu and harness but i dont think its wideblock like you guys said. What would be you guys vote in how to do this?

I would think it would be a simple build seing as you have the engine bay room, I'm not sure were your from but I'm in idaho so emission is not a worry. I think you would get better inpute and experience advice on a MM 4G swap forum. I have a MM sitting in my back yard ready for the swap I'm just waiting to find a donor. Using the 1g wiring harness and ecu you should be able to swap easily. Trouble is getting a bell housing to mount to the block and transmission of choice. Good luck, and my advice start a build blog, moderators are gunna flag this soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back