The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Dogbox transmission [Merged 3-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well how fast is 3rd at say 8000Rpm? You must need 4th to run a 1/4 mile no?

is anyone using the dog box gears from magnus motorsports? the thought of full throttle clutchless power shifts sounds awesome. their web site says they'll handle up to 1000ft/lbs and everything fits into the stock dsm awd case.some thoughts on this would be cool.
thanks brad

I thought it was awesome, but then I saw the price - $4800.

I agree it is a lot of money, and it won't be a quick easy dicision but for what you get i'm seriously considering it. i'd probably never have to rebuild another tranny again.I haven't talked to them yet but i think their pricing is in CND dollars as well.

You relize that a dogbox isnt street friendly at all. YOu have to shift fast and hard ALL the time, plus all the gears are straight cut, so they will wine ALL the time. You may want to look into it more before spending that kind of cash on a piece you may not want. I bet resale would be a bi***.

boostedinaz said:
You relize that a dogbox isnt street friendly at all. YOu have to shift fast and hard ALL the time, plus all the gears are straight cut, so they will wine ALL the time. You may want to look into it more before spending that kind of cash on a piece you may not want. I bet resale would be a bi***.
ya i can see how that would be an issue for street driving.the whining i can live with,but in slow stop and go traffic trying to shift......i was thinking it was more like a syquential shifting tranny.well for the money maybe a built shep tranny would be much smarter.thanx for the info.

slammd said:
ya i can see how that would be an issue for street driving.the whining i can live with,but in slow stop and go traffic trying to shift......i was thinking it was more like a syquential shifting tranny.well for the money maybe a built shep tranny would be much smarter.thanx for the info.

yeah i think for the first few months it'd be a novelty and you'd love it, but after a while it'd just get pretty rediculous.

Plus you have to change the tranny fluid every 2500 miles with expensive fluid.

L2RTSiAWD said:
Plus you have to change the tranny fluid every 2500 miles with expensive fluid.

that part kinda sucks, but the idea of not having to push in the clutch and being able to ram shifts as hard as i want would be kinda nice, especially since the tranny in my car is the only thing im afraid of. plus stop and go traffic would be a huge pain in the ass.

For 90% of the people on this board, probably more, a good Shep or TRE rebuild will be more than enough. If a person drives normally and when driving hard use common sense then a good built tranny will hold up just fine. Unless you have scattered a few good rebuilt trannies, Im not talking about Bubba's Chicken and Trannies rebuild, then I could see the possibilty of a dogbox.

i guess my main concern is high rpm shifting. wouldn't even a good rebuilt tranny have issues shifting at 8000 or 8500 rpm?I'm under the impression that its just the nature of the beast that these trannys don't like to be worked hard especially at high rpm.

slammd said:
i guess my main concern is high rpm shifting. wouldn't even a good rebuilt tranny have issues shifting at 8000 or 8500 rpm?I'm under the impression that its just the nature of the beast that these trannys don't like to be worked hard especially at high rpm.

Shep shifts very high, not sure on the actual number, so I am sure he can get you what you need if you tell him. There are a few that shift past 8500 and they all have built trannies so it can be done.

As far as the shifts go you DO need some sort of ignition/power interrupt to shift the dogbox- you either tap the clutch or use a stutterbox. This tranny is NOT for the casual DSM.

Baron4406 said:
As far as the shifts go you DO need some sort of ignition/power interrupt to shift the dogbox- you either tap the clutch or use a stutterbox. This tranny is NOT for the casual DSM.

What are you talking about???? This isnt a pneumatic sequential transmission that F1 uses. It's a simple H-pattern dogbox that is designed inside the 4G63 bellhousing. All you do is let off the gas for 1/10th of a second and slam it into the next gear.

boostedinaz said:
Shep shifts very high, not sure on the actual number

If I remember correctly from an article from Hot Rod, its something like 9-10k on the 1-2 shift. I'll go check.

*EDIT* Can't find the mag, but it was definitely in the 9k range

has anyone purchased one of these from magnuss or any other dist. if yes how is it on the streets,what about a sequential setup I found one several months ago for 10k with 6spd.and a set of different set of gear ratio,cv joints and transfercase.for the 4g63 1g or 2g awd.you info on these would be greatly apreciated.

stephen.

Is this just pillow talk or are you serious?

Dog box is amazing but requires excessive maintance. What driving/setup do you have that needs something like this?

**edit** I still couldnt get a hold of Alex but I did get a hold of Brian. He was more then helpful. ANswered my questions and xplained they were a little behind. No big deal. Anyways the guys at dogbox have been good to deal with
later

Im looking for some feedback from someone who has had a tranny upgrade from dogboxracing.com
Im looking into getting the awd race upgrade for 1200

positive or negative feedback will be much appreciated

thanks jon

I dont have it in my car, but Ive done quite a bit of research on it, and if its for dragging then its great, beyond repute, but if you will take it to the street I don't think it would be your best bet, also if your not putting down nasty power and breaking syncro's then its over kill a stage 3 or 4 from shep will be plenty fine for the power your mods will put down, and its going to cost in the realm of 5k or a little more with the awd race upgrade done to it. It only has 4 gears, but Magnus I believe makes a 5th gear for it an extra 700$ but since its probably just for dragging for you then I doubt you will need 5th gear, it doesn't have reverse either, so I hope you dont want to take it on the street. Magnus sells their dogmission for 3800$ +shipping.

fourreGsixty3 said:
I dont have it in my car, but Ive done quite a bit of research on it, and if its for dragging then its great, beyond repute, but if you will take it to the street I don't think it would be your best bet, also if your not putting down nasty power and breaking syncro's then its over kill a stage 3 or 4 from shep will be plenty fine for the power your mods will put down, and its going to cost in the realm of 5k or a little more with the awd race upgrade done to it. It only has 4 gears, but Magnus I believe makes a 5th gear for it an extra 700$ but since its probably just for dragging for you then I doubt you will need 5th gear, it doesn't have reverse either, so I hope you dont want to take it on the street. Magnus sells their dogmission for 3800$ +shipping.

Why does this always happen? He is not talking about the Magnus "Dogbox". He is talking about a trans rebuilt from dogboxracing.com. I have no personal experence with them, just thought I would save your thread before it turned into a "dogbox" transmission discussion. Seems like every time someone asks about dogboxracing.com everyone assumes they are refering to the Magnus dogbox, well I guess Shep is making one now too.

Try NJDSM you may get better results.

Here is a review I ran across on another forum:

These guys are legit . I bought a race built tranny for my 94 awd eagle . Cheapest price around , and no issues . I have been dropping the clutch at 7k and grabbing second under power, gas pedal to the floor and it goes right into gear . Couldnt ask for a better tranny as far as I can tell been 3 months now with no whine or noise ..... Thanks Guys ..... Brian your tranny rocks .....

Core deposit ... refunded ,through paypal ...

Quick shipping payed for by them .....

To manny good things to say , I hope these guys keep doing what they are doing .

" They are a dependable shop." Email me if you have any questions

[email protected]

http://www.vendors-reviewed.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=127

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back